Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suffer as i must

Options
  • 12-03-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I've decided to start a training log to try help me stay on track
    I was doing quiet a bit of swimming running and cycling and then about 3 or so years ago i had a break from training and went back and tried too hard the first time out running and injured my feet.
    Then my wife had a baby 2 and half years ago.
    And that took its toll

and now im 20kg up and some thing needs to be done.

So the plan is to start off slow and build up easy

Goals
    5km run some time in may or june
    50km Cycle June or july
    Adventure race in september possible 31k quest achill

Got my bike back from the shop today

30 minutes on the turbo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 494TV

Resting Heart rate 74
    110.8kg
    30 minutes turbotrainer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

494TV wrote: »
    So I've decided to start a training log to try help me stay on track
    I was doing quiet a bit of swimming running and cycling and then about 3 or so years ago i had a break from training and went back and tried too hard the first time out running and injured my feet.
    Then my wife had a baby 2 and half years ago.
    And that took its toll

and now im 20kg up and some thing needs to be done.

So the plan is to start off slow and build up easy

Goals
    5km run some time in may or june
    50km Cycle June or july
    Adventure race in september possible 31k quest achill

Got my bike back from the shop today

30 minutes on the turbo

Best of luck dude. I was active for a number of years too and then had a 3 year break, piled on the kg's too. I went up to 104kg but once I decided enough is enough I cleaned up the diet by basically asking myself a 2 questions, "Am I hungry?" and "Is this a good food choice?" Seems simple but it worked, lost 25kg in 4 months - no training. Once I got the weight down the running and biking was much less of a challenge. In saying that I should have done some as I lost a lot of muscle mass and even just to get a routine going.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I know how difficult it is but it isn't impossible. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

6 years ago I was exactly the same - overweight and 110kg. One day decide to go for a run - late in the evening so nobody could see me :) Almost died 300 meters away from home. Then changed the diet (I'm low carb diet supporter), lost excess weight and started training. It's not easy, but hard work will pay off. This morning I signed for IM70.3 Dun Laoghaire.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Good luck with the journey dude - and take it slow.

Up to 4 yrs ago I was heavy, unfit and spent a lot of spare time at the table or the bar. A health hiccup made me step away from this lifestyle and I started swimming again after more than a 25 year break. Following on from this I started running, and through eagerness and trying to keep up with peers I started too quickly and with too much of a load, and was regularly injuring myself.

After a couple of sprint triathlons I signed up for 2 middle distances last year and used DonFink training plans, which forced me into a slow structured build. I completed these and have now signed up for IMUK, again building slowly and enjoying the journey (although getting a bit tired of the turbo with the weather - roll on Spring). So, from my side building slowly has worked a treat.

@El Director - "Am I hungry?" and "Is this a good food choice?" - Love it. Especially when locked in with snow.

Good luck 494TV and enjoy.

Advertisement