Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's funny, it's snowing quite heavily and continuously in Dublin 15 yet when my partner and I drove to our local cafe an hour ago, the snow free space under our car when we left was still snow free when we came back just now so the latest round of snow seems to be melting on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Heavy Grain Snow on Bray Seafront atm but the thaw is outpacing the falling Snow as Gaoth Laidir indicated earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Santry snow like you Kermit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Reading all the posts here one thing sticks out,the obvious lack of gritters on our roads again.Its no wonder we have thousands of tons of grit stockpiled when it is not being used.Almost total failure by our authorities once again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Definitely more snow compared to 2 and a half weeks ago. I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Leaksireland

Got caught outdoors in a whiteout once in avoriaz in the alps.
    Scary stuff, very disorienting.
    It was only when I was 50 meters from a 15 story apartment block that it came into view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Reading all the posts here one thing sticks out,the obvious lack of gritters on our roads again.Its no wonder we have thousands of tons of grit stockpiled when it is not being used.Almost total failure by our authorities once again.

From twitter it looks like Fingal, DLR & Dub City were all out gritting last night and this morning

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Seems to be thawing more than the snow is falling in Ballyfermot. Anywhere my foot prints were and now much clearer. Anywhere with thick snow seems to be staying. Not sure which is going to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

In semi-rural kildare here and we have had 4 passes of gritters in the past hour, the first 2 plowed the road too. Its a truly shocking job theyre doing alright :pac:

Have somewhere between 5 & 10cm on the ground here, with drifts up to 40cm around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ploughs are our in Naas. There’s drifts on my driveway.

Well over a foot beside the garden wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It was only when I was 50 meters from a 15 story apartment block that it came into view.

Apparently it's like that in Rathfarnham and Limerick today!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

fullstop wrote: »
    Apparently it's like that in Rathfarnham and Limerick today!

Limerick????

Doubt that......heavy snow in Dublin ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

The Mig wrote: »
    Definitely more snow compared to 2 and a half weeks ago. I love it!

no comparison to two weeks ago.....huge snow then....a lot today in west Dublin....10/15 cm.in.places compared to 50/60 two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Hard to know what will happen in Cork
    The wind being northeast rather than southeast means we are missing out quite a bit. Will the stuff to our Northeast slide down over us or fizzle out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Group of us got caught in one on a run in France. Ridiculous stuff. Had to stop and hang tight. Lasted about 30 mins thankfully but visibility was maybe 2-3m at best. Really dangerous and nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Been snowing constantly since I got up this morning, but starting to come down heavily now in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any exposed surface where snow has been cleared is staying clear. The road outside my place was covered this morning but a wet mess now with only minimal traffic on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

despite a temperature of -1 at home, there is a thaw going on. If this was in January or February snow totals would be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Looks like decent coverage in Naas. The road outside wouldn’t have been ploughed and looks clear, wouldn’t have massive traffic on it. Definitely not going to have the travel impact of the previous event.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

no comparison to two weeks ago.....huge snow then....a lot today in west Dublin....10/15 cm.in.places compared to 50/60 two weeks ago

Depends where you are though. Here in Shankill, we got more over the past 12 hours than during Emma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Depends where you are though. Here in Shankill, we got more over the past 12 hours than during Emma

But it won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Any exposed surface where snow has been cleared is staying clear. The road outside my place was covered this morning but a wet mess now with only minimal traffic on it.

That time of the year I am afraid, higher solar melting happens.
    Some places will keep cloud cover with snow fall for most of the day if it clears tonight that will be will be when the fun starts everything will freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Blizzard like conditions at times in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hard to know what will happen in Cork
    The wind being northeast rather than southeast means we are missing out quite a bit. Will the stuff to our Northeast slide down over us or fizzle out??

I think fizzle out. It has all morning anyway on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

is there going to be another snow event towards end of March?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Finally stopped here in laois...has only stopped last five minutes and the sun appeared the thaw was Instant. Still plenty of snow about but roads starting to clear and I doubt any new snow will stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Picking up again in Delgany after lull. Very fine schnizzle but heavy.....are more showers beginning to bubble up off Anglesey?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Hi everyone, any reports please of snow conditions Wexford Rosslare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Still sub-zero in south Laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Right I'm heading to the park with pooch. Will take some pics. Still snowing here in D11.

Advertisement