Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Snow gone off the road in D7.
    Looking forward to warmer days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Are northerlies really less cold now?

They can be just as cold and very disruptive mostly in the north and west so don't receive as much attention.

We had several northwesterly incursions this winter that brought significant snowfall to the north and west of the country, midlands too (often overlooked by Dubs ;) )...occasionally bringing snowfall right across the country as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It wouldn't take much for them to bring snow to the east and southeast coast. It would be similar to how Kinsale and other coastal areas of Cork got big snow totals from the last event with the wind parallel to the coast. Proper northerlies also tend to be very unstable, with embedded troughs, polar lows etc.. Hopefully we get a very potent northerly next winter, and of course easterlies!

I might do up an index of all the snow events this winter. It's been an incredible winter for snow right across the country.

Remember also Dublin missed out very narrowly on another significant frontal snow event in December only due to an onshore wind.

It's been well over 10 years since Dublin has had any genuine frontal snow event. This winter we have had two in quick succession and could well have been a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just drove from Carlow Town to east of Tullow and the difference in 15km is pretty big.

I feel sorry for those people around Hacketstown who are new to the area because when Carlow is in Yellow warning and Wicklow is in Orange many think that means all of Carlow will see much less which simply isn't true.

Streamers are hard to forecast and it's a tough job but I think Met Eireann need to start looking at their warnings in these scenarios as including Kildare and Wicklow but not Carlow is a flawed logic.

Thankfully as it's middle of March the impact hasn't been huge but lessons to be learned.

• Advertisement

Honestly the frontal snowfall here in Dublin 5 at the start of February was well... lame. The snow didn't stick to the roads at all. Storm Emma was much better but I found it quite unexciting because of the tiny icy snow particles. The streamers excited me much more, I will never forget the nights I stayed up to watch them!

Just learned that the high pressure system over Scandinavia during the first Beast was a named storm, Hartmut. It was so intense that it brought high winds. I thought the Genoa Low and that high being quite close to each other brought tight isobars hence the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some pics from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No noticeable thaw here near Roundwood. The council worked hard to get the road clear, and imby no thaw on the tarmac around the house.

Honestly the frontal snowfall here in Dublin 5 at the start of February was well... lame.

I forgot about that! That was a pretty weak occlusion from the northwest but did give some moderate bursts in the east and a dusting. Shows what an awesome winter it was!

Make that 3 out of 4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I flew out to London early Saturday morning and back this morning. I thought I'd end up getting caught both ways due to the way the forecast was going but escaped relatively unscathed.

An hour delay on the way over and the flight back this morning was diverted mid-flight to Shannon due to the runway closure, causing us to delay getting to Dublin by almost 2 and a half hours, but given the extent of what could have happened, I'll accept that.

Roads in both London and counties Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford that I passed through in the afternoon were fine for the most part. We were in a cab around 5:30am this morning in London and there were no issues at all either. The snow didn't seem to sit on the roads over there nor here, more so in the fields and surrounding areas.

Other than the flight delay/diversion and getting caught in a few light snow showers, that was about it for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I forgot about that! That was a pretty weak occlusion from the northwest but did give some moderate bursts in the east and a dusting. Shows what an awesome winter it was!

The charts in the other thread for the end of the month are interesting to say the least. Cold and a storm. I've a ferry crossing on Good Friday so hopefully that storm either doesn't materialize or blows over the day or two before.

I was confused for a sec lol. Is the other frontal snow the snow from today? If it is, then I was under the impression that it was just enhanced shower activity from the low over Normandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Theres chance of another cold spell at the end of march?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

Pretty much all the snow that was here this morning is now gone. Is that pretty much it for the snow or are we expected to see some overnight? (Near Mallow) there's the odd Flake coming down now but it's very very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres chance of another cold spell at the end of march?

There are hints that we may see another blast alright 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kittyn wrote: »
    There are hints that we may see another blast alright 🙈

I can hear the moaning already :)

Me personally, I'd be happy to have them last into April.

I was confused for a sec lol. Is the other frontal snow the snow from today? If it is, then I was under the impression that it was just enhanced shower activity from the low over Normandy.

This morning's snow in the east and south was from an occlusion coming northwest out of the UK. The shower activity was ahead of it. Technically it is enhanced activity so the difference is moot.

It's sliding away to the south now. Likely to bring 10 - 20 cms to parts of SW England overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Are northerlies really less cold now? Proper long fetch northerlies seem to be rarer than a decent easterly nowadays so I personally wouldn't say they are less cold. The frequent northerlies we got during November and December were had a short fetch therefore they weren't as cold as they could've been - one of them managed to bring the -10c 850 isotherm down to Scotland (maybe here, I can't remember) and that didn't have a particularly long fetch.

Are you referring to the 8th December?

CFSR_1_2017120818_2.png

28th November had the longest fetched northerly but it wasn't as cold as you'd think going by the 500mb height chart, in fact, it was very disappointing. Why I didn't complain about it was because I got a lot of sun from it instead :).

CFSR_1_2017112818_1.png

CFSR_1_2017112818_2.png

The lowest records of temperatures are usually recorded in easterly events whether northeasterly, southeasterly or easterly, not northerlies. Why is this so? With northerlies, the air has a lot of water to travel over before reaching us unlike with easterlies where it only has some but involves a lot of land. As you know, land is colder than sea in Winter. At least that's my understanding of what northerlies aren't as potent in terms of cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I can hear the moaning already :)

Me personally, I'd be happy to have them last into April.

It is bad for farmers given winter started early with very wet weather in autumn, and now a late spring is making fodder very scarce for animals. But there is nothing one can do about the weather.

I wouldn't mind one of those warm spells where temperatures touch 20C in March. I know, I can keep dreaming :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

I love the snow and have really enjoyed all the snow we've had this year, but I really hope it's over for this winter . I'm heading to Banna next week for a week. Would be nice to get some normal Spring weather ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The lowest records of temperatures are recorded in easterly events whether northeasterly, southeasterly or easterly, not northerlies. Why is this so? With northerlies, the air has a lot of water to travel over before reaching us unlike with easterlies where it only has some but involves a lot of land. As you know, land is colder than sea in Winter. At least that's my understanding of what northerlies aren't as potent in terms of cold.

December 2000 a northerly, right? I remember it being bitterly cold and snowy for a number of days, I was very small at the time though so my memory of the event is a bit hazy. Probably one of the things that triggered my interest in the weather. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

December 2000 a northerly, right? I remember it being bitterly cold and snowy for a number of days, I was very small at the time though so my memory of the event is a bit hazy. Probably one of the things that triggered my interest in the weather. :)

O/T: It's posts like this that make me feel like I have one foot in the grave. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is bad for farmers given winter started early with very wet weather in autumn, and now a late spring is making fodder very scarce for animals. But there is nothing one can do about the weather.

Ah yes of course, I sympathize with those who's actual earnings are threatened by the weather. However as you say, you can't change the weather, and I'm always happy to take whats thrown at me (other than cloudy benign weather).

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Have we seen the last of the snow now down here in the south east ?

quote="Kermit.de.frog;106477179"]This morning's snow in the east and south was from an occlusion coming northwest out of the UK. The shower activity was ahead of it. Technically it is enhanced activity so the difference is moot.

It's sliding away to the south now. Likely to bring 10 - 20 cms to parts of SW England overnight.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

This morning's snow in the east and south was from an occlusion coming northwest out of the UK. The shower activity was ahead of it. Technically it is enhanced activity so the difference is moot.

It's sliding away to the south now. Likely to bring 10 - 20 cms to parts of SW England overnight.

Yes it was, you can thank the lying snow from the heavy snow showers on the 27th/28th and the very sunny conditions which produced severe frosts overnight. I was only 1 month old at the time of December 2000 :p.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1256/wea.59.03/pdf

This was my post on December 2000: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105146693&postcount=159

Thewife wrote: »

Yes, chance of a light flurry later in the night but that's about it. The wind will also continue to die away. Temperatures may reach the heady heights of 6 or 7c tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Are northerlies really less cold now? Proper long fetch northerlies seem to be rarer than a decent easterly nowadays so I personally wouldn't say they are less cold. The frequent northerlies we got during November and December were had a short fetch therefore they weren't as cold as they could've been - one of them managed to bring the -10c 850 isotherm down to Scotland (maybe here, I can't remember) and that didn't have a particularly long fetch.
    A big Azores will always ensure that a northerly will be a 24-36 hour short lived
    incursion. A big Greenland high is needed for a proper northerly blast and there wasn't one this winter.

A big Azores will always ensure that a northerly will be a 24-36 hour short lived
    incursion. A big Greenland high is needed for a proper northerly blast and there wasn't one this winter.

Correct. The NAO was always going to be the fly in the ointment this Winter going by the SST profile back in May 2017, there hasn't been a Winter with a negative NAO since 2012/13.

fhxSifh.gif

This is what we want to be seeing (for cold Winter lovers) in terms of the Atlantic SST profile for May:

v9aqczE.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Limerick????
    Doubt that......heavy snow in Dublin ok..

That's correct - only Dublin gets any significant weather :rolleyes:

Conditions reported to wind driven snow which reduced visability to a few yards even though snow build up on the ground was gradual

Advertisement