Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Is there likely to be disruption along main Dublin bus routes on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Two points,
    1. some old wives tale comes to mind about it taking a second snowfall to clear a heavy March snowfall.
    2. The bread thing stopped funny around the 2nd of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Time for a technical thread methinks.

Klara Finkele this morning did say more widespread snow showers for a time on Sunday before dying out later in the day. I think they could be a bit clearer regarding accumulations in that 5-8 cm is still enough to cause problems in this country (but nowhere else). I can't see more than that at low levels, though.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057852657

Better late than never.

:)

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Is there likely to be disruption along main Dublin bus routes on Sunday?

Possible more particularly early in the day. I'd check in with the website or social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm ok still have two sliced pans in the freezer and a couple of cartons of milk.

If it happens it happens, feel sorry for the parade people though. They cannot for the most part wear all over thermals, unlike the onlookers.

I did a decent shop this morning but it looks like I won't be able to drive r up to ashbourne on Sunday. Dinner cancelled yet again.... damn snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sure if St Patrick was able to banish all the snakes in Ireland, getting rid of a bit of snow will be no bother to him.

Good point and in the Breastplate song there is no mention of ice and snow.. "The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks" but no snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Still a few patches of snow outside the house here at only 40m asl in North Kildare, amazed its lasted so long considering theres barely even been a frost in the past couple of weeks

?

There's been lots of below and slightly above zero early mornings. Laois and West Kildare anyhow.

Drifting snow is best snow

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

What kind of snow levels does it take to ground flights normally? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

What kind of snow levels does it take to ground flights normally? Anyone know?

It doesn't take much to cause disruption. I remember in January 7mm of snow closed the runway in Dublin Airport! I suppose they wouldn't have been prepared back then as much as they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In Dublin or any other Irish airport, a few cm is enough to cause very serious delays and cancellations. They have the equipment but either can't cope or simply can't train for it due to the irregularity of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

AFAIK airports only close when the snow falls faster than the airport can clear it.

so for dublin airport that would be any reasonably heavy falls -as dublin is not set up for big snow falls.

sdanseo wrote: »
    In Dublin or any other Irish airport, a few cm is enough to cause very serious delays and cancellations. They have the equipment but either can't cope or simply can't train for it due to the irregularity of snow.

At 8mm braking action becomes poor and runway HAS to be swept and de-iced. The issue is if they do it and it is snowing heavily then there is the possibility that the snow accumulates again and needs to be swept, rinse and repeat. It’s nothing to do with training per se. Put it this way get a shovel in the middle of a heavy snowfall and try clearing your driveway, by the time you finish........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

daheff wrote: »
    AFAIK airports only close when the snow falls faster than the airport can clear it.

so for dublin airport that would be any reasonably heavy falls -as dublin is not set up for big snow falls.

How do you propose clearing the runway while it's in operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://youtu.be/2oM3jGKGU6A

arpegeuk-11-24-0.png?16-17

It looks breezy enough on the east coast of England, not quite as breezy in Ireland. Still there will be a serious wind chill late Saturday night. Maybe some drifing too, late Saturday night into Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Orange weather warning now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

JCX BXC wrote: »

I dont...not my job. :D

But what I've seen done is they delay flights while the ploughs/trucks etc clear & de-ice the runway

ME forecast still didnt seem too positive for (heavy) snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Orange weather warning now :)

Since 5pm

It's called 16/34. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Surprised it's an Orange warning after watching that forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've never seen that used in snowy weather.
    But what I've seen done is they delay flights while the ploughs/trucks etc clear & de-ice the runway

So....close the runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The strong gusty easterly winds might have something to say about that :P

I've never seen that used in snowy weather.

So....close the runway?

Closing the runway for an extended period or a brief sweep / inspection are two totally different things.

If you run a series of trucks down the runway at 10km/h it should take no more than 15mins at absolute maximum to sweep and treat.

In Dublin even with relatively little continuous snowfall we seem to write the airport off for several hours at a time. Not criticising the DAA at all here - I've no doubt they try their damndest. But for some reason we can't limit the disruption like many other airports can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

You don't have to close it, just delay flights.
    From what I've seen, what he said is correct. A runway only closes if the snow is falling faster than they can clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Not sure what to make of weird bird movements but I saw around 100 black back gulls in a field outside urlingford today. Are they deserting the snowy coasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

How far across the country is the snow fall likley to extend to?

The Orange ME Warning currently covers along the east coast and along the coast to Waterford.

I thought the coverage was potentially inland as far as east Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

Meant to be cycling Waterford Greenway tomorrow and climbing Carlingford Sunday. What are the chances of those two places being hit. Plan on wrapping up well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

smurph6 wrote: »
    Meant to be cycling Waterford Greenway tomorrow and climbing Carlingford Sunday. What are the chances of those two places being hit. Plan on wrapping up well

You cycling from Waterford to Carlingford and then climbing a mountain? - Jeez your game!
    I doubt you'd even notice the weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its gone noticeably colder in the last hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I would say orange is more appropriate. If I were MÉ, for this weekend my criteria would be:
    Yellow: <5cm
    Orange: 5-15cm
    Red: 15cm+
    Hence why I would say orange makes more sense.

ME Orange guidelines

3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 3 cm or greater below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation stable.

Advertisement