Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castrate & Ring Tails Together

• 12-03-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

is it ok to ring castrate and ring the tails at the same time, will be using the rubber castration.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Surfn wrote: »
    is it ok to ring castrate and ring the tails at the same time, will be using the rubber castration.

Yes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yes

Yup, do it here all the time. Just make sure you have two little stones in the castration ring - one can slip out easily enough when you're removing the ring holder.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yup, do it here all the time. Just make sure you have two little stones in the castration ring - one can slip out easily enough when you're removing the ring holder.

They thrive like mad tho and you wont get penalised at mart if selling as stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Yes

I made that mistake a few times and I hungover. Auld lad wasn't impressed. We usually do them once their over 24 hours old. How long do ye usually wait ?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I made that mistake a few times and I hungover. Auld lad wasn't impressed. We usually do them once their over 24 hours old. How long do ye usually wait ?

Take tails of ewe lambs as they go out. Take tails andballs of any runts later on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Take tails of ewe lambs as they go out. Take tails andballs of any runts later on

Same here - as they go out. Usually a few days to a week old, depending on weather.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

i take the balls and tails of at the same time usually as soon as they are totally dry and bellies well full.i would b turning out at 24 hours or less.
    make sure they are done a few hours before turn out lambs can lie down with discomfort/pain and get left behind as the ewe goes off grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Is it ok to ring them with the way the weather is
    ? Lambs can look a bit humpy. I’m turning them out at 2days old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Is it ok to ring them with the way the weather is
    ? Lambs can look a bit humpy. I’m turning them out at 2days old

if i am underpressure with the weather i would only put out singles and leave them entire balls and tail easy to spot again.

anything weak or dodgy is better left with as little stress as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

i was castrating a ram lamb yesterday and the testicles seemed to slip up into the body, he does not have the ring on him now hence this happening. will the testicles drop back down or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Surfn wrote: »
    i was castrating a ram lamb yesterday and the testicles seemed to slip up into the body, he does not have the ring on him now hence this happening. will the testicles drop back down or not

Ya they should drop in a few days

Advertisement