Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

A few clips from today
    Glenmalure to Drumgoff on military road

https://youtu.be/u6BGS4bvkME

Drift at Kennedy’s farm on road up to Croghan

https://youtu.be/i0ArONbY--A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Sallins Co kildare 18/03/18
    IMAG12022_zps2kav4dk9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beautiful sunny day here in north Dublin and a pleasant 6c. Last of the snow has disappeared in the last hour.

Expecting a cold one and frost tonight as winds much slacker and go increasingly off shore overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sunny in Waterford but that breeze is bitter, recon it feels colder today than yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

Walk up Croghan Co Wicklow today

https://youtu.be/iw1z_Jvj9rw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back home in Dunshaughlin and missed all the fun and games here yesterday in the snow, no snow left by the time I got back apart from the odd patch in sheltered areas.

What a year this has been for snow, I reckon i've seen more snowfalls of various intensity's this season than any other year and that includes any winter/spring period during the 1980s.

At this stage I kinda hope this is it and spring can make a welcome return, heres hoping winter/spring 2019 is even half as good as this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

agree with poster about the cold today. windchill feels more now than any stage of this cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

dont ask me where and when this was but its very funny

https://twitter.com/invisibleman_17/status/975299071807238144

Gonzo wrote: »
    back home in Dunshaughlin and missed all the fun and games here yesterday in the snow, no snow left by the time I got back apart from the odd patch in sheltered areas.

What a year this has been for snow, I reckon i've seen more snowfalls of various intensity's this season than any other year and that includes any winter/spring period during the 1980s.

At this stage I kinda hope this is it and spring can make a welcome return, heres hoping winter/spring 2019 is even half as good as this year.

Four northwesterly interludes, two easterlies and four frontal "events". Can't ask for much more really.

Been a classic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

Beautiful sunny day here in north Dublin and a pleasant 6c. Last of the snow has disappeared in the last hour.

Expecting a cold one and frost tonight as winds much slacker and go increasingly off shore overnight.

is there something brewing at the end of this month Kermit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Four northwesterly interludes, two easterlies and four frontal "events". Can't ask for much more really.

Been a classic :cool:

this winter has been as good as your average north american winter, will be interesting to see how next season pans out. I hope we can have sharp return to properly mild conditions in April.

Here's hoping for plenty of gin blue skies and 27C days throughout this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Final hourly snow depth chart for the Dublin airports. Look at that rapid thaw this morning.

445993.png

Interesting detail in the synoptics of yesterday's snow. Apart from the lake-effect showers for the northern half of the Irish Sea, the UKMO analysed two convergence lines at 06Z; one in the southern Irish Sea and another one in the Celtic Sea. The first one is that which the Arpege was predicting a day or two in advance and pepped up the precipitation for areas south of the lake-effect streamer lines.

Also visible is an upper warm front, which makes its way across Wales and into the south of Ireland in the afternoon. The 06Z Nottingham sounding shows this front at around 800 hPa in that area at the time. It was formed by the southerly flow overrunning the cold surface airmass and would have also given enhanced precip for later in the afternoon.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018031806_000.png

3354_1_1803180503.png

By 12Z the upper front was over the east coast. There was that blob of lee cloud forming off Snowdonia, which was probably linked to this front.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018031812_000.png

By 18Z the upper front had become an upper occlusion over the south of the country but had been still producing that light snow over Munster that would have otherwise probably remained fairly dry.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018031818_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The great thing about the departure of Sunday mornings snow is there wasn't a classic drip drip melt- it just seemed to evaporate away in that dry easterly breeze.

Return in November please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it time to change the warning level ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Dew point temperatures are currently around -4 or -5 C in most of inland west-central counties (and parts of NI too).

This is often a fairly reliable indicator of later minimum temperatures under clear skies and light winds.

I imagine there are patches of snowy terrain left in some of the higher parts of Leinster so colder air may form over those and drain down slope which is perhaps why Casement or Dublin A might get as cold as the usual suspects (Gurteen, Mountdillon, Markree come to mind).

Our contest pretty much hangs on the result of tonight's cold temperatures since the lowest reading so far was -4.0 at Knock on Sunday.

Congrats to Kermit for another very useful and successful forecast thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is it time to change the warning level ?:)

Currently a yellow ME warning in effect for low temperatures.

Interesting detail in the synoptics of yesterday's snow. Apart from the lake-effect showers for the northern half of the Irish Sea, the UKMO analysed two convergence lines at 06Z; one in the southern Irish Sea and another one in the Celtic Sea. The first one is that which the Arpege was predicting a day or two in advance and pepped up the precipitation for areas south of the lake-effect streamer lines.

Also visible is an upper warm front, which makes its way across Wales and into the south of Ireland in the afternoon. The 06Z Nottingham sounding shows this front at around 800 hPa in that area at the time. It was formed by the southerly flow overrunning the cold surface airmass and would have also given enhanced precip for later in the afternoon.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018031806_000.png

3354_1_1803180503.png

By 12Z the upper front was over the east coast. There was that blob of lee cloud forming off Snowdonia, which was probably linked to this front.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018031812_000.png

By 18Z the upper front had become an upper occlusion over the south of the country but had been still producing that light snow over Munster that would have otherwise probably remained fairly dry.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018031818_000.png

Very interesting. I would have thought it was a traditional occlusion upon reaching the east coast early yesterday morning given the developing cap ahead on shower activity that frustrated so many overnight.

Getting a convergence zone in the north Irish sea would be a snow lovers dream for the east. Alas it was a bit south of us.

Dew point temperatures are currently around -4 or -5 C in most of inland west-central counties (and parts of NI too).

This is often a fairly reliable indicator of later minimum temperatures under clear skies and light winds.

I imagine there are patches of snowy terrain left in some of the higher parts of Leinster so colder air may form over those and drain down slope which is perhaps why Casement or Dublin A might get as cold as the usual suspects (Gurteen, Mountdillon, Markree come to mind).

Our contest pretty much hangs on the result of tonight's cold temperatures since the lowest reading so far was -4.0 at Knock on Sunday.

Congrats to Kermit for another very useful and successful forecast thread.

Thanks MT. Great analysis from yourself as always.

Main thing is to enjoy it. The buildup is all part of the event :cool: Though there was a brief moment I thought last night this might not work out. :/

I thought my friends and associates whom of course i'd warned would say the following day "Kermit, your an awful ****** ejjit" :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Gotta be thick skinned or right all the time to play this game ... and I am thick skinned. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Didn’t really know where to put this random question (is there a general/random/non-topic thread on here?) but was just wondering how far in advance that the experts/knowledgeable people can get a somewhat realistic indication of what’s ahead when it comes to the weather?

Paully D wrote: »
    Didn’t really know where to put this random question (is there a general/random/non-topic thread on here?) but was just wondering how far in advance that the experts/knowledgeable people can get a somewhat realistic indication of what’s ahead when it comes to the weather?

168 hrs (7 days) is the outer limit really for anything reasonable. Despite advances this has not actually really changed for 10 years from my experience. Beyond that is just speculation/trend spotting at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

168 hrs (7 days) is the outer limit really for anything reasonable. Despite advances this has not actually really changed for 10 years from my experience. Beyond that is just speculation/trend spotting at best.

Thanks for responding, Kermit (and for all your superb insight the last few weeks I’ve been really following the forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I wouldn't totally agree with that, I'd agree 7 days is still probably the limit but there's definitely been big improvements. No real evidence to back myself up but just from general experience of checking the models most days I think they've definitely gotten better at spotting trends and patterns in the 7-10 day range. A decade ago anything post 7 days was completely useless, we'd see wild swings on almost every run and nothing was guaranteed until within 72 hours, going from a 1060hPa Greenland high to a 940hPa low from one run to the next wasn't uncommon. Today there seems to be far better consistency and we can forecast 5-6 days with reasonable confidence and trends are still somewhat reliable at 9-10 days. The abundance of hi res models with endless parameters has also spoiled us, we've even got semi-reliable snowfall charts now after years of totally discounting them as nonsense!

Very interesting. I would have thought it was a traditional occlusion upon reaching the east coast early yesterday morning given the developing cap ahead on shower activity that frustrated so many overnight.

Getting a convergence zone in the north Irish sea would be a snow lovers dream for the east. Alas it was a bit south of us.

No, the cap moved in behind the 700 hPa trough and soundings showed it was a dry subsidence inversion from the high to the northeast. There was not much sign of any front on the surface chart to show a regular occlusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Getting cold now under clear skies and slack winds. -3 at Gurteen at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Before this Winter my kids said

"I wish it would snow here"

5 snow days and numerous snowmen later my kids said

"We hate snow. We want Spring"

Dont think we will have a Spring just cold n wintry n warm sunny Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I went up the Dublin mountains today, A real winter wonderland still with some legacy snow from the last spell still drifted in parts. There were also some very deep drifts I came across, looked to be 7-10 foot high, possibly on top of old snow as they were harder and more compacted than the other stuff.

I'm a fan of the mountains anyway but they are completely transformed under a layer of deep snow. I will post some photos up tomorrow.

I Would love to be hiking in similar conditions over the Easter weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Saw some of the old snow from Emma around the N4. It looks fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

pauldry wrote: »
    Saw some of the old snow from Emma around the N4. It looks fake

You sure it is not just the wrong colour at this stage?

Advertisement