Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hare trouble

Options
  • 13-03-2018 1:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

planted 1500 whitethorns bareroots and them bloody rabbits or hare have nipped over a quarter of them in half.
    is mesh or electric fencer any good to keep them away

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Might be a good idea to post in the hunting forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Smear them with car grease.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We had the exact same problem, have 120 whips arrived to replace the eaten ones. All we could do was buy chicken wire & put it round them. Wasn't arsed burying it so put straw dung all round the base.
    When I mentioned it here before I was told white paint would do the job too.

And you're not allowed shoot hares right now, just so ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

adamhughes wrote: »
    planted 1500 whitethorns bareroots and them bloody rabbits or hare have nipped over a quarter of them in half.
    is mesh or electric fencer any good to keep them away

Hares are protected...rabbits aren't

make sure you can tell the difference before you go snaring/shooting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭adamhughes

We had the exact same problem, have 120 whips arrived to replace the eaten ones. All we could do was buy chicken wire & put it round them. Wasn't arsed burying it so put straw dung all round the base.
    When I mentioned it here before I was told white paint would do the job too.

And you're not allowed shoot hares right now, just so ya know!

would never shoot them anyway but mine cleanly cut off 6 inches from the ground,

I wonder would they still grow?

• Advertisement

would never shoot them anyway but mine cleanly cut off 6 inches from the ground,

I wonder would they still grow?

Ours haven't grown back and this happened last summer, same as yours, nipped clean a few inches off the ground. Our planner said to replace them just in case of an inspection so needs must!

Ours haven't grown back and this happened last summer, same as yours, nipped clean a few inches off the ground. Our planner said to replace them just in case of an inspection so needs must!
    so you believe it is hares then?
    have don't have many to replace? how many in total did you plant?

Oh we know for sure it's hares, no rabbits around here at all in maybe 15yrs since myxie got them. We planted 400 and a loss of around 100, have ordered 120 just to be on the safe side.

Oh we know for sure it's hares, no rabbits around here at all in maybe 15yrs since myxie got them. We planted 400 and a loss of around 100, have ordered 120 just to be on the safe side.
    2300 here and over 1000 nipped

someone mention using chicken wire, 2ft height, but several strands of electric fence wire low down might do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

As the poster above mentioned...electric fence and use at least two strands, should work very well now when the ground is so wet.
    For a long term fix chicken wire..won't have to be buried very deep for Hares as they are not great diggers like Rabbits.

• Advertisement

2300 here and over 1000 nipped

someone mention using chicken wire, 2ft height, but several strands of electric fence wire low down might do the job

It might indeed. Thought about that route but the field where we've the trees is very difficult to access with the mains fence & the battery fence is needed elsewhere so had feck all choice but the chicken wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ganmo wrote: »
    Hares are protected...rabbits aren't

make sure you can tell the difference before you go snaring/shooting

Hares can be legally shot (with a shotgun only) from October to the end of February.

No special licence is required.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement