Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Parkside bandsaw on offer today

• 12-03-2018 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

If anyone's been waiting for this to come back around, LIDL have their Parkside 350W bandsaw on offer from today at €110.

I can't say for sure, but it looks practically identical to the Scheppach HBS20 bar a few of the screw holes for the panel openings have moved. This is the same bandsaw Aldi were offering last year, and no doubt it will be back there in a few weeks.

There's a decent review of the Aldi/Scheppach model on Peter Millard's YouTube channel (title typo not withstanding):

(I finally gave up waiting a month ago and bought the Screwfix Titan model, which is slightly more expensive but has a mitre fence and wider cutting depth; happy with it so far, after fixing the beyond-crappy stock fence.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BikerTech

I bought one of these today.
    Will see how it goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tenshot wrote: »
    There's a decent review of the Aldi/Scheppach model on Peter Millard's YouTube channel (title typo not withstanding):
    how does the lidl one compare to the aldi one though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I almost grabbed one of the Lidl saws (I reckon it's Scheppach too) but the lack of the mitre slot is a deal breaker for me.

Just as an aside, at the opposite end of the market, I just spotted this Inca on Donedeal, I wish I had the funds available!

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/inca-bandsaw/18060969

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I almost grabbed one of the Lidl saws (I reckon it's Scheppach too) but the lack of the mitre slot is a deal breaker for me.

Just as an aside, at the opposite end of the market, I just spotted this Inca on Donedeal, I wish I had the funds available!

That inca is over priced for what it is, I would buy this quicker

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/large-wood-bandsaw/17886793

kadman wrote: »
    That inca is over priced for what it is, I would buy this quicker

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/large-wood-bandsaw/17886793

It's a beast isn't it?! - 10ft high!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

It's a beast isn't it?! - 10ft high!!

Sure is...size matters here:)

I wouldn,t like to be lifting it too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

am tempted - what are the thoughts on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I have the titan version of this from screwfix; I think it's worth the money. It's limited; forget any real resawing, though it can handle stuff up to about 75mm. You can do small bandsaw boxes but anything large is right out. The blade it comes with is surprisingly good but I still bought a few from tuffsaws (the good news is that blades are quite cheap at this size). I also futzed about with the guides a lot, replacing bearings and such (at this size, the bearings are industrial lego and if you measure the inner and outer diameters and thickness, it's simple to find suitable replacements). I found for general work a 3/4 inch blade works well and a 1/4 inch blade is handy for curvy bits with tight radii like in bandsaw boxes.

I find I mostly use it for doing rough cuts, or long ripcuts that would otherwise be tedious; it is definitely not up to being the last or even the penultimate tool to touch the wood, but it's handy nonetheless, especially at the price.

Oh, and you might as well save time and throw out the fence it comes with. I did after a week, it's utterly useless. You get better results clamping a 2x4 to the table with f-clamps or some such similar ad hoc solution, on the few occasions you'd use this with a fence (and I almost never do).

• Advertisement

Aldi's one is coming up again soon. This one was reviewed extensively by Peter Millard and came out surprisingly positively:

https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2018-06-03?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ADIY&lowerBound=1&upperBound=299&text=

Peter Millard:

If you look at the description on this video, you can see links to all of the reviews and comparisons he did between the various entry level bandsaws, including the Titan and Axminster's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNClPBQy_Es

I think they're all basically coming off the same chinese factory line, with small variations between brands (things like how the doors latch, that sort of thing).

BTW, I said above a 3/4 inch blade, I must have inhaled too much sawdust, I meant 3/8 inch - 3/4 inch wouldn't fit on the wheels or through the guides if you put the gullet on the middle of the wheel like you're supposed to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i managed to pick an aldi one up on sunday - reduced to €70 in the finglas store, there was another still there on sunday evening.
    it does the job, but you can see it was very cheaply made. the top wheel does not run completely true.
    the manual that came with it explicitly mentions scheppach for support queries too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I spotted a loose one in ALDI Nutgrove on Saturday morning as well, if anyone is still hunting.

Advertisement