Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Put on a hat, gloves and a winter coat and you'll be fine. As Chopper would say: harden the
    up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

We had all those things on yesterday + still freezing. Wind chill was unreal. When the ground is covered in snow + ice + you have a baby in a buggy you can't get out. It's not a matter of harden up. Get real. We are well used to getting out in winter weather but this is arctic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OldRio

Put on a hat, gloves and a winter coat and you'll be fine. As Chopper would say: harden the
    up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

I just wish you would have said that to the parents looking after the freezing children at our local parade yesterday. That would have been fun to watch. Much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ok. Fair enough if you have young children, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Have a brother waiting to depart from Bristol (plane getting de-iced)..just wondering what are the chances of that snow shower off the Wexford/Wicklow coast impacting Dub airport? The TAF shows just light snow showers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This evening's thaw is caused by heat in the ground melting the snow from beneath. Soil temps are around 4c whilst air temps hit a dizzy high of just 0.6c on my AWS in south Laois. Roads and paths are mostly clear whilst grass has a solid cover. Even the branches of trees have snow on them making for lovely scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Darwin wrote: »
    Have a brother waiting to depart from Bristol (plane getting de-iced)..just wondering what are the chances of that snow shower off the Wexford/Wicklow coast impacting Dub airport? The TAF shows just light snow showers

Well the wind is easterly, and the showers well south of Dublin......so....none.

A0CEE641-225B-4E82-B3C6-7F6542DCF3EF.png.4de78c21f61a7131c9f6ace8a32804b9.png

There could be more to come for the south east of Ireland this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

A0CEE641-225B-4E82-B3C6-7F6542DCF3EF.png.4de78c21f61a7131c9f6ace8a32804b9.png

There could be more to come for the south east of Ireland this evening.[/quote

Yep the likes of Waterford could be battered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

While the snow has stopped here, when out for a breath of air and a walk through the lying snow there about 5pm it was just SOOOO Cold! Much colder than two weeks ago I thought. There is a wind out there that would skin you!

And I had three layers, a scarf, gloves an snowboots. Was glad to get back inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh I couldn't believe the cold today, I did a walking tour in town today and god I couldn't believe the cold, I went on long walks during the last spell to look at the snow in different areas and I felt positively underdressed today and I wore the same big coat I was wearing 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement

The uk met office were caught out this afternoon due to the snow. So even the ukmo with its vastly greater resoucres than met eireann does not get it right all the time either.

Danno wrote: »
    This evening's thaw is caused by heat in the ground melting the snow from beneath. Soil temps are around 4c whilst air temps hit a dizzy high of just 0.6c on my AWS in south Laois. Roads and paths are mostly clear whilst grass has a solid cover. Even the branches of trees have snow on them making for lovely scenes.

Thanks for that Danno. We got so much snow today but I was wondering why it melted more than 2 weeks ago. That makes sense that it was due to higher ground temperatures. Will spring ever come!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Ok. Fair enough if you have young children, that's a different story.
    inuit children and siberian children still have fun somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Anyone giving out about the cold these guys kept playing last night. Dad used to play rugby in uk and said same thing they will play in all weather conditions
    https://twitter.com/yorksblankets/status/975155113642942464

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Oops69 wrote: »

Well they are more prepared for it. I've no time for Adults complaining about cold weather, though. I don't particularly like stifling heat myself, but i just get on with it. Complaining is not going to stop whatever the weather is intent on doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Depths at 7 pm still 4 cm at Casement and 3 cm at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Seen quite a few documentaries on the Inuit. Didn't look like the kids were having a lot of fun to be honest. Scraping out a life would be more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Everyone needs a good wooly hat, good gloves, thick socks and a warm scarf. You feel invincible with all 4 on.
    I find 2 t-shirts (1 cotton, 1 acrylic) provide layers that work a treat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Everyone needs a good wooly hat, good gloves, thick socks and a warm scarf. You feel invincible with all 4 on.
    I find 2 t-shirts (1 cotton, 1 acrylic) provide layers that work a treat too.

Aldi and lidl cycling base layers are great

• Advertisement

They wear animals skins to keep warm and get pulled along in sledges rather than buggies. I don't have either of those lying around for my family:rolleyes:

We are equipped for winter weather but not this extreme. In fairness this is rare enough in Ireland. Last time it was this bad was in 2010. At least the snow boots I bought then on special offer are finally getting an outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

appledrop wrote: »
    100% agree. I nearly cracked up this morning when I looked out. Snowed more or less non stop here in North County Dublin this morning from 9am- 3pm. Place was covered in it. Thankfully though the thaw was a lot better than few weeks ago so a good bit of it melted now. If I ever hear anyone again saying they love snow I will lose it.

At least we managed to get to local parade yesterday but it was absolutely freezing. Such a miserable weekend. Was really hoping to get out to park for nice family walk. Not going to happen now. I hate snooooooooooooow!
    Miserable? Wednesday was miserable. Grey and nonstop rain. Pure depressing. Today was awesome. Yesterday too. Bright, cold yeah but not the sort of dampcold you can never keep out if your body like we usually get. I'd rather have 4 months of snow than the dreary "can't do anything" cruddy weather we usually get in this sodden rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quite an impressive event overall for the time of year. Most of the snow away from main roads is still intact, that in itself worthy of comment.

If this (or even the start of March easterly) had occurred in late January/early February the results for the country in terms of disruption would have been absolutely appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I liked today. Short and sweet snow event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Quite an impressive event overall for the time of year. Most of the snow away from main roads is still intact, that in itself worthy of comment.

If this (or even the start of March easterly) had occurred in late January/early February the results for the country in terms of disruption would have been absolutely appalling.
    Of course they never seem to happen in mid winter barring 2010.....
    We've learnt a huge amount this year:
    1) Easterlys can still develop and be as potent as ever
    2) March is not too late in Winter though early March more so...
    3) Global warming has possibly lead to a disrupted vortex.....We've seen many years now where this seems to be.
    4) Northerlys are not as cold anymore and are no comparison to the beast.

In general it's been a very good Winter for cold but with today's transient snow pbly the best we can achieve in mid March perhaps it's time so say adios Winter'17 and look forward to Spring taking hold

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

look forward to Spring taking hold

Oh if only, I would stay away from model watching for a good while if you are 'cause it does not look pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Snow came down overnight here in south Laois and by 8am this morning we had a very decent covering of about 3-4cms while it continued snowing for a few hours. But the thaw set in quickly and the roads didn't pose a problem in any way. No big drama. I'm kinda hoping this is it with the snow and cold for this half of the year, but I have distant memories of snow in April in the late 70s or very early 80s.

I love all the drama about climate change and how these days we are doomed by crazy weather events. I'll leave this snapshot of Ireland in 1950. Punchestown races called off in April due to snow. Nearly Summer!

Glorious-Punchestown-150-years-old-7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

Could anyone advise how roads are at Laragh/Rathdrum ?

Streamers seem to be going again in the north Irish sea coming onshore in Meath & Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Are northerlies really less cold now? Proper long fetch northerlies seem to be rarer than a decent easterly nowadays so I personally wouldn't say they are less cold. The frequent northerlies we got during November and December were had a short fetch therefore they weren't as cold as they could've been - one of them managed to bring the -10c 850 isotherm down to Scotland (maybe here, I can't remember) and that didn't have a particularly long fetch.

Advertisement