Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL 2nd Round, 2nd leg, Man Utd (0) vs (0) Sevilla (TV3)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The United way is a load of rubbish. United don’t have a way. Ferguson was there for most of my time watching football. It was the Fergie way. Then it was the Moyes/van Gaal/Mourinho way.

Trust me, it’s not always as bad to watch as you might think. Liverpool are exciting to watch in a different way and more consistently exciting at that so it might look worse coming from that.

In saying all that, tonight was the worst of the lot. Really didn’t look bothered at all.

Utd have always played attacking football. Yes, they could nullify a game or grind out a win if needed but in the main they dominated teams, possession and games.
    Against Liverpool on Saturday, negative tactics were deployed and Utd had only 32% possession of the all at home. Ok they won but that sort of play won't always win you games as was shown tonight and it's not how teams of Utd in the past played and it's not easy on the eye.

Finally, thought Jose's press conference was totally shocking tonight. Saying it's not the end of the world and Utd have experienced CL defeats before against teams he managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Oranage2 wrote: »
    mikhaterian at arsenal is thriving.
    Not sure about this part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Never would have imagined so many Liverpool fans would be so concerned about maintaining "the United way". I would have thought they would be more concerned about the current league standings that show this supposedly problem-riddled United side they excoriate being two places ahead of their apparently wonderful, much better set-up!

A bit of perspective here perhaps: United finished 6th in the league last season; now they currently sit 2nd. Last season they contested the Europa League; this season the tougher Champions League. The club have work to do to get where they need to be. Everyone I think realises that. I don't think any United fan seriously thought they could win the Champions League this year.

But if United can finish in the top four and perhaps land an FA Cup into the bargain that will constitute progress. Would that be sufficient for where United ultimately aspire to be? Would it be enough for what United hope to accomplish next season? No. But for this season, compared to last, it would represent satisfactory progress. And it can still happen.

Never would have imagined so many Liverpool fans would be so concerned about maintaining "the United way". I would have thought they would be more concerned about the current league standings that show this supposedly problem-riddled United side they excoriate being two places ahead of their apparently wonderful, much better set-up!

A bit of perspective here perhaps: United finished 6th in the league last season; now they currently sit 2nd. Last season they contested the Europa League; this season the tougher Champions League. The club have work to do to get where they need to be. Everyone I think realises that. I don't think any United fan seriously thought they could win the Champions League this year.

But if United can finish in the top four and perhaps land an FA Cup into the bargain that will constitute progress. Would that be sufficient for where United ultimately aspire to be? Would it be enough for what United hope to accomplish next season? No. But for this season, compared to last, it would represent satisfactory progress. And it can still happen.

There's not "so many" Liverpool fans talking about the United Way, just me.

Either way, do you seriously think that fans of one team cannot watch another team objectively and reach thought out conclusions and then discuss them?

The point is that Utd are not playing attractive football, regardless of their league position and if it wasn't for De Gea being in fantastic form then they would not be in 2nd place.

Winning an FA Cup, would not be a successful season, no more than it was for Arsenal and nor would it have been in the past for good Utd teams.

Signings such as Sanchez and Pogba have not delivered.

The difference with Liverpool is that there is a feeling of being on the verge of something big. Their signings have been a bigger success and many fans, pundits and journalists have spoken of Liverpool being just a couple of signings away from challenging for major honours. Naby Keita is on the way and there'll be a couple more in the summer. Most likely a keeper and a striker.
    This season qualifying again for Champion's League, which is looking likely would be good progress and a Champion's League run this season is welcome and a sign of improvement.
    So plenty of optimism around Anfield that I don't think is really there at Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Great result and delighted for Sevilla, knew they were no mugs given the group stages.

Any team that thinks they'll be a handy number in the quarters are up for a ride awakening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Nothing like a good ride awakening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

murpho999 wrote: »
    There's not "so many" Liverpool fans talking about the United Way, just me.

Either way, do you seriously think that fans of one team cannot watch another team objectively and reach thought out conclusions and then discuss them?

The point is that Utd are not playing attractive football, regardless of their league position and if it wasn't for De Gea being in fantastic form then they would not be in 2nd place.

Winning an FA Cup, would not be a successful season, no more than it was for Arsenal and nor would it have been in the past for good Utd teams.

Signings such as Sanchez and Pogba have not delivered.

The difference with Liverpool is that there is a feeling of being on the verge of something big. Their signings have been a bigger success and many fans, pundits and journalists have spoken of Liverpool being just a couple of signings away from challenging for major honours. Naby Keita is on the way and there'll be a couple more in the summer. Most likely a keeper and a striker.
    This season qualifying again for Champion's League, which is looking likely would be good progress and a Champion's League run this season is welcome and a sign of improvement.
    So plenty of optimism around Anfield that I don't think is really there at Old Trafford.

There's the likes of yourself and a few others that CAN discuss a rival team with no crap.

Then you have "the others", noticeably absent from the match thread Saturday and the aftermath of the game, only to suddenly find their little voices when United go behind.

Some of the same lads that having been crying about a few United fans posting in the LFC superthreads.

The same lads that crow about United's alleged obsession with LFC.

There have been a few LFC lads posting in the United thread lately and not one of them has gotten any static because they weren't acting the bollox.

Many of the individuals in this thread, Well, it's fairly obvious what their game is and they should be treated accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mourinho really has bought into this Brexit thing😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭mada999

There's the likes of yourself and a few others that CAN discuss a rival team with no crap.

Then you have "the others", noticeably absent from the match thread Saturday and the aftermath of the game, only to suddenly find their little voices when United go behind.

Some of the same lads that having been crying about a few United fans posting in the LFC superthreads.

There have been a few LFC lads posting in the United thread lately and not one of them has gotten any static because they weren't acting the bollox.

Many of the individuals in this thread, Well, it's fairly obvious what their game is and they should be treated accordingly.

Seems to me that fans of both teams are at it...

• Advertisement

Both sides do it. It's all down to tribal human nature.

Plenty of Utd fans disappear after a defeat and vice versa.

Don't let a handful of posters here make you think they are representative of all fans.

mada999 wrote: »
    Seems to me that fans of both teams are at it...

Never said they weren't tbf.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Both sides do it. It's all down to tribal human nature.

Plenty of Utd fans disappear after a defeat and vice versa.

Don't let a handful of posters here make you think they are representative of all fans.

Ah jaysus, sure I know that. I've been having craic off site with an LFC fan over the weekend and last night. My point was that some people are very quick to cry foul about something but in the next breath engage in the exact same thing they whining about.

Anyway, it's only football, loada shyte when you look at it really!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Anyone else get seriously confused when Mada999 and Murpho999 post so close together.. it’s like another jayo26/jayop :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After the **** that Spurs fans got last week, i admit to having a good chuckle at this result when i saw it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Shambolic performance from an average club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Great result and delighted for Sevilla, knew they were no mugs given the group stages.

Any team that thinks they'll be a handy number in the quarters are up for a ride awakening.

Leicester beat them last year to get to the QFs of the CL. :o

Joses approach to the game was horrific and theyve thrown away 2 good results against Chelsea and Pool to lose at home to Sevilla.

I dont think any Utd fan would have expected them to win the CL this year but when the draw was made, must would have expected them to have enough for sevilla over two legs and get to the QFs, from there, you never know what can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Leicester beat them last year to get to the QFs of the CL. :o

Joses approach to the game was horrific and theyve thrown away 2 good results against Chelsea and Pool to lose at home to Sevilla.

I dont think any Utd fan would have expected them to win the CL this year but when the draw was made, must would have expected them to have enough for sevilla over two legs and get to the QFs, from there, you never know what can happen.

A few United fans were saying when the draw was made that they'd get through and were laughing at Liverpool's two draws in the group stage saying we couldn't even beat them.

Funny that those two draws would have put United through now though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

TitianGerm wrote: »
    A few United fans were saying when the draw was made that they'd get through and were laughing at Liverpool's two draws in the group stage saying we couldn't even beat them.

Funny that those two draws would have put United through now though :pac:

Who were they?

Who were they?

You might be shocked by this but they were actual friends of mine who support United!!

You might be shocked by this but they were actual friends of mine who support United!!

Convenient...

• Advertisement

Convenient...

No it's the truth. I say you'd find a few similar opinions on Boards s few weeks back as well.

No it's the truth. I say you'd find a few similar opinions on Boards s few weeks back as well.

Do you hang around with teenagers?

Do you hang around with teenagers?

Just because they are United fans doesn't mean they are teenagers. That's a bit unfair to them.

Just because they are United fans doesn't mean they are teenagers. That's a bit unfair to them.

You should probably get new friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well played sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Shambolic performance from an average club.

team, not club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who were they?

Immediate reaction in the Utd superthread to December's draw:
    M!Ck^ wrote:
    Liverpool poxed with Porto
    ElChe32 wrote:
    Sevilla - dodged a few bullets there!
    adox wrote:
    Sevilla!!

decent draws for the English clubs apart from Spurs.
    TheDoc wrote:
    Happy with that draw, could have been brutal.

Decent deep run in CL please now Jose
    TitianGerm wrote:
    They are in the group stages because Spartak messed up big time against Maribor, drawing both games.

Sevilla are good but United will have to much for them.

You should probably get new friends.

Well your my friend so I have at least one :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You quoted me there as well. I support Liverpool but thought United would have too much for them.

And? It was a preferable draw. The whole premise of TG’s post was United fans laughing at how Liverpool couldn’t even beat them.

• Advertisement

And? It was a preferable draw. The whole premise of TG’s post was United fans laughing at how Liverpool couldn’t even beat them.

I didn't say that was on here though. I had two mates of mine laughing and joking about the Sevilla draw saying that they should get through no problems.

One of there main points were that Liverpool scored 5 against this lot and that United should also get a few but that they wouldn't concede like Liverpool because United can actually defend.

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »

This is what Titan said;

"A few United fans were saying when the draw was made that they'd get through and were laughing at Liverpool's two draws in the group stage saying we couldn't even beat them."

Did you leave out where I said that Sevilla was tough draw? Yes you did.
    You are not even answering the question presented.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is what Titan said;

"A few United fans were saying when the draw was made that they'd get through and were laughing at Liverpool's two draws in the group stage saying we couldn't even beat them."

The post he quoted of yours didn’t even have anything to do with United or Sevilla :pac:

I didn't say that was on here though. I had two mates of mine laughing and joking about the Sevilla draw saying that they should get through no problems.

One of there main points were that Liverpool scored 5 against this lot and that United should also get a few but that they wouldn't concede like Liverpool because United can actually defend.

We’ve established that and I don’t believe you but LL still answered my question to you with a lot of irrelevance.

• The post he quoted of yours didn’t even have anything to do with United or Sevilla :pac:

Just another one of my fans ;)

This is what Titan said;

I think I've been picked up wrong here. I wasn't trying to imply that all United fans thought it was an easy draw and far from it.

Most fans know all games are tricky at this stage of the CL but there will always be a few who think differently. As I said above there were two of my United supporting mates telling me it was an easy draw for them. I also had the sensible lads who were nervous about the game and were very disappointed that United didn't try nick an away goal in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I didn't read his post terribly closely. It is correct to say most Utd fans didn't rate Sevilla as a particularly dangerous threat.
    This is what Titan said;

I'm not answering any questions - just quoting some posts.
    The post he quoted of yours didn’t even have anything to do with United or Sevilla :pac:

No, but it is relevant to certain quarters underestimating Herr Klopp against Porto. Rekop Dog had some strong opinions in the CL thread if I remember correctly also. And it's relevant to this discussion because Liverpool are in Friday's draw whereas Utd are not.
    Just another one of my fans ;)

I think you'd be amazed at how little time I spend thinking about your posts.

I didn't read his post terribly closely. It is correct to say most Utd fans didn't rate Sevilla as a particularly dangerous threat.

I'm not answering any questions - just quoting some posts.

No, but it is relevant to certain quarters underestimating Herr Klopp against Porto. Rekop Dog had some strong opinions in the CL thread if I remember correctly also. And it's relevant to this discussion because Liverpool are in Friday's draw whereas Utd are not.

I think you'd be amazed at how little time I spend thinking about your posts.

It’s not relevant at all to this discussion actually. If you took the time to read the posts instead of puffing out your chest and wading in all “ice up son” you might realise that.

I’d hazard a guess that Mick meant Liverpool were lucky to draw Porto btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Find it ironic then since Liverpool had the easiest group you would think that both teams from said group would have been knocked out in the 1st knock out round :pac:

• Advertisement

Utd would be have beaten Sevilla if Mourinhio had set up differently and gone for it.

I'd agree it's the beginning of the end for him. A lot of ManU fans have had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I fail to see where I said Utd would get through and laughed at Liverpool??

• adox wrote: »
    I fail to see where I said Utd would get through and laughed at Liverpool??

Exactly this

It seems he /she is not following what's going on even though went to the bother of digging through threads and pulling up quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

Thing with Mourinho is that style of play always comes into question when he's not winning games/winning trophies but to be fair to him with the the flack he's getting...Man U are comfortably 2nd in the league and their still in the FA cup. We can say all we want about Liverpool and Spurs playing better football but league table doesn't lie. 100% he has moved the club forward since the unsuccessful stints by David Moyes and Van Gaal. He pretty much has a similar problem when he was managing Real Madrid where the fans found his style of play unacceptable and this was compounded by the fact he wasn't too successful at least for Real Madrid standards. If he finishes 2nd this season and wins FA cup would uited fans be content with that? My guess probably not when you factor the money spent under his management and the wages offered to Sanchez.

He needs to find a way to get the best out of his 2 star players in Pogba and Sanchez (apparently he's on £600k a week!). With Sanchez it's like he thinks he's Messi...he's trying to do too much...too much dribbling and giving the ball away. If he was playing under Pep you would think he would find himself on the bench more often than not if he's not passing and moving. He was far too defensive against Sevilla on Tuesday which I found odd playing at home. Man U's firepower is sensational so there's no excuse.

Exactly this

It seems he /she is not following what's going on even though went to the bother of digging through threads and pulling up quotes

Ice up Mick!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement