Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

SusanC10 wrote:
    I need to drive from North County Louth to Trim, Co. Meath on Sunday. How feasible will this be ? I am not a confident driver and did not leave our property for 6 days during the recent snow.

Is it possible to do this journey on Saturday, and maybe stay overnight, or possibly get someone else to drive? It's impossible to say for sure what ll happen the weather over the weekend, but it does look like driving conditions will be challenging for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

No warnings much from ME this time coz Leo n the Politicians are in the states n elsewhere and the rest of the Emergency people dont want to work so theyv told ME keep it low profile as theres still a small chance High will sink and only blowy showers that wont stick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Worth noting the professionals in UK are on board with heavy snow across the South of Ireland.
    ME are on their own on this one.

Is that Cork as well? Or just the south east?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Is that Cork as well? Or just the south east?
    South = Cork lol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Poor auld ME can't win!!!

Issue warnings and people are critical....don't issue warnings and people are critical!

Expect at least a yellow warning from ME today.

Klara Finkele's forecast at 7.55 on Radio 1 was quite clear. Cold tomorrow rain showers turning to sleet showers turning to snow showers later in the evening. Very cold on Sunday with risk of heavy snow showers. Very cold on Monday with lighter snow showers/flurries.

One criticism I would have of ME, this morning, is that their radio forecast/broadcast does not reflect/match their written/online forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

South = Cork lol

Well BBC and south of Ireland could just have meant the republic and not this neck of the woods! Is that a low coming up from the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tumblr_p0y6y2TD6s1rge4fho1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id still trust ME though.

Theyv been quite good of late.

Maybe its just a Saturday night job.

Anyways im n Dublin at weekend so ill take pix of snow Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

pauldry wrote: »
    Id still trust ME though.

Theyv been quite good of late.

Maybe its just a Saturday night job.

Anyways im n Dublin at weekend so ill take pix of snow Sunday

When I was growing up farmers used to ring up met eireann to get clarification, doest that still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Poor auld ME can't win!!!

Issue warnings and people are critical....don't issue warnings and people are critical!

Expect at least a yellow warning from ME today.

Klara Finkele's forecast at 7.55 on Radio 1 was quite clear. Cold tomorrow rain showers turning to sleet showers turning to snow showers later in the evening. Very cold on Sunday with risk of heavy snow showers. Very cold on Monday with lighter snow showers/flurries.

One criticism I would have of ME, this morning, is that their radio forecast/broadcast does not reflect/match their written/online forecast.

I heard that forecast too. Her headline news if you like was that it would turn very cold but she went out of her way to say pretty categorically that wintry showers and laterally snow would occur but that amounts would be small. She then gave the detail which to me sounded like lighter snow showers on Saturday and heavier snow showers on Sunday. We all know how streamers work so if there are heavy streamers on Sunday its very hard to reconcile that with saying with certainty that amounts will be small (unless, post Emma, anything less than 15cm is small)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I posted this at 08.24....ME online forecast updated at 08.32. :pac:

....but that amounts would be small.

That just related to Saturday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It was only a few weeks ago, but if anyone remembers, the Yellow alert was issued 2 days in advance, an Orange alert the night before heavy streamer activity on 27/28, before a Red Alert for specific counties, well before Storm Emma arrived. It might be a very similar situation this weekend.

Anxiously awaiting this mornings models now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Does anyone know how the trains to Belfast from Dublin were the last time? I've a trip to Belfast Monday for a concert, coming back Tuesday. Also have to get to Connolly station from Templeogue so hopefully some buses running

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

Hi, Long time lurker here, first time posting though, Would the snow be expected to thaw quickly by Monday afternoon or will it be disruptive up till most people are back at work on Tuesday morning ?. Hoping to Travel from Kildare to Cork on Saturday and back up Monday afternoon ( would you think snow will be lying around on local roads ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Slightly off topic but just a little. Where do I find out what the gritting schedule is for the weekend around the greater Dublin area is ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

facebeard wrote: »
    Hi, Long time lurker here, first time posting though, Would the snow be expected to thaw quickly by Monday afternoon or will it be disruptive up till most people are back at work on Tuesday morning ?. Hoping to Travel from Kildare to Cork on Saturday and back up Monday afternoon ( would you think snow will be lying around on local roads ? )

It likely have rapid thaw Monday morning onwards. The cold (so far in models) dissipates quickly, along with higher UV in March meaning snow shouldn't hang around too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 facebeard

Thanks Cherryghost.

That just related to Saturday.

That wasn't what I took from it, I thought she was summarising the weather for the weekend generally at the start but perhaps I have this wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That wasn't what I took from it, I thought she was summarising the weather for the weekend generally at the start but perhaps I have this wrong.

I heard it as that was only for Saturday too.

• Advertisement

I think the met.ie map for Sunday keeps their options open!

nat02_weather.png?0904

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Not a single mention of the S word on the latest ME online update.

Scattered "wintry showers" and "wintry flurries".

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

It was only a few weeks ago, but if anyone remembers, the Yellow alert was issued 2 days in advance, an Orange alert the night before heavy streamer activity on 27/28, before a Red Alert for specific counties, well before Storm Emma arrived. It might be a very similar situation this weekend.

Anxiously awaiting this mornings models now

AFAIR, ME had started issuing yellow warnings on the Sunday before the last snow and had clearly flagged the likelihood of snow accumulations. They haven't mentioned accumulations at all in their forecasts for the upcoming cold spell so I think that we have to assume that they do not foresee significant snowfall. I know that there are other forecasters, such as Harmonie and Accuweather, suggesting more significant snow. However, you have to remember that most of these forecasts are automated with no human input. They're usually based on one model, like ECM or GFS or whatever. Ordinarily, I would say that's that and that we have to be guided by the professionals who have access to more charts than us.

However, the intriguing thing here is that the UK Met Office and BBC forecasts seem to show reasonably significant snow. Admittedly, the UK Met Office warnings for the UK don't show any huge amounts - nothing more than 5cm at present. The UK Met Office seems to be showing similar amounts over here in Ireland and while that's nothing like what we saw a fortnight ago, it's surely enough to trigger a yellow warning at least. I really don't understand it. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose. Perhaps ME think that temperatures might be just a little on the high side on this side of the Irish Sea and enough to prevent accumulations? That wouldn't be an unreasonable bet this late in the year. Then again, if that were the case, you would expect warning for snow on hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

How do you think waterford will fair out? I work in the hospital and wondering now should I make arrangements to be closer to work for Sunday/Monday. Followed this thread the last time and your knowledge and advice was invaluable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Advisory now up on ME website and yes, they mention the s word ;):

Weather Advisory for Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan

Advance warning for cold weather this weekend with low-temperatures, snow-showers, snow-accumulation mainly Saturday night and Sunday.
    Issued:
    Friday 16 March 2018 09:00
    Valid:
    Friday 16 March 2018 09:03 to Sunday 18 March 2018 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yep, was just about to post as Wicklow Co Co just put it out on their text alert line!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

ilovetorun wrote: »
    How do you think waterford will fair out? I work in the hospital and wondering now should I make arrangements to be closer to work for Sunday/Monday. Followed this thread the last time and your knowledge and advice was invaluable to me.
    See my post above. If you believe MetEireann, they'll be no appreciable snow at all so no problem. If they are wrong and snow does arrive, I would expect Waterford to see some. However, it will be nothing like the last spell and should be manageable for you.
    Edit. Have just seen the posts above and MetEireann have updated! I still reckon that Waterford shouldn't see too much disruption.

Advisory now up on ME website and yes, they mention the s word ;):

Weather Advisory for Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan

Advance warning for cold weather this weekend with low-temperatures, snow-showers, snow-accumulation mainly Saturday night and Sunday.
    Issued:
    Friday 16 March 2018 09:00
    Valid:
    Friday 16 March 2018 09:03 to Sunday 18 March 2018 23:59

So we weren't all going mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Advisory now up on ME website

Pffft, we've had an advisory since the 12th ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

See my post above. If you believe MetEireann, they'll be no appreciable snow at all so no problem. If they are wrong and snow does arrive, I would expect Waterford to see some. However, it will be nothing like the last spell and should be manageable for you.
    Edit. Have just seen the posts above and MetEireann have updated! I still reckon that Waterford shouldn't see too much disruption.

Thanks so much

Advertisement