Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering of land with PRAI

Options
  • 12-03-2018 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

We have a lane running at the back of the house which was originally maintained by the council.
    The local residents put in a gate over 30 years ago and effectively took control of the lane.
    There were no objections and the council wa happy to not have to bother with it..not that they do.

Any, I'm wanting to take over the land and add it into my folio. Its about 5 sqM.

I know what i need to do with the land registry map but what application form to I need to fill in for registration with the PRAI and what are the fees.
    I cant find anything definitive on the prai website.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

We have a lane running at the back of the house which was originally maintained by the council.
    The local residents put in a gate over 30 years ago and effectively took control of the lane.
    There were no objections and the council wa happy to not have to bother with it..not that they do.

Any, I'm wanting to take over the land and add it into my folio. Its about 5 sqM.

I know what i need to do with the land registry map but what application form to I need to fill in for registration with the PRAI and what are the fees.
    I cant find anything definitive on the prai website.

thanks

If I'm following you correctly you are looking to claim adverse possession of that small area?

This could be difficult for you if the lane is still used by all the neighbours.

You will be making a Section 49 application to the PRAI. If you search for PRAI and section 49 application you should come to the guidance note for what you will need to submit and which form number. The form will come with very little details already input and you will need to add whatever is relevant for your situation.

This will include a description of how you have used the land. This form is essentially a sworn affidavit which you will have to get witnessed by a solicitor or commissioner for oaths.

You will also need to state who owns the land and their address. This is because the PRAI send a notice to the registered owner who then has 21 days to respond to your application.

I think the cost is €130 and you'll have to include a marked land registry compliant map.

Be warned though - these applications can take several years to go through. I've seen cases take 8 years. Typically it's about 2 to 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for that dee75

Adverse possession was the word i was looking for.

The lane is no longer in use with all the back doors which owners had into the lane blocked up. The person I'm now backing onto did the same and took over twice what I did, so there are no objections.

The information I found here looks to explain everything but in reading it, its probably not worth it. A case of letting sleeping dogs lie might be the better course to take.

Advertisement