Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tour of flanders sportive 2018

Options
  • 13-03-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

This is a long shot but is anybody heading over to take part in the tour of Flanders sportive this year and needs anybody to share car rental etc.
    Failing that if anyone has any tips for where to base myself etc would be much appreciated.

I have an entry for the 170km route which starts and ends in Oudenaarde but haven't sorted accommodation or flights yet.
    Flights from Dublin to Brussels are still reasonable and hiring a car isn't too bad either.
    As you can imagine accommodation in Oudenaarde and or Ghent is almost gone. Would basing myself in Brussels be an option and drive from there to Oudenaarde the morning of the race. Or would another town be an option.

Looking to watch the actual race on the Sunday as well. Is there bus trips that would bring one around to see the race in a few spots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I did the sportive in 2013, stayed in Bruges and took the train to Oudenaarde. If you give yourself enough time, it's not too arduous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Roads leading into Oudenaarde will be busy on the day. they do have lots of car parking available, but its still a bit of a pain.
    We did this sportive in 2015. we stayed in Ghent and we had intended to cycle to the start. (its 30k, but pan flat). We slept in and had to drive and roads were VERY busy.

To watch the race the next day, Check the official website for bus times. They have spectator parks setup and they can only be accessed by bus, so get there early.

Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

There is a bus from Oudenaarde back to Bruges, run by the organisers , but its probably booked up.

Worth trying though.

You could probably get a train with your bike.

Make sure you have tight bottle cages, once you hit the first cobbles bottles start flying everywhere.

I used Pave cages, you can tighten them up.

Don't know how strong you are, but I used a 50-34 chainset - you will need as low a gear as possible for the Koppenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Planning to head over next year. Let us know how you get on abd which distance your doing

Advertisement