Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't buy Canyon with TravelHub

Options
  • 13-03-2018 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

On the bike to work I was all set to get a Canyon Endurace AL 7.0 rim brake with the full 105 groupset.

Just found out the company use travelhub which appear to be restricted to Ireland.

So what is the best priced full 105 groupset from a bike shop in Ireland?

The Trek emonda ALR is €1600. The same spec and probably better tyres on the canyon is €1100.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    On the bike to work I was all set to get a Canyon Endurace AL 7.0 rim brake with the full 105 groupset.

Just found out the company use travelhub which appear to be restricted to Ireland.

The Trek emonda ALR is €1600. The same spec and probably better tyres on the canyon is €1100.

Not sure the rate of tax you pay, but if there is a €500 Euro difference
    , maybe the Canyon outside the scheme is cheaper for you? There may be other options like Planet X in Athlone? High spec for the price.
    That tax scheme is has so many people blinkered to better value/deals outside it. Ultimately, it’s what you pay for it net (out of your pocket) that matters. It’s just my thoughts on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The Cannondale CAAD Optimo Disc 105 can be had for between €1000-€1400 at cyclesuperstore depending on size
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=100113

360 cycles in Clontarf have some Meridas and aluminium Cannondale (Synapse and CAADX) upto €1500-1600
    http://www.360cycles.ie/search/105/

The Cube Attain Disc Series should come in around that budget for 105 spec probably closer to €1500 and can be checked out in either fitzcycles (Stillorgan), D2 bikes on Erne street or cyclebike off Capel street

Your best bet is to call around to the bike shops and check if any 2017 stock is still available at reduced prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Any reason it has to be full 105 speed? The newest Tiagra is very good. I'm not sure you will match the canyon for spec and frame at that price.

I find Fitzcycles usually have some well priced bikes, I've never bought anything from them but they seem to get good reviews,

Cube with full 105 for 1099

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3326/cube-attain#description-tab-tab

Orbea with Tiagra for 999

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3166/orbea-avant

Orbea with 105 for 1149

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2620/orbea-avant#buy-tab-tab

Some nice BMC bikes and one or two lapierres around the price too. Plenty of choice out there at that price, maybe not as attractive as the canyon but buying local you might get some easier after sales support if there is any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What is travel hub and what has it got to do with buying a bike from Canyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

What is travel hub and what has it got to do with buying a bike from Canyon?

They are a company to whom many employers (mine included) outsource the facilitation of schemes like bike to work, Taxsaver, etc. Travelhub in turn only deal with certain brick and mortar shops in Ireland, and not online retailers like Canyon, and thus employees of companies using them can't purchase their BTW bicycles from said e-tailers. The major downside of such a vendor to the employee is that it operates as a voucher scheme, and they typically take a commission of the total value for their fee, meaning that the employee's purchasing/bargaining power is reduced, on top of excluding better value options like Canyon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

joey100 wrote: »
    Any reason it has to be full 105 speed? The newest Tiagra is very good. I'm not sure you will match the canyon for spec and frame at that price.

I find Fitzcycles usually have some well priced bikes, I've never bought anything from them but they seem to get good reviews,

Cube with full 105 for 1099

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3326/cube-attain#description-tab-tab

Orbea with Tiagra for 999

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3166/orbea-avant

Orbea with 105 for 1149

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2620/orbea-avant#buy-tab-tab

Some nice BMC bikes and one or two lapierres around the price too. Plenty of choice out there at that price, maybe not as attractive as the canyon but buying local you might get some easier after sales support if there is any issues.

No I could probably go Tiagra but it will be the only bike I get for a few years so would like to future proof and maybe the 105 will hold up more. The after sales service is a huge plus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No I could probably go Tiagra but it will be the only bike I get for a few years so would like to future proof and maybe the 105 will hold up more. The after sales service is a huge plus.

As Kissy said, go for the Canyon direct if it is the one you want. The most you will save is 520euro, so by buying a bike that is your second choice you are really only saving 50euro. You could also then use the scheme in the nearer future for a different bike.

As for the 105/Tiagra debate. One will not outlast the other to any noticeable degree, buying Tiagra is like buying 105 from 1 or 2 years ago, unnoticeable weight penalty.

The only fair point you made was the after sales service, which will be better at an LBS and if they get to know you, will progressively get better priced.

Personally I would go for the Cube in joey100s post, but that is only because I don't like Treks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I rented a cube attain last year (think it was a carbon model). Thought it was brilliant. It just fit in every way possible. I'd also be going for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

cython wrote: »
    They are a company to whom many employers (mine included) outsource the facilitation of schemes like bike to work, Taxsaver, etc. Travelhub in turn only deal with certain brick and mortar shops in Ireland, and not online retailers like Canyon, and thus employees of companies using them can't purchase their BTW bicycles from said e-tailers. The major downside of such a vendor to the employee is that it operates as a voucher scheme, and they typically take a commission of the total value for their fee, meaning that the employee's purchasing/bargaining power is reduced, on top of excluding better value options like Canyon.

Aka typical ripoff republic scam

kenmc wrote: »
    Aka typical ripoff republic scam

Afraid it’s not a scam ...quite legit in fact. Not unique to Ireland either. Plenty of similar turn key employee benefit facilitators in the UK.

Consumers (employee) restriction of value / restriction of choice I would agree with though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

While not a scam in the true sense of the word, it's pretty much a scam in a money-for-nothing sense. The employee has to do all of the shopping, the employer has to do all of the salary sacrifice deductions and record keeping for revenue while the 'facilitator' just prints a voucher, notifies the employer to do their salary stuff and creams off 10%.

On that same note, I'd be asking my employer why they are using such a bad value 'facilitator' both in terms of company workload 'removed' and in terms of 'service' provided to employes*.

*Actually limitations imposed on employees rather than service provided

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That tax scheme is has so many people blinkered to better value/deals outside it. Ultimately, it’s what you pay for it net (out of your pocket) that matters. It’s just my thoughts on it anyway.

Yeah, I've seen this happen with mates, who pay over the odds for bikes just as it's on the BTW scheme.

But then being able to pay it off in instalments is an incentive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    While not a scam in the true sense of the word, it's pretty much a scam in a money-for-nothing sense. The employee has to do all of the shopping, the employer has to do all of the salary sacrifice deductions and record keeping for revenue while the 'facilitator' just prints a voucher, notifies the employer to do their salary stuff and creams off 10%.

On that same note, I'd be asking my employer why they are using such a bad value 'facilitator' both in terms of company workload 'removed' and in terms of 'service' provided to employes*.

*Actually limitations imposed on employees rather than service provided
    It is pretty much a scam, just happens to be completely legal. I tried explaining it to my current employers and they seemed to be confused when I explained it was less work to run it themselves but alas, it is what it is.
    Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen this happen with mates, who pay over the odds for bikes just as it's on the BTW scheme.

But then being able to pay it off in instalments is an incentive.
    An old colleague made no saving at all (or minimal), it was the ability to pay it off as a interest free loan was the big selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

You could try going to your LBS and asking them to order it for you, presumably with some kind of % incentive for them. Might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

droidus wrote: »
    You could try going to your LBS and asking them to order it for you, presumably with some kind of % incentive for them. Might work.

It worked for a mate of mine, LBS bought a Canyon Ultimate for him, they agreed €100 fee for doing it and he paid them the difference over the €1000 and they claimed the rest on the BTW scheme. Its easy money for them and all it involves is them going online and completing the order form and paying.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is pretty much a scam, just happens to be completely legal. I tried explaining it to my current employers and they seemed to be confused when I explained it was less work to run it themselves but alas, it is what it is.

I will concede these facilitators add very little or no value to the process. My thinking is there has to be some upshot for a company – employers are not stupid Or are they?? :D
    Scam is too strong though for something that is as said above ‘legal’. That said, I would never use the one promoted by my employer. If I ever avail of it, I will request a cheque.
    droidus wrote: »

Excellent – very entrepreneurial!! Glad to see from Cram that it can work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Thanks for all the replies. Went for the Cube Attain SL recommended above. Took it for a test spin. Lovely bike and for €1100 is great value.

Advertisement