Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp end of contract issues

Options
  • 12-03-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I've been working in the HSE as a temporary Clerical Officer. To say this dept is understaffed is an understatement. To help we're on our 2nd agency C/O as getting someone from a panel is imposssible.

My contract was originally from Jan 2017 to the end of Dec 2017 but was extended to end of Mar 2018 (3 months is the most they can do).

My issue is that my contract is set to end in 3 weeks. I've been here over a year and the agency temp has been here about a month but there's no sign of him going anywhere.. he's doing archiving mainly where I'm doing finance so I know how much more it costs to have him here than me..

Am I being petty or is my issue a real one? TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

What is your issue? They are two different jobs with two different temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Would you be happy to take a pay cut and step down to archiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Melzers

Batgurl wrote: »
    Would you be happy to take a pay cut and step down to archiving?

The sad thing is it wouldn't be a pay cut even.. we're both grade IIIs, I was promoted for 7 months to a grade IV so I could take over finance from the person who left our dept but with my extension I'm back to a III yet still have same duties as when I was a IV

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Melzers wrote: »
    I suppose I came through the NRS and him an agency, so he'd be a tempier temp I suppose..

"a tempier temp" :confused::confused:

Seriously... just do your job and leave things be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Unless they extend your contract (doubtful) I'd say find out which agency he's with and get registered. You might end up back with him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Unless they extend your contract (doubtful) I'd say find out which agency he's with and get registered. You might end up back with him!

Would OP then be the “tempier, tempier temp” ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Melzers wrote: »
    The sad thing is it wouldn't be a pay cut even.. we're both grade IIIs, I was promoted for 7 months to a grade IV so I could take over finance from the person who left our dept but with my extension I'm back to a III yet still have same duties as when I was a IV

oh, you're one of those? sure how could they let you go, the place would fall apart without you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PickleJar

Could you speak to your supervisor/manager about what's to happen in the 3 weeks - i.e. are you for sure out the door or is there a possibility of a further extension? I spent years in the public service as a temp CO (TCO) and supervisors were always pretty good about giving a heads up about such things.

Regarding the tempier temp that's unrelated - decisions about agencies and costs are made for reasons that often don't make sense to the other temps on the ground. If your supervisor says you'll be let go at the end of March you could ask if there's more agency staff likely to come into the dept because you'd like to come back and would register with the agency if it was a possibility.

Advertisement