Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

degsie wrote: »
    You obviously have never experienced a total whiteout.

Was just about to post something similar. If it was a whiteout, you wouldn't be able to see the houses across the road. One of the attached photos shows the view out my office with near whiteout conditions. I can still see several tens of metres and whilst it is extremely heavy snow falling, it's still not a whiteout.

The other is a similar set-up just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Certainly no whiteout at Grange but consistent snow showers varying in levels of intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

No DART services south of Lansdowne road ATM due to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Oops69 wrote: »
    the terms 'white-out ' and 'blizzard - like ' should be automatically filtered out from this thread
    you just said them :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Very heavy snow in the Curragh, Kildare. No sign of it stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 updraft

Moderate/heavy snow in Newbridge for the past hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Light but constant snow in D15 all morning. Roughly 5cm down, more where it drifts. Certainly neither a whiteout or blizzard. Pain in the hole is all it is. Effed up plans for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

The difference in the snowfall totals leaving Dublin and coming into Kildare is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Was just out and about in CityWest / Saggart / Rathcoole does not seem like any gritting done anywhere. N7 in that area not great and slip roads quite bad

I didn't see anything posted on the SDCC page about gritting the roads so I'm assuming they didn't. Probably a combination of the resources spent two weeks ago and it being Paddy's weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Sign up for text alerts on the WCC website (select all sub districts that apply to your usual travel route).
    I signed up a while back and it works perfectly, but tried to sign the missus up just now and whatever format I try to enter the phone number in it gives me an error.

They mirror all the texts on their twitter feed though.

Another good source with photos etc. is the Wicklow Alerts FB page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Snow flakes blowing in the wind in Galway are we likely to get some snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Alun wrote:
    I signed up a while back and it works perfectly, but tried to sign the missus up just now and whatever format I try to enter the phone number in it gives me an error.

Drop the zero at the start

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Off to the pub!

In Kill in Kildare big time drifting taking place in fields. Is this round two? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy 'light' snow in cork city now. Not big flakes small ones but a lot of them. Not sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Off to the pub!
    Good idea. It's blizzard like conditions outside. A real whiteout. A few Guinness will certainly help pass this event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

There's glass roof on a high building around 150-200m from my home that I use as reference for snow intensity. At the heaviest this morning it almost couldn't be seen. Couldn't see it during Emma at times due to the foggy nature of the tiny snow grains. Has been generally a good few hundred metres of visibility today in D9 where I am despite the generally moderate snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

highdef wrote: »
    Was just about to post something similar. If it was a whiteout, you wouldn't be able to see the houses across the road. One of the attached photos shows the view out my office with near whiteout conditions. I can still see several tens of metres and whilst it is extremely heavy snow falling, it's still not a whiteout.
    The other is a similar set-up just up the road.

And that's exactly what I was describing ... strong wind was blowing snow / sleet very quickly and visability down to a few yards ...

Is that ok with yourself?

The exact same stuff was spouted the last-time we had snow and if I remember correctly the time before that. Its like it's some type of recording or something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Travelled from D15 to Navan. Certainly worse in Dublin. The roads around Navan are in good shape. The M3 is tricky and down to one lane in parts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Snowing out in Lucan too with some signs of thaw. Flying out in Dublin Airport tomorrow morning so here's hoping our flight manages to go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Some light flurries of snow in my area of west Cork today but nothing much and not staying on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Shovelling snow to get to the shed. (The novelty hasn't worn off yet.)

4 inches have fallen since last night in Naas.

I was going to dig out the cars but decided to stay put today. That is a job for tomorrow.

Would it be a futile effort to put down rock salt now to prevent ice and further snow build up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Midday snow depths (cm). Melting is balancing accumulation now. Casement and Dublin Airport still at 5 and 3 cm, respectively. Little Rissington (210 m) in England is doing well at 34 cm.

445878.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Major thaw in North Kildare and south Meath, with temperatures close to 1c now. Just drove from my house in a rural village to Enfield and all snow has melted on the roads, even the local roads at home which don't get much traffic.

Easily 4-5 inches in Naas and pelting down. Nice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pad199207 wrote: »
    The difference in the snowfall totals leaving Dublin and coming into Kildare is impressive.

Noticeable on radar this time round last night and also the streamer portion of the last spell how the showers merge as they slow down heading into Kildare and further west and even intensifying. It was noticeable moreso last time where snow was very on/off here 10km from the coast but further inland and heading towards N.Kildare heavy snow reports were much more constant. I believe parts in N.Kildare were at 30cm before Emma even hit whereas I was waddling around 10-15cm by then - despite being under pretty much the same streamers as I'm ENE of N.Kildare.

For relative low ground for the most part Kildare really is the snow capital of Ireland, if not for frequency (somewhere in the NW probably gets that one) but for how much falls compared to many other areas when it does snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Everywhere around East coast of Meath they have huge amounts of snow and it might aswell be raining cause the snow is just melting......

F**k you Isle of Man.....

Nah, louth is the same. Not sure about collon though as they usually get hit bad enough but it's light and not sticking at all on our coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

degsie wrote: »
    You obviously have never experienced a total whiteout.

Yeah, was just thinking the same. It's like people really want it to be a blizzard sot they just say it's a blizzard when in reality it's nothing like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Visibilities reported at Dublin and Casement this morning

TIME....DUB......CASEMENT
    1200...1800 m...1500 m
    1100...1200 m...1200 m
    1000...1400 m...1500 m
    0900...1400 m...1000 m
    0800...2000 m...3000 m
    0700...3200 m...10,000 m

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

moderate snow falling for past hour in Cratloe, county Clare but melts as it falls just making everything very wet.

Advertisement