Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thread goes into overdrive since the ME advisory in 3...2...1....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

D3V!L wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but just a little. Where do I find out what the gritting schedule is for the weekend around the greater Dublin area is ?

Best to check the local council websites or NRA website (roads not rifles :rolleyes:)

they would probably be the best sources of that info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Met E browsing boards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GFS has cold pool pushed further north again. This low on Saturday into Sunday looks like its going to not only brush south Munster, but move inland to majority of Munster and Sustained snow in Waterford and Wexford and up the east coast on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Winds at most stations in Denmark are now showing gusts to 80 or 90 km/hr (east) and although it's nearly mid-day there temps are below freezing. The Baltic has dropped this month to about 1-2 C at best, I checked back and the average in other years is closer to 4 C.

The leading edge of this arctic outbreak is starting to make progress south and west across the North Sea. Some very strong gusts to 120 km/hr at the oil platforms between Norway and Scotland (probably at 50m elevation but this gives an idea of what's coming towards the Irish Sea) within 36 hours.

This looks like a record-breaking cold air mass for time of year and it may surprise people how slowly it warms up on Monday if there is snow cover from Sunday. We'll see, just because thicknesses relax a bit does not mean the snow won't reflect insolation back into space. Often the coldest nights occur when the uppers have started to relax (inversion develops). I think we may be on -10 C watch Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Worth noting the professionals in UK are on board with heavy snow across the South of Ireland.
    ME are on their own on this one.

I watched the BBC's forecast last night at stupid o clock and they were giving us a pretty substantial dose of snow over the weekend, especially Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

This looks like a record-breaking cold air mass for time of year and it may surprise people how slowly it warms up on Monday if there is snow cover from Sunday. We'll see, just because thicknesses relax a bit does not mean the snow won't reflect insolation back into space. Often the coldest nights occur when the uppers have started to relax (inversion develops). I think we may be on -10 C watch Monday night.

Looks like your -11 in the weather competition won't be too far off!

So good they put the warning up twice!

They keep on doing that with warnings either their copy-paste is a bit too vigorous or there is some website problem...

445658.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Time for a technical thread methinks.

Klara Finkele this morning did say more widespread snow showers for a time on Sunday before dying out later in the day. I think they could be a bit clearer regarding accumulations in that 5-8 cm is still enough to cause problems in this country (but nowhere else). I can't see more than that at low levels, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Time for a technical thread methinks.

Klara Finkele this morning did say more widespread snow showers for a time on Sunday before dying out later in the day. I think they could be a bit clearer regarding accumulations in that 5-8 cm is still enough to cause problems in this country (but nowhere else). I can't see more than that at low levels, though.

And as you know, between 3 and 8cm at low levels is an orange warning. Over 8cm is a red warning although if around 8cm (give or take a couple of cm) is expected, I don't think a red warning will be issued, especially as it is a weekend with a lot less to impact although there will be a LOT of people on the roads this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think there is likely to be more than 8 cm for locations under persistent shower activity particularly coastal counties in the east. 5 - 15 cm seems somewhat more realistic over Saturday (from afternoon) and Sunday. But we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We should also start a poll on how many times "Will it snow in Cork?" be asked. ;)

HIRLAM and GFS both suggesting snow showers during the parade, ICON isn't too far off that also. Probably melt straight away with the daytime sun/temps, Dublin city centre would be a lot of fun if that comes off...

hirlamuk-1-29-0.png?16-10

We should also start a poll on how many times "Will it snow in Cork?" be asked. ;)

1,000,000 times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

GFS has cold pool pushed further north again. This low on Saturday into Sunday looks like its going to not only brush south Munster, but move inland to majority of Munster and Sustained snow in Waterford and Wexford and up the east coast on Sunday.

Are you saying that this is going to transition from a Lake effect to a Frontal Snow event.......AGAIN?!?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like more fun and games for Kildare :o:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

ME have no warning for Tipp/Waterford. Definitely the east of both counties are in the firing line for as much as some western parts of Leinster. Gerry as usual last night just rambled through the same forecast at 2130 as he did at 1830 and was almost afraid to mention a wintry shower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks like more fun and games for Kildare :o:confused:

Wicklow mountains sheltered South Kidare from Storm Emma.
    Streamer however seem to have a much greater success rate.

Looks good in the SE on Sunday morning alright. (you too as well possibly Cork :)).

51-574UK_rnr8.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

hawkwing wrote: »
    ME have no warning for Tipp/Waterford. Definitely the east of both counties are in the firing line for as much as some western parts of Leinster. Gerry as usual last night just rambled through the same forecast at 2130 as he did at 1830 and was almost afraid to mention a wintry shower.

Yes, absolutely right. East Waterford is effectively part of Leinster in synoptic situations like this one due to proximity to the East coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I really think ME should have a warning for a considerable wind chill tomorrow.
    Anyone who's ever brought children to a St Patrick's Day parade know that it is very easy to get very cold when standing in the same place for a long time.
    Wrap up kids tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

so basically you folks are saying i should buy the last snow shovel left in argos?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Will there be enough snow tomorrow at one pm to affect a flight from Dublin to Portugal please.

I think there is likely to be more than 8 cm for locations under persistent shower activity particularly coastal counties in the east. 5 - 15 cm seems somewhat more realistic over Saturday (from afternoon) and Sunday. But we'll see.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that the 8cm accumulation is likely to be the maximum that Met Eireann will forecast. Completely agree that some areas will see a good bit more than that.

On the Wednesday of the snowy week, I recorded almost 20cm of lying snow by nightfall due to being in a conveyor belt of a snow train all day. Gonzo is not a million miles from me and didn't get very much at all.

Are we getting a technical thread started before this thread goes the way of the last snowy spell general thread?

Will there be enough snow tomorrow at one pm to affect a flight from Dublin to Portugal please.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

highdef wrote: »
    No
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Citizens of Sallins, please leave a little more snow for the rest of us this time! ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Citizens of Sallins, please leave a little more snow for the rest of us this time! ;)

I still have snow several feet deep in a lot of the ditches near home.....I can bring some down to you if you want :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

highdef wrote: »
    I still have snow several feet deep in a lot of the ditches near home.....I can bring some down to you if you want :p

Yeah that’s the snow that I gave to ya! Your keeping it well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Would this snow stick though due to it being a wetter week? (In Dublin specific) for parades and all.

Advertisement