Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL 2nd Round, 2nd leg, Man Utd (0) vs (0) Sevilla (TV3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just like taking Salah out of the Liverpool team or Kane out of the Spurs team.
    He’s a United player. What’s the point in even saying that?

Because you're comparing a goalkeeper with 30-goal a year strikers there, which shows what kind of football United are playing. They're not getting points because of creative, entertaining players, they're getting points because of a goalkeeper making great saves.

United only had six shots on target over two legs, tonight alone Sevilla has six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hahahahaha hahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Top teams normally have top strikers. Top teams rarely have defences forcing their keeping to make the number of saves that bottom 3 keepers have to make.
    I
    Sure it's often used as a reason for keepers not making the step up to a top side, having been used to being kept busy throughout games.
    Lukaku was good again tonight, got a cracking goal and held the ball up really well the amount of times he fed the ball out wide and then it was wasted was crazy. WAs surprised Fellaini came off too as even though he had been out for ages he looked like he could at least do something on the ball and wanted to keep the ball in his team. Pogba was poor but was obviously not fit enough to play yet, still worked himself a good chance with a shot. What was up with Mc Tominay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because it's highly unusual and says a lot about a team for a goalkeeper to be their best and most important player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Top teams normally have top strikers. Top teams rarely have defences forcing their keeping to make the number of saves that bottom 3 keepers have to make.
    I
    Sure it's often used as a reason for keepers not making the step up to a top side, having been used to being kept busy throughout games.

Makes no odds to me. United are in second place in the league with a lot of help from De Gea. Spurs are in 3rd with a lot of help from Kane etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nah it doesn't work like that, take out a forward and you lose a certain number of goals but not necessarily many games (top strikers also score "icing goals" remember), take de Gea (2.5 saves per game) out of Utd and unless you replaced him with someone as good you'd be leaking points like crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RobertKK wrote: »
    United were not going to win the CL even if they had gotten through so it isn't a big deal.

I doubt many people would agree with that to be
    honest.

What's the point in qualifying at all then if your not going to win it?

xabi wrote: »
    Mid table team without him
    Think Souness is spot on when he says de Gea is United's best player. Take him out of the team and they'd be struggling for fourth.

Even Arsenal would have walloped United without De Gea......Arsenal ffs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I’d say they didn’t want to win it anyway

murpho999 wrote: »
    Because it's highly unusual and says a lot about a team for a goalkeeper to be their best and most important player.

He’s the best but I wouldn’t say he’s the most important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

it's been like that for 4 or 5 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

interesting pre match article on Yedder, they couldnt beleive he didnt start

A former French U21 international who has never made a senior appearance for Les Bleus, he turned down an approach from Tunisia late last year ahead of The Carthage Eagles’ 2018 World Cup campaign, clearly hoping to play for the country of his birth. Ben Yedder was still in fine form at that point, scoring 11 goals in his first 15 appearances for Sevilla in all competitions. Even now, after a downturn in his fortunes, he still has six goals from six Champions League appearances (or eight in eight if we’re counting the two he scored against Istanbul Basaksehir in Sevilla’s two-legged play-off qualifier).

That makes it seem even more bizarre that he did not feature in Sevilla’s 0-0 draw with Manchester United in the first leg of the Champions League Round of 16, remaining on the bench for the full 90 minutes despite Los Rojiblancos hunting for a goal and a narrow home advantage.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/sevillas-champions-league-hero-wissam-ben-yedder-margins-ahead-trip-old-trafford-153002009.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

mightyreds wrote: »
    We just hate united!!

Wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaattttttt :eek:
    I'd never have guessed

This is a match thread and non-United fans are perfectly entitled to comment on it.

Just like Utd fans would if Liverpool had lost a game.
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Hey, you don't need to be a Sevilla fan to enjoy watching United lose :)

Oh dear, ye guys are on fire tonight

Makes no odds to me. United are in second place in the league with a lot of help from De Gea. Spurs are in 3rd with a lot of help from Kane etc.

Do you genuinely enjoy watching Utd games now, when you remember how great Utd teams played in the past, or compared to how City, Liverpool, Spurs and many others play the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

interesting pre match article on Yedder, they couldnt beleive he didnt start

A former French U21 international who has never made a senior appearance for Les Bleus, he turned down an approach from Tunisia late last year ahead of The Carthage Eagles’ 2018 World Cup campaign, clearly hoping to play for the country of his birth. Ben Yedder was still in fine form at that point, scoring 11 goals in his first 15 appearances for Sevilla in all competitions. Even now, after a downturn in his fortunes, he still has six goals from six Champions League appearances (or eight in eight if we’re counting the two he scored against Istanbul Basaksehir in Sevilla’s two-legged play-off qualifier).

That makes it seem even more bizarre that he did not feature in Sevilla’s 0-0 draw with Manchester United in the first leg of the Champions League Round of 16, remaining on the bench for the full 90 minutes despite Los Rojiblancos hunting for a goal and a narrow home advantage.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/sevillas-champions-league-hero-wissam-ben-yedder-margins-ahead-trip-old-trafford-153002009.html

The current Sevilla manager has something against him for some reason, he's an idiot clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I honestly feel Super Agents are turning utd into Manchester Galacticos for their own benefit and not the clubs.

Madrid has shown Galacticos teams don't really work.

PSG are showing the same when it comes to European football as well.

rob316 wrote: »
    it's been like that for 4 or 5 years now.

Plenty of teams without this “problem” have won nothing in those 4/5 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The favourite tag doesn’t suit United. It’s like they need something to kick them into gear in these games. If Sevilla scored in the first half, I think United would have gone on to win it.
    Sevilla are not a good side at all. It was cowardly and careless all round from United.

Fully agree with the bolded part, but surely somebody like Sanchez should be setting the tempo of that game and getting at them when it's 0-0...they were just so static.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well Jose has come out and talked utter rubbish in the post match h was happy with the way they performed! THey played well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Souness and Lennon bang on. Basics are missing and United are weak in too many areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Better team, in both legs, has gone through.
    Sevilla should had a one or two goal lead going to OT after the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You don't really understand all this football lark, do you?

There's a reason de gea being where he is in the shots stats is a glaring anomaly.

Liverpool create a lot of chances. A good striker will do well there. That's not the same as a great gk propping up a team that's conceding a large amount of shots on target. De Gea should not be making the same number of saves as a team fighting relegation.

Aren't you a self proclaimed neutral?

So who were you supporting in this game?

Sevilla
    I love small teams winning in the CL
    I wasn't neutral at all

I dont claim to be neutral at all, i just dont support United or Liverpool
    Last time i checked there is thousands of other teams around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irishman86 wrote: »
    Oh dear, ye guys are on fire tonight

You seem pretty salty for someone who isn't a United fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well Jose has come out and talked utter rubbish in the post match h was happy with the way they performed! THey played well...

Defending the players... Of which 7 or 8 tonight don't deserve

He's delusional. They were rubbish tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

5 English sides into the last 16 and 3 likely to be knocked out.

Its great that all the English sides got there but the 2 that got through got handy draws but made light work of their opponents, so fair dues there to Pool and City.

Utd made a dogs dinner of the Sevilla game and on paper, should have gone through, Spurs threw away a glorious chance of knocking out a pre-tournament favourite and moving into the quarter finals.

Chelsea are more than likely dropping out too tomorrow night but got the toughest draw so I'm not overly bothered by that, as long as we dont get battered by 4 or 5.

The majority of the English sides, despite all the billions, still have some way to go to catch up with the best in Europe.

Edit : I expected Utd, City and Pool to get through the last 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

'I'm really happy that every player is sad, they don't hide that sadness. It's something that pleases me, because i feel exactly the same.'
    :pac:

Do you genuinely enjoy watching Utd games now, when you remember how great Utd teams played in the past, or compared to how City, Liverpool, Spurs and many others play the game?

It’s not as easy on the eye obviously. Saturday was enjoyable though even if it wasn’t scintillating stuff from start to finish, same with the Chelsea game a few weeks ago.
    All the 4-0 scorelines earlier in the season were enjoyable too. It’s not the absolute slog that yous might think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What is mourinho smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Class interview from Jose. Lol.

Jose's going for the 'it's not unusual for United to be out at this stage' approach. Talking about how they were out when he was manager of Porto and Madrid.

Ballsy move.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've never seen a neutral jump to United's defence as much in all my time on boards

I dont support United ive said a thousand times
    I just support Liverpool a whole lot less. Its mostly to do with the fan base tbh
    Pretty much follow the french connection and thats who i will support in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

United are a poor side defensively, have been for some time. Won't be improving anytime soon. New centre halves will probably cost them £150 million, two full backs at least £100. Sanchez is fading quickly( he chose gold instead of glory), and as for the french Carlton Palmer? Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So it’s all about Mourinho beating UTD twice before, what a clown, the ego has well and truly landed. If I was a UTD fan I would not be happy with that shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

UrbanFret wrote: »
    United are a poor side defensively, have been for some time. Won't be improving anytime soon. New centre halves will probably cost them £150 million, two full backs at least £100. Sanchez is fading quickly( he chose gold instead of glory), and as for the french Carlton Palmer? Oh dear.

Very true re Carlton Palmer lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

UrbanFret wrote: »

Second best defensive record in the league mate.

Thanks to the best goalkeeper in the world. The players in front of him aren't at that level.

It’s not as easy on the eye obviously. Saturday was enjoyable though even if it wasn’t scintillating stuff from start to finish, same with the Chelsea game a few weeks ago.
    All the 4-0 scorelines earlier in the season were enjoyable too. It’s not the absolute slog that yous might think it is.

Well as a Liverpool fan, in the past, I watched Utd regularly. Believe it or not it is capable to watch Utd as a neutral.

They always played attractive football and in the last 20 plus years they set the standard.

Now, in Mourinho's time I'd barely watch them, negative tactics and poor performances. Even doubted I'd watch tonight's game as I feared a bore-fest and that's what we got in the first half.

Granted, Utd beat Liverpool last Saturday, fair play to them they took their chances but the tactics they used , with so little possession, at home against one of their biggest rivals is not the Man Utd way, and not an approach Alex Ferguson would ever have used.

Also, look at the money they have spent. It's a very poor return.

Met plenty of Utd fans who are not happy with them at the moment but it seems that many boards posters just don't want to admit that it's not that good at the moment.

• Advertisement

Utd found out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jose came across like he won't be in that job next season unfortunately

Jose came across like he won't be in that job next season unfortunately

Don't say that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

De Gea voted Uniteds player of the season the last two years running no? And on for three in a row this year. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He's knows the PSG job is there if he wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Any clips of the post match with Jose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Not fooling me. Had sevilla a decent striker on the field for the full 90 it would have been an embarrassing scoreline. There's a simple explanation why they have that defensive record, put simply if you "park the bus" against anyone half decent then you won't concede many. When the onus is on utd to attack they look as porous as **** .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Number of saves

1. Jack Butland 106
    1. Lukasz Fabianski 106
    3. Jordan Pickford 100
    4. David de Gea 97
    5. Mat Ryan 92
    6. Nick Pope 89
    7. Kasper Schmeichel 87

Look at the position de gea is and the keepers around him. There's a suspicious lack of keepers from the teams Utd are competing with.........

• Long time since I've been this gutted after a Utd match in years

That was poor on so many levels, Jose got it all wrong

We deserve all the piss take we get so enjoy folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The post match comments were some shot at the club. “I knocked Utd out before”. Must feel he’s gone to say that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement