Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forrest little golf club

Options
  • 12-03-2018 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Opinion on course and club for beginners please ? It's less them 20 mins drive for me and comes in at under 600 for intermediate membership which gives me the 5 day membership at corrstown too. How would this compare to elmgreen / corballis as that's what I had my eye on originally

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Forrest little is a cracking course and thats a fab deal. i love corballis but if i had to choose small wood would be the choice. Lovely clubhouse, great grub and great views:eek: of the undercarriage's of various types of flying craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

EriT wrote: »
    Opinion on course and club for beginners please ? It's less them 20 mins drive for me and comes in at under 600 for intermediate membership which gives me the 5 day membership at corrstown too. How would this compare to elmgreen / corballis as that's what I had my eye on originally

Thanks

Could you go wrong at that price ? Unreal value.

I know both courses are not considered top of the range. But perfectly fine for good club golf.

It depends what stage you are at in the game.

I know both courses can be soft and struggle in the winter - but perfectly good tradtional Irish parklands.

All very playable with good holes all around the courses.

Give the courses a go and see what you think.

Forest little would be a bit short for a big hitter. But perfect for most players.

If your use to a very high standard of golf - they are not going to do it for you - but 80% of punters would have a fantastic experience there. And at that price :eek:

There are some people out there that think it has to be 5 Star 7000 yard USPGA standard all the way - but that is unrealistic for day to day golf.
    Same lads spend 4 hours 45 a weekend on a round of golf.

You'd get around Forest Little in 3 hours to 3.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Thanks lads, great responses . Your both right it does seem like an unbelievable offer which I will certainly be following up on with a round and go from there . I'm far from a big hitter.im just looking for somewhere decent to learn golf close to home at a reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

Firstly it appears a good deal but the North Dublin golf scene is fairly competitive so id be surprised if a similar deal can't be had in most of the other courses in the area. That said I think the tie-up with Corrstown is an excellent idea and is a plus if you will use it.

Im not a big fan of the course, I think the greens and bunkers are not of great quality and there is definitely (despite a lot of work and investment) a drainage problem on the course. It gets very wet in the offseason and doesn't recover as quickly as other courses. I assume you have played it a few times: did you like the layout?

However the most important thing for a beginner is making new friends in the club you choose (im assuming you dont know any members). Hard to judge but are there a lot of people your own age there, perhaps beginners etc the more connections you make the more likely you will stick with golf and have fun playing etc

my 2 cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

However the most important thing for a beginner is making new friends in the club you choose (im assuming you dont know any members). Hard to judge but are there a lot of people your own age there, perhaps beginners etc the more connections you make the more likely you will stick with golf and have fun playing etc

Thanks for the input ,Much appreciated. Havnt played the course yet but I intend to very soon

Is there any current members on boards that could comment on under 30s members numbers and or beginners? Elm green is in my list for the fact that it's also 600 mark for intermediate membership and has plenty of beginner members .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

Of the 3 Forest Little is the only one I have not played. Have heard its a nice little course though.

Elmgreen is not the worst but I suspect Forest Little is a bit more class. Played it once when I was searching for a club to join and was a for sure no.

Also really not a fan of Corballis, its a terrible course for a beginner. It features a very specific links style of golf for most of the front 9 that is very punishing to wayward balls. The back 9 is mostly ugly and forgettable holes.

In the area I might suggest checking out Beaverstown. I find it to be a great track, with lovely views of the estuary and apple orchards and a nice mix of holes. It's parkland which a beginner should prefer. And it also has a nice practice area. (Full disclosure, not a member but I am strongly considering joining there).

Other courses I have tried nearby if you want more info:
    Donabate
    Roganstown/Swords
    Silloge Park
    St. Margaret's
    Castleknock
    Clontarf
    St. Anne's
    Deer Park
    Hollywood Lakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Balcarrick and Beaverstown are better in my opinion than many of above and have similar deal to Forrest Little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Balcarrick and Beaverstown are better in my opinion than many of above and have similar deal to Forrest Little

I would have Beaverstown top of the list of those mentioned but did find the members were of a more senior age.

FWIW OP I know plenty of members in Coorstown and they really enjoy it. It seems to be a very welcoming club and the clubhouse is top notch. Have played Forrest Little a number of times and it's a lovely round of golf.

Advertisement