Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dewpoint is -5c at Dublin Airport at 13:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Out on a walk and a very light snowshower here in Dublin 15 now. The main thing is that wind would rip right through you brrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gaoth Laidir's point about ground temperatures a few days ago has been an issue thus far. It's bitterly cold, but the moderate to heavy snow, which we had two hours of, has only stuck on grass so far. Hopefully that should change overnight, though. We just need the cloud from this front to bugger off, so the streamers can get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Gaoth Laidir's point about ground temperatures a few days ago has been an issue thus far. It's bitterly cold, but the moderate to heavy snow, which we had two hours of, has only stuck on grass so far. Hopefully that should change overnight, though. We just need the cloud from this front to bugger off, so the streamers can get going.

A few nice graupel showers to lay the groundwork may be more important than ever so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Down to 2.4c with a windchill between -3c and -4c and dew point of -1.5c, wind gusting to 65kmh at my station in Tullow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So no chance of accumulation until night time?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

wakka12 wrote: »

Need snow first! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

wakka12 wrote: »

Yeah snow needed first aha, I wouldn't judge it until we see the Irish Sea come alive, if there's heavy powdery graupel in the mix it will stick regardless.

The windchill is almost surreal- it's hard to believe it's the 17th of March, if your hands are exposed for even a few seconds you know about it. It's just phenomenal this is happening again. We are very lucky to be witnessing these last few weeks of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The snowflakes should cool down the ground. I remember in January we had a Westerly that brought snow here while the ground temperature was quite high. The shower was persistent and made the ground wet. Eventually the snow cooled down the ground sufficiently for snow to stick. This morning reminds me of the Monday of the easterly - persistent snow grains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Cloud tops starting to clear we should see the irish sea come to life shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Precipitation chart, south east coast in the firing line

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

sryanbruen wrote: »

He would put a dog out in it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He would put a dog out in it. :eek:

Ah Socks and Snoop are well used to it, good hardy Carlow dogs ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Irish Sea just starting to kick off now.

Scotland just scraped through against Italy. I feel sorry for the Italians. O wait , wrong forum;)

It has started snowing very lightly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I don’t know what I’m more nervous/ excited about ....... What the Irish Sea will deliver or winning the Grand Slam :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I really hope we don't get snowed in in Cobh again.

kittyn wrote: »
    I don’t know what I’m more nervous/ excited about ....... What the Irish Sea will deliver or winning the Grand Slam :eek:

Snow- check
    Beer - check

Ireland winning a grand slam! If Carlsberg did perfect weekends this would be it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Peak conditions for alcohol related illness and snow look to be between 4 and 9 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Snow- check
    Beer - check

Ireland winning a grand slam! If Carlsberg did perfect weekends this would be it!

How right you are Nacho 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Peak conditions for alcohol related illness and snow look to be between 4 and 9 am.
    I'm thinking a late afternoon nap after the rugby - come on Engerland...or Ireland. (I've two horses in this race, being a Brit in Dub) then crack open my duty free gin and plough on though till dawn. Have 2 days to recover don't we ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Light snow here in north Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ashbourne. Few bits of graupel a while ago (around 14:15) when the parade was just finishing, the main weather of note at the moment is the direction and strength of the wind, it has teeth and claws to it already, and the real cold has yet to arrive! We didn't do very well from the streamers last time, it will be interesting to see how it works out this time, there's more East in it at the moment, so the Isle of Man is less likely to interfere.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Light snow here on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. Absolutely freezing outside. I’ve just let the outside cat in because she looked miserable out in it. Feeling optimistic of a blanket of snow in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

very light dandruffy stuff falling now in s.e. co. down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

3.6c in Waterford. Dp-2.2. Few sleety bits at the parade, nothing heavy. Breeze obviously made it feel much colder than what the mercury was saying . Real feel around zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

South Kilkenny, wedged between Waterford City and New Ross in Wexford, very very cold here for the past 2-3 hours.

We went to the shops this morning with the intention of being fully prepared for snow.
    During Storm Emma we weren't fully prepared and ran out of dog food on the Friday as we had thought "we'll be grand". I had been following the weather alerts and this thread but didn't fully expect the snow that actually fell here.
    So this time around, although it's not expected to be as bad, we made a plan, a list of what we would need and are FULLY prepared.

I know from talking to people in work, after Storm Emma and all of that, everyone has really learned to pay attention to the alerts and warnings and instructions being given to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Kind of looks like a streamer line trying to form and head WSW to the south of the tip of the IOM. Another a bit further south.

Advertisement