Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

ME forecast at lunchtime wasn't too hopeful Cold with a few flurries .

They're at odds with the advisory on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

This spell is going to slip under the radar and catch out a lot

Some saw evidence of panic buying in the supermarket lol. I even looked at the bread aisle and shoppers were filling up their trolleys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

The Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning in the first BFTE a few centimeters were forecast but we ended up getting 4 inches of snow(Monasterevan), the biggest fall of the whole cold spell. I have a feeling this looks pretty similar. Not tonight but more Saturday/Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

And so it begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A new yellow warning for all of Ireland from Met Eireann.

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The yellow warning is a bit uninspiring for me. If we get disruptive snow then some people are going to put their butts into the bacon slicer...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath and Waterford
    Scattered heavy snow showers will lead to accumulations in places and some drifting.

Issued:Friday 16 March 2018 17:00
    Valid:Sunday 18 March 2018 03:00 to Sunday 18 March 2018 12:0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Status orange

That orange warning is more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The yellow warning seems to me to be appropriate at the moment.

Given the bank holiday weekend even if the upper end of forecasts here which is 5 - 15 cms overnight Saturday and in to Sunday were to come off it wouldn't be as disruptive on Sunday as it might have been.

Southeast and up along the east coast currently appear to be the only areas with the remotest chance of reaching the upper end of forecast snow accumulation.

hirlamuk-1-42-0.png?16-17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Arpege accumulation chart - pretty dramatic, though it does include a shower or two falling early tomorrow morning, that will likely be rain or sleet

arpegeuk-25-70-0.png?16-17

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

pilly wrote: »
    What the hell is yr?

for my neck of the woods is was spot on....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Arpege snow accumulation chart not far off what I'm expecting - Dublin/Wicklow mountains getting a dumping again

arpegeuk-45-66-0.png?16-17

I would say orange is more appropriate. If I were MÉ, for this weekend my criteria would be:
    Yellow: <5cm
    Orange: 5-15cm
    Red: 15cm+
    Hence why I would say orange makes more sense.

Given the weekend in it, I'd say there could be a lot of disruption if these charts pan out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Given model output i believe they have finally got the warnings spot on. Orange well warranted for those area's included. We had over 8 hours of continuous snow in Waterford City on the Thursday of the last spell from streamers. Totals can be big from streamers alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tempresult_hor9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This ECM run is very interesting looking.

An easterly, a big storm, followed by another easterly of sorts?

ECM1-216.GIF?16-0

ECM0-216.GIF?16-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

is it time to crack open each other's skulls and feast on the goo inside yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Took Jean a while to mention snow but she got there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

froog wrote: »

Yes I would froog

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

I think it is Kent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Parking the Car after sons football match in the morning and it won't be moved again till Tuesday morning, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW.LET IT SNOW.
    Really looking forward to sitting and watching the snow fall:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Very windy near coasts of southwest Baltic at present, gusts to 104 km/hr at Arkona (Germany), and many reports over 80 km/hr in Denmark and other locations in northern Germany.

Although it may feel a bit cold now in northern counties and parts of Britain, the cold front has not pushed this far west yet, will be picking up speed overnight and arriving in eastern Ireland about 1100h, so temperatures tomorrow morning are going to be the peak for the day and will be falling off to near freezing rather quickly in very blustery east winds. It usually takes an hour or two for streamers to respond so I think we may be looking at sudden onset of snow streamers in the Dublin area between 2 and 4 p.m (the first hour or two may see more mixed precip types than later, and thunder will be likely all through the event) ... with some 2 to 5 cm accumulations by 6 p.m. and mounting up in bursts of heavier snow overnight. Would not be surprised if there's 10 to 20 cm on the ground by Sunday morning. This will likely be held at similar levels for the daytime as some new snow is added and some melts or evaporates (in any sunny spells the air mass is quite dry and will absorb evaporation quickly, this is how the remnant snow will disappear Tuesday-Wednesday mostly by "sublimation" into the very dry air).

By mid-day Tuesday after a very cold start, some places are going to be reporting temp/dew points like 7/-7 or even wider spreads. This may even be the case in some parts of the west by Monday although I think there's going to be more cloud about in the weakening northeast flow than on Tuesday with the high likely to be over Ireland.

Not convinced that the Welsh shadow will be totally operational but there could be some reduction in potential amounts in some parts of Wicklow as a result, and there will be the ever-present IOM shadow shielding some part of north Leinster. Most likely orientation of the productive streamers might be Dublin west towards Athlone, a parallel band closer to Ulster, and a south coast streamer that may clip Waterford and south Cork. Amounts in these likely to be 10 to 30 cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry I would not be able to participate. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The surest sign snow is in the offing:D

nacho libre, yellowlabrador, Juppie, dexter647, eigrod, ct_roy, Iused2likebusts, kmoneill, Casher, pad199207, Birdnuts, P.lane78, diceyd, The Nutty M, ED E, buzsywuzsy, srocliffe, DOCARCH, irishrover99, SlugIt2Me, Pete67, 123balltv, esposito, How Soon Is Now, Victor Meldrew, kyomi, Snowbiee21, thinkingahead, lintdrummer, antodeco, Gavlor, EAD, robclay26, glossy, LoadofCROC, Sammy2012, Joekers, BigBrownBear, renov8, GVHOT, Musicman2000, munsterlegend, Daffodil.d, rafared, gimpotronitus, BurnsCarpenter, actaphobia, Kutebride, Gaoth Laidir, nerrad1983, Donegal Storm, Sparko, Dickie10, dsagra, Heno1167, Barnaboy, sjb25, Heat1981, kittyn, HankSchrader, backwind, sasasnow, rodge123, nhg, Joe Kname, darraghwex, Artane2002, Jimjay, CardinalJ, Tickityboo, foxyladyxx, SpaceRocket, sparrowcar, dm1979, trishasaffron, flanzer, scooby77, D9Male, brookers, smodgley, Kermit.de.frog, Deblowin, cyclops999, lord lucan, Paully D, Basil3, ZX7R, tiegan, Back in Black, SleetAndSnow, netbeatz, jvan, mickger844posts, whippet, Surinam, Sirted, yellowsoul, natc, montac, wakka12, Lucreto, GreyEagle, Rattlehead_ie, aurora 527, tupenny, gabeeg, JCX BXC, SeaBreezes, Miz., the kelt, M.T. Cranium, Accountsplus, REXER, highdef, 2013Lara, wowy, guestus, Pwindedd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm ok still have two sliced pans in the freezer and a couple of cartons of milk.

If it happens it happens, feel sorry for the parade people though. They cannot for the most part wear all over thermals, unlike the onlookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

RobertKK wrote: »

Well this was in north Kildare, near the Meath border at 18:30 this evening, at about 120m so not terribly high. I used the dog for some sort of scale. The entire length of road is like this on both sides for a distance of about 1km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still a few patches of snow outside the house here at only 40m asl in North Kildare, amazed its lasted so long considering theres barely even been a frost in the past couple of weeks

Advertisement