Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delwood/Brompton Planning Permission

Options
  • 12-03-2018 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

hi, anyone in here live in Delwood/Brompton and have been through getting their carport converted and porch enclosed? We are one of the few houses that don't have it done and I'm trying to figure out what planning permission if any is needed.

The carport is fine because it's under 40 sqm but the porch is over 2 sqm but since it's just enclosing under the existing roof and not building a totally new structure does it count? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Most of the historical planning applications on the Fingal site in Delwood and Brompton are for garage and porch conversions, go through them and hopefully one will be modern enough to have some correspondence and drawings.

Highly unlikely you'll have any issues but best to get any permissions you need now. You could ring Fingal and ask them for a pre-planning consultation, they'll run through it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Most of the historical planning applications on the Fingal site in Delwood and Brompton are for garage and porch conversions, go through them and hopefully one will be modern enough to have some correspondence and drawings.

Highly unlikely you'll have any issues but best to get any permissions you need now. You could ring Fingal and ask them for a pre-planning consultation, they'll run through it with you.

Thanks, I got in touch with them this morning to start the process. Looks like it will delay the build by a couple of months but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Dobbit wrote: »
    Thanks, I got in touch with them this morning to start the process. Looks like it will delay the build by a couple of months but better safe than sorry.

Best of luck with it!

I found a previous one that has the drawings and application to give you an idea

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F04B/0327

F04B/0327

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Best of luck with it!

I found a previous one that has the drawings and application to give you an idea

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F04B/0327

F04B/0327

This is great, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When Delwood and Brompton were originally built in the early to mid 1970s the houses were very generously proportioned with ample space for rear and sometimes side extensions. Something you never see in the tiny shoebox houses built these days...

AFAIK any structure more than 40 sq m will require planning permission, but best to check with Fingal CC first.

I wish you well in your conversion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

any change to the front needs permission except a tiny porch.
    you should not have any problem getting it - and you only need outline drawings for the plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ilsilenzio

The front facade, (windows/ porch/doors etc), visually, are, understandably, a Planning consideration, I believe, irrespective of square footage. Also, I believe, the square footage exemption (meterage ?) is a cumulative one-- ie you cannot do the max exemption this year and try a similar exemption next year. There is also a limit on the height and free "garden" space at the rere of the property,

Nowadays, unfortunately, or maybe not, a professional opinion might avoid potential problems in the future.

I did a carport /porch conversion and added a conservatory at rere in the area some 15 years ago with minimal planning arrangements. Had I needed to sell in the interim a solicitor for a purchaser could cause problems, if cranky. Know of a case where a marginally differing width, between two s/d houses, in the passageway in a semi detached estate, built 30 years ago, was used by a solicitor to complicate a straightforward sale.

Advertisement