Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes it was, you can thank the lying snow from the heavy snow showers on the 27th/28th and the very sunny conditions which produced severe frosts overnight. I was only 1 month old at the time of December 2000 :p.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1256/wea.59.03/pdf

This was my post on December 2000: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105146693&postcount=159

Thanks for the reply. Must have been a very potent northerly, was visiting my grandparents outside Cork city at the time; usually the south coast wouldn't do particularly well out of northerlies unless they lean northwesterly (or another system becomes involved).

First time I remember building a snowman. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well the snow is done here. I sound like a broken record now but jesus what a utterly remarkable this month has been. I just had a walk in my local park and it reminds me of why i love snow; because of the way it can transform a drab concrete jungle into something picturesque. The majestic crunchy sound of powdery snow under foot too. If we do somehow get more snow towards April, i won't turn it down. Sure it will only settle by night, but that's more than enough for me. If it's not to be, thanks for the wonderful memories and don't be a stranger from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Are you referring to the 8th December?

CFSR_1_2017120818_2.png

28th November had the longest fetched northerly but it wasn't as cold as you'd think going by the 500mb height chart, in fact, it was very disappointing. Why I didn't complain about it was because I got a lot of sun from it instead :).

CFSR_1_2017112818_1.png

CFSR_1_2017112818_2.png

The lowest records of temperatures are usually recorded in easterly events whether northeasterly, southeasterly or easterly, not northerlies. Why is this so? With northerlies, the air has a lot of water to travel over before reaching us unlike with easterlies where it only has some but involves a lot of land. As you know, land is colder than sea in Winter. At least that's my understanding of what northerlies aren't as potent in terms of cold.
    Yep, I think I was referring to the 8th of December. Brought nice weather in the form of sunshine and frost. The 28th of November charts look really good so it's a bit strange how it didn't deliver much. Excuse my short memory but for how long did it last? Maybe if it stayed this way for longer it would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Yep, I think I was referring to the 8th of December. Brought nice weather in the form of sunshine and frost. The 28th of November charts look really good so it's a bit strange how it didn't deliver much. Excuse my short memory but for how long did it last? Maybe if it stayed this way for longer it would have been great.

It lasted til the 30th November when high pressure started to approach from the west and ridge in across the country leaving us in an uneventful, dull anticyclonic high.

CFSR_1_2017120118_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

I notice on the Netweather Radar that there is a good bit bubbling up just south of Holyhead, where is that heading, I would have said South West but on the animation it looks to be heading North West?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I will never understand how weather works in this country as long as I live.
    5o clock the path outside my house was slush black ice and snow.

Now? Bone dry. And dry to the touch. Some small wet patches out on the road.

Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I notice on the Netweather Radar that there is a good bit bubbling up just south of Holyhead, where is that heading, I would have said South West but on the animation it looks to be heading North West?
    I was just looking at that too and it looks like its heading towards Wicklow, looks light though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Have we ever had significant snowfalls later than March in previous years,just wondering what are the chances that we might see more this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Meanwhile back in March 2018, there are a few flakes dancing around in the breeze here like they are waving goodbye until next time. Whether it be two years or two weeks who knows, it could even be two decades. I really enjoyed this latest cold spell, it wasn't spectacular but it still delivered the goods to many without too much fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The odd flake here. Icicles forming as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hey, so from my point of view, the end of the Dec 2010 cold spell was more of a unique situation than just your typical northerly. High pressure built up over a widespread snow pack and that caused the very low temperatures. Whether the spell before was northerly, northeasterly or easterly would not have made any difference. The fact that said high pressure occurred around the time of the longest nights of the winter season helped to promote exceptional cooling.

High pressure is about to build up over Ireland tomorrow so we'll see if that produces some very cold morning lows on Tuesday. It's too cloudy at present to allow for any radiational cooling, so temperatures have stalled at 0 to -1 generally speaking.

From what I recall of the first part of the Nov 2010-Dec 2010 cold spell, that was a northeasterly type of cold spell that transitioned to northerly before ending with a milder spell from the northwest.

There was also a fairly classic northerly in the first week to ten days of January 2010 that led to some very low temperatures.

An easterly can also lead to very low temperatures, you can check the charts for February 1895 to see the best example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 updraft

Snowfall totals- this episode 15cm last one 34cm. Newbridge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Thanks Kermit de frog for another brilliant forum and to you guys for all the brilliant pics thanks again yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

david75 wrote: »
    I will never understand how weather works in this country as long as I live.
    5o clock the path outside my house was slush black ice and snow.

Now? Bone dry. And dry to the touch. Some small wet patches out on the road.

Mental.

Not an expert, but I'd say it's down to our current low humidity. My weather station is reporting 43% humidity at the moment and this is because we have an easterly wind. The air has come across dry land of Europe for most of the way and only had a bit of contact with the sea.

Usually, we get south-westerly or westerly winds which come to us across vast expanses of Atlantic water. Typically, I see humidity at 98% or 99%. This is why most mornings when I get on the bike, any dew is still there as there's high humidity and no warming to dry the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Any poster on from lullymore, have to travel from kildare to too there on my motorbike, any ideas what the roads are like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest snow depths at 9 am.

445947.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

ZX7R wrote: »
    Any poster on from lullymore, have to travel from kildare to too there on my motorbike, any ideas what the roads are like
    Wasn’t out quite as far a lullymore but drove through kildare into Rathangan and roads are fairly ok but still lying snow about and the odd dodgy slippery spot in sheltered places .
    I would be wary enough on a motorbike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

harr wrote: »
    Wasn’t out quite as far a lullymore but drove through kildare into Rathangan and roads are fairly ok but still lying snow about and the odd dodgy slippery spot in sheltered places .
    I would be wary enough on a motorbike...

Thanks harr much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Latest snow depths at 9 am.

445947.png
    whats with the 21 cm northwest of london?, anyone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oops69 wrote: »

Frozen tears of the England rugby team and supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

DOCARCH wrote: »

hopefully their 'sweet chariots ' didn't get bogged down in the snow on the way to carrying them home .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

DOCARCH wrote: »

The thread should be locked on this epic end thread comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Weird to see bone dry roads and snow still on the grass ...like dry to the touch and still enough lying snow to build snowmen..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature stalled at +0.5c last night, was expecting a frost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Not even a flake of lying snow here in Limerick from this event thank god. -2 was the lowest temperature aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Despite my grumblings all week I actually enjoyed yesterday in the end, roads were fine throughout so no real disruption and still managed to carry on with plans. Only around 3-5cm here locally though it was nice to be able to get out and about to enjoy it compared to last time. No more til next winter now though please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Still some areas on higher ground wicklow that are tricky today

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/975729826228310017?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've done another slideshow, this time on the Son of the Beast and Ireland's Grand Slam Victory!

Enjoy all and not gonna lie, it was kind of enjoyable seeing the snow visit again especially in it creating fantastic scenes like those in the slideshow.

Snow, you're very welcome to Ireland on holiday in November :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oops69 wrote: »

It's High Wycombe (204 m). Did well out of it alright, and still 18 cm at 4 pm.

Both Casement and Dublin Airport both reported their last depths at midday. It's a lovely day here in the east and almost no evidence of the weekend in a lot of places.

4 pm depths

445978.png

Advertisement