Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner Permit Query

• 12-03-2018 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My brother is looking to get back on the road on a bike,his last permit expired in February 2013,that is the easy bit,the problem he is having is some are saying that as it is over 5 years ago he must sit the theory test again while others have said that his full car licence is keeping it 'alive'
    What is the factual story?Can he just apply for the test and renew or does he have to start from the beginning again?

Car licence isn't keeping anything alive! He should contact NDLS, that theory test might still be valid, as some of them are from earlier years. He will have to then apply for new permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The theory test from 2001 covered cars and bikes. If your brother's entitlements have never expired for years and years then invoking the theory test from back then is perfectly allowable.

What would have had to happen for the theory test from back then to NOT be allowable would be that, for example, he did the theory test in 2001, got a 2 year permit, didn't renew it a period of 5 years or more and had to start from scratch, say in 2009. That would meant that his 2001 permit was historic and not allowable and he'd have to take the bike specific DTT today.

The other reason is also regarding expired full entitlements - let's say for example, your brother got a permit in 2001 and passed the full test within 2001 but for some reason he only got a 3 year full licence (eg medical reasons) - in 2004 his full licence would have expired and he didn't renew it ever, that full licence would have been nonrenewable after 2014 and he would have had to fully start from scratch today.

TL;DR:
    If he's had an unbroken driving record since 2001 without any periods having no licence or permits for 5-10 years+, then the 2001 DTT is usable today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If he has had a full car licence since the early 2000s after doing the theory test in 2001 then he simply does not have to do the theory test. In fact, he should not have had to take the bike theory test in 2009 as the 2001 theory test covered him even then.

If I have the timeline right, I bet you a pound to a penny that the NDLS are just misunderstanding the rules. If I have the timeline right, tell your brother to CALL the NDLS and as the question "do I have a valid 'Type 1' theory test on file?'. If they say it's not, tell him to ask why it's still not valid today. If they say yes, tell your brother go back to the NDLS centre and tell them you have a valid type 1 theory test on file from 2001 and that covers cars and bikes and if they are confused, they need to speak to a supervisor.

The NDLS get this one wrong all the time and once you challenge it, people get satisfaction. NDLS agents are simply not faced with people in your brother's situation every day so they apply the strictest version of the rules, not aware that people like your brother are exceptions to the general rule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement