Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome Issue: Searches are filled with Ads and "search instead for" is gone.

Options
  • 13-03-2018 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

I[font=Arial, sans-serif]'m not sure how this has happened as I've not installed anything new. When I type something into the search or address bar, the page initially loads as normal but then it is quickly replaced by a window of ads and also various adds scattered through my results. The "search instead for" which usually comes up upon a spell mistake has disappeared too. Does anyone know why this could be happening?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I[font=Arial, sans-serif]'m not sure how this has happened as I've not installed anything new. When I type something into the search or address bar, the page initially loads as normal but then it is quickly replaced by a window of ads and also various adds scattered through my results. The "search instead for" which usually comes up upon a spell mistake has disappeared too. Does anyone know why this could be happening?[/font]

Have you tried running Malwarebytes? Could be something dodgy installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Yeah mate no malware detected. Funny thing is though, if I log into chrome as guest the problem doesn't exist. I assumed it may be my extensions so I deactivated them all but problem still exists. I also cleared cache and cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

best IT tip you will get. Replace your HOSTS file with this one and say goodbye to ads.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

Advertisement