Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Add to that Greenland doesn't have to worry about legal action against certain grocery stores over naming rights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pwindedd wrote: »
    What are the timelines for this - parade wise i mean ?

Never mind us locals, but there's going to be a lot of tourists here for the festivities who may not be prepared, attire wise, for the cold and snow - it would be a shame if the parade is hampered by this, but not much we can do about it.

I imagine parade participants have been preparing for weeks - hope it's not too wet and cold for them, especially the wee ones who are excited to be a part of it, plus all those in town and at the pub for the eggy-ball !

It may not be a commuters problem but there is still gonna be major disruption for many if it does materialise as forecast.

But the Irish are very good at rallying round and hospitality is what we do best. Will be grand I'm sure...:D

Probably the best short range guidance available to us mere mortals is the HIRLAM which shows showers arriving as snow from around 10:00.

Harmonie is more relied on by MÉ but although one or two here have access in a professional capacity, it's not available for Ireland publically although you can access it for other countries. Probably due to some stupid rights issue.

You can flick through the entire sequence to 48hrs here: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?map=430

hirlamuk-1-15-0.png?16-22

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Rougies wrote: »
    How about a surprise pop-up St. Patrick's weekend snowfall depth competition M.T.?

Battle us leprechauns for the white gold at the end of the streamers!

Something simple. We're already drunk.

EDIT: well holy god, I honestly didn't see the snap contest thread. Great minds think alike? But mine is a bit slower? I'll take it.

Ha, supply and demand explained. I am cold sober so far, not that you would guess it from my contest entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperatures have been dropping in the UK through the afternoon and rain is turning to snow there as the cold air digs in.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

sdanseo wrote: »
    Probably the best short range guidance available to us mere mortals is the HIRLAM which shows showers arriving as snow from around 10:00.

Harmonie is more relied on by MÉ but although one or two here have access in a professional capacity, it's not available for Ireland publically although you can access it for other countries. Probably due to some stupid rights issue.

You can flick through the entire sequence to 48hrs here: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?map=430

Thanks for that - it doesn't look great for them does it. Part of me wants to go in, for solidarity more than anything. In my 12 years here I've never been to it (I know, shame on me :o) but I've a horrible feeling getting home after will be horrendous !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for that - it doesn't look great for them does it. Part of me wants to go in, for solidarity more than anything. In my 12 years here I've never been to it (I know, shame on me :o) but I've a horrible feeling getting home after will be horrendous !

Went to it a few years ago with my son after a gap of 35 years. Never again. Bloody tourists pushing young kids out of the way to see their fellow nationals.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Went to it a few years ago with my son after a gap of 35 years. Never again. Bloody tourists pushing young kids out of the way to see their fellow nationals.

That's Cork and Kerry people for ya. They get excited when they go to the biggest smoke..

Went to it a few years ago with my son after a gap of 35 years. Never again. Bloody tourists pushing young kids out of the way to see their fellow nationals.:)

Funny enough my desk neighbour in work said that today, kids being pushed away from the front by grown adults when they could just look over them !

Another tip I got was that a certain all-you-can-eat oriental buffet upstairs on the quays has a great view of the parade, is warm and dry and mostly empty till the parade ends.

sorry off topic.

(omg...omg..omg..i am really quite excited about this weekend - thought i'd missed out this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Crucial to know- they are guidelines - head forecaster makes final call. There'll be no Orange issued for 5cm in Baltinglass.

S/he makes the call but cannot alter guidelines.
    Orange in force for Wicklow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like an update to the weather warning system on http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

it is now listed on a county by county basis, rather than just the provinces of Ireland.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    Ctrl+F cannot find the word guideline on this page (for the record, I agree with you that they should be treated as a guide)

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

Sorry my mistake, no idea where I got guidelines from, should be criteria,

Rougies wrote: »
    There is a lot of language suggesting they are guidelines on that page, but this line "Weather Alerts and Warnings will be issued whenever weather conditions meeting the detailed thresholds defined below are anticipated within a 48-hr period." does suggest a hard line threshold based warning system and needs should be edited if they are moving towards a more impact based warning system.

Simply changing the word "issued" to "considered" or something similar would make that sentence a lot more flexible.

As said in another post, no idea where I got guidelines from.

I doubt if they will change the criteria while they are working on an impact based system,

As for changing to "considered", that is unlikely, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Just when you thought it was safe to discard the Long Johns... Along comes the Beast from the East part two. Starring Kermit De Frog and MT Cranium. A chiller thriller with Russian roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This ones the Monster From Murmansk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like an update to the weather warning system on http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

it is now listed on a county by county basis, rather than just the provinces of Ireland.

It gives the same warning for every county, ie. It's still a national warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Calibos wrote: »
    This ones the Monster From Murmansk :D
    Monster from Monster (Netherlands)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sicknotexi wrote: »
    It gives the same warning for every county, ie. It's still a national warning.

Yes, however before the categories on Meteoalarm were only given in proviences, for example you could have Clare on a red warning and Waterford on a yellow warning, yet the whole provience of Munster would be listed as red.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

I see what you did there:D

Sharp as a pin Kermit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

(... "I see what you did there" ... two posts back)

He was bread to be a weather forum poster.

I hope it snows up to the shinpads or some of us will be toast.

etc etc

MT & Kermit, It’s bread and butter to you lads, the rest of us have to join the Tesco bread aisles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showers turning to sleet and snow across the very north-eastern edge of Northern Ireland, rain turning to snow across much of mainland UK, perhaps some wintry showers in Leinster by morning.

• Advertisement

And to think just 7 and a bit years ago we were all saying 2010 was a "once in 50 years" event. Gotta love weather don't ya;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Down from a high of 13 c at 3pm to 4c now The snow is only a few hours away:D
    A lot of people will have dismissed it as too mild for snow given todays temperatures. They are in for a shock tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What are the timelines for this - parade wise i mean ?

Never mind us locals, but there's going to be a lot of tourists here for the festivities who may not be prepared, attire wise, for the cold and snow - it would be a shame if the parade is hampered by this, but not much we can do about it.

I imagine parade participants have been preparing for weeks - hope it's not too wet and cold for them, especially the wee ones who are excited to be a part of it, plus all those in town and at the pub for the eggy-ball !

It may not be a commuters problem but there is still gonna be major disruption for many if it does materialise as forecast.

But the Irish are very good at rallying round and hospitality is what we do best. Will be grand I'm sure...:D

My guess knowing many tourists, is that they will revel in SNOW IN IRELAND as being unusual, different etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

West Mayo; calm and still and deeply silent. But then we will not get any fun AGAIN! Ah a breath of wind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It’s hard to overstate how severe this would be were it January given the source of the cold. I was skeptical but can now see the potential even with it being some weeks from the real core of winter, and jaysus who could forget Paddy’s Day 1999, 17C and strong warm sun all day. Everyone sunburned. This feels more odd and unnatural though I believe one of the great blizzards in Irish history occurred on April Fools Day.

Hopefully it will be a snap in every sense of the word. Bank holiday weekend or no, extreme cold this time of year is going to impact on crops, livestock, trees and wildlife, and the farmers too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I missed the wind chill of two weeks ago. My old friend from Russia is well and truly back now. Too bad he can only stay two days this time:( Perhaps we can entice to come back sooner than we think- say the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It’s hard to overstate how severe this would be were it January given the source of the cold. I was skeptical but can now see the potential even with it being some weeks from the real core of winter, and jaysus who could forget Paddy’s Day 1999, 17C and strong warm sun all day. Everyone sunburned. This feels more odd and unnatural though I believe one of the great blizzards in Irish history occurred on April Fools Day.

Hopefully it will be a snap in every sense of the word. Bank holiday weekend or no, extreme cold this time of year is going to impact on crops, livestock, trees and wildlife, and the farmers too of course.

You are correct, in 1917 the first two days of April were very severe in both Ireland and Britain. There have only been a handful of days in late March or April that averaged below zero in the British "CET" record and two of those were in 1917. Aside from a freak one-day cold spell that hit on 19th April of 1772 (the first year of daily records), the latest sub-zero daily means were on the 3rd of 1799 and then 2nd of 1917. Since then, the latest sub-zero day was 20 March of 1985, although 23 March 2013 was 0.0 exactly. There has not been an April day below 1.0 since 1911.

A deep low had formed southwest of Ireland and from what I've read about it, heavy snowfalls and large drifts formed over parts of Munster. Not sure if it had much impact in Leinster or not, perhaps somebody could tell us more.

Spring snowfall can stick on the ground for days if it's deep enough to reflect the sun, I had one week of continuous snow cover back in Ontario in April 1975 despite that week being clear once the snowstorm ended but there was so much snow that it kept the temperatures down by a good ten degrees from where they might have been over bare soil. And that was at 45 deg latitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

You are correct, in 1917 the first two days of April were very severe in both Ireland and Britain. There have only been a handful of days in late March or April that averaged below zero in the British "CET" record and two of those were in 1917. Aside from a freak one-day cold spell that hit on 19th April of 1772 (the first year of daily records), the latest sub-zero daily means were on the 3rd of 1799 and then 2nd of 1917. Since then, the latest sub-zero day was 20 March of 1985, although 23 March 2013 was 0.0 exactly. There has not been an April day below 1.0 since 1911.

A deep low had formed southwest of Ireland and from what I've read about it, heavy snowfalls and large drifts formed over parts of Munster. Not sure if it had much impact in Leinster or not, perhaps somebody could tell us more.

Spring snowfall can stick on the ground for days if it's deep enough to reflect the sun, I had one week of continuous snow cover back in Ontario in April 1975 despite that week being clear once the snowstorm ended but there was so much snow that it kept the temperatures down by a good ten degrees from where they might have been over bare soil. And that was at 45 deg latitude.

Thanks for the great reply. Can’t rememcer where I read it but it was just a sort of footnote so this is great info

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the forecasts there is a mention of fresh to strong gusty windy conditions today and tmrw

What kind of wind strenght can we expect - does any one know?

Snow +strong wind+snow=a really interesting Paddys Day .... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I can only imagine the **** that the people of tallaght and other estates will have to put up with if it snows on what is the biggest piss up day of the day of the year anyway.

And with the been probably the second busiest day of the year for the Garda, I can see it been a busy night for them.

Advertisement