Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

pilly wrote: »
    Eh it was closed 2 weeks ago!

Eh It wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

irishfeen wrote: »
    Very nice - any indication where they are getting their charts from?

Fair question and I'm not entirely sure. They do have this explanation http://manunicast.seaes.manchester.ac.uk/model.html but I'm not sure that that really sheds any light on the subject;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Eh It wasn't...

Technically Dublin Airport was not 'closed' but Aer Lingus and Ryanair cancelled all flights on Friday and then majority on Sat until 10am.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-flights-cancelled-ryanair-14359443

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Id say 50/50 chance of some delays and cancellations, not only due to wintry falls but knock on effects from UK and european hubs. Keep a close eye on the weather updates and your airline

Good point, I never took into account that other places could be affected a lot worse than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

What is the predicted wind direction for the event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why so few posts coming up to a fairly significant snow event ?!
    This snap will be so short that anyone who has a lie in on bank holiday Monday morning will have missed half of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

thebiglad wrote: »
    Technically Dublin Airport was not 'closed' but Aer Lingus and Ryanair cancelled all flights on Friday and then majority on Sat until 10am.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-flights-cancelled-ryanair-14359443

Yes, but there's a big difference between cancelled flights and a closed airport. The airport terminal was free to anyone who wanted to go there. Just because most or all flights are cancelled has no bearing on the status of the open/closed status of the airport. They are two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Eh It wasn't...

Okay it remained open for snow clearing crews and to cater for people in the airport already but did any flights take off or land on that Thursday Evening and Friday of storm Emma? The point is as far as anyone taking a flight was concerned it was closed.

There's a good chance of some flights being impacted this time anyway, whether that's true problems at other airports or Snow at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

highdef wrote: »
    Yes, but there's a big difference between cancelled flights and a closed airport. The airport terminal was free to anyone who wanted to go there. Just because most or all flights are cancelled has no bearing on the status of the open/closed status of the airport. They are two completely different things.

Technically true, but while I appreciate there's a huge difference for DAA (who have to facilitate all those people— no small task) on the part of the passenger, it means basically the same thing: not getting to your destination.

If the flights are off, I would prefer to stay here where I have TV, internet, and a toilet I don't have to fight for. If I can't get where I'm going, the airport being technically open isn't of benefit to me, though of course it's different for those who have nowhere in Dublin to be if their flight isn't going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Really hard to believe there's snow coming tomorrow as it's a gloriously warm day today in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Really hard to believe there's snow coming tomorrow as it's a gloriously warm day today in Wicklow.

That's how they get you.

Beverly Hills, California

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Burnout after the last event I'd say, it's too late in March now to be getting excited about this - I couldn't care less about seeing snow this weekend. Hopefully it ****s off as quick as it comes and we can start getting some decent (and normal) spring weather.

Sure if St Patrick was able to banish all the snakes in Ireland, getting rid of a bit of snow will be no bother to him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dios mio, South East going to get pasted Saturday night into Sunday morning. Upwards of 20cm generally, and possibly more elsewhere by Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Dios mio, South East going to get pasted Saturday night into Sunday morning. Upwards of 20cm generally, and possibly more elsewhere by Sunday morning.

Snowy South East?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This spell is going to slip under the radar and catch out a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

yr giving parts of wicklow heavy snow, last time they were correct even though some here said not to pay any attention to their forecasts, they were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

Hope the sheep farmers know it is coming, a lot of lambing around st patricks day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Netweather has moderate snow for Dublin tomorrow 9am-12pm. With a risk of 54%

After 12pm though risk goes up to 90% for snow showers

Not sure how reliable that would be though

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

thomasj wrote: »

They’re based off of the GFS runs if I remember correctly. So expect small details like these to change over a few runs leading up to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

thomasj wrote: »

Very unreliable in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yes there's not a lot of media coverage about (yet), Patricks Day is numero uno as far as they are concerned. People getting out of the city Saturday night into Sunday will have an adventure. Temps will be very cold running into Sunday so hope the farmers out there are well informed.

Not complaining myself too much though, got my milk, tea, bread and a bunch of films to catch up for the weekend :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I will be watching this event safely away from the snow in the County Clare countryside. Trip back to Meath on Monday morning could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

brookers wrote: »
    yr giving parts of wicklow heavy snow, last time they were correct even though some here said not to pay any attention to their forecasts, they were spot on.

Last time yr.no was way off the mark until about 24 hours before, was suggesting rain and warm temperatures, have a look through the last thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

dacogawa wrote:
    Last time yr.no was way off the mark until about 24 hours before, was suggesting rain and warm temperatures, have a look through the last thread...

What the hell is yr?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pilly wrote: »
    What the hell is yr?

It's a website where you can put in your location for weather forecast. It's yr.no is the address and I think they use ECM for their forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has the cold air arrived? Temp dropping here just below 5c now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lovely day in County Sligo - my external digital Thermometer registered 13.4c at one stage earlier now down to 9.6c @17:15 hrs and sunny with clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It's a website where you can put in your location for weather forecast. It's yr.no is the address and I think they use ECM for their forecasts.

I'm not sure what they used for their forecast in the last event and a few other times this winter, it wasn't the ECM and was so wrong. It use to be good but think I'd get a better forecast from my cat now to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ME forecast at lunchtime wasn't too hopeful
    Cold with a few flurries .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

lovely day in County Sligo - my external digital Thermometer registered 13.4c at one stage earlier now down to 9.6c @17:15 hrs and sunny with clouds

Amazing, horrible rainy day in Donegal and 4c now.

Advertisement