Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torque computers

Options
  • 13-03-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an entry-level gaming PC that I can upgrade in the future. I took a look at the builds on PCPartPicker and I was pretty unimpressed by the fact that the builds in my price range (would like to spend around €500, €600 max) don't even include PSUs. At that point I took a look at custompcparts.ie and spotted their Torque prebuilts, in particular this AMD build.

Has anyone any experience of Torque computers? Are they a decent platform for upgrading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A8, no GPU? Not worth a crap, gimme 10 and I'll see what I can get you

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I'm ok going without a GPU for a while. I know that prices are inflated at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm ok going without a GPU for a while. I know that prices are inflated at the moment.

You said you were looking for an entry level gaming PC that is not an entry level gaming PC. An entry level gaming PC has a GPU, you won’t be able to run 90% of games on that.

Fair, found this elsewhere on the forum, done up about 3 weeks ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($168.75 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: SanDisk - Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $514.20
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-13 08:56 EDT-0400

A second hand GTX950/950Ti/1050 wouldn't push you over budget (much) and would have you sorted for a couple years

Really though unless you're playing mainly 2D games you won't get too far without a GPU

The descriptions of the low-end builds on PCPartPicker made out as though some gaming could be done on APUs while waiting for a GPU, so I was basing my opinion on that. I know I won't be playing new AAA games without one.

Thanks for the build, Digital. Curious as to why it shows a compatibility warning about Raven Ridge chips when you've selected a Ryzen though?

• Advertisement

I literally copy pasted that from another thread, I'll look into it

From reading the other thread, an Intel G4560 and a B250 motherboard would work out cheaper than the Ryzen, cover you in single player games and free up more money for a GPU, so might be another option.

I think the incompatibility is from some first gen boards needing BIOS upgrades to support second gen cpus on the same chipset. That's as far as I understand it anyways, not every board will need the upgrade, I'm not sure how to check it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

G4560 + GTX1050 will easily beat the Ryzen 2400G in games by a considerable margin, though a few games that are very CPU heavy will not fare brilliantly on the G4560 - but it's fully upgradable to i5/i7 down the line and 2nd hand prices for S1151 CPU's are continuing to drop sharply.

Forget A8/A10 processors - totally rubbish for games even with a good GPU added. You will get by OK with the integrated GPU of the 2400G for a while, even most AAA titles should run OK at lower settings. That PC in your original link is a joke.

Something like this for €630 is a solid all-rounder entry level gaming PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

A8, no GPU? Not worth a crap, gimme 10 and I'll see what I can get you

You missed the "CustomPC.ie" bit. And the whopping 4GB RAM. And the mystery 500W PSU (and CustomPC just love putting in high-explosive CIT crudboxes...). Seriously, that link is nothing short of nightmare fuel :o

rab!d - Honestly, if you only want to play older or less demanding titles and/or are currently stuck with a 720/768/900p monitor then the 2400G will see you through for a short while until you can drop in a proper GPU. The CPU bit of that APU isn't too shabby for the money and the iGPU is almost a fifth of a real Vega64 :p But your mileage may vary especially if you don't get lots of high-speed low-latency DDR4 for the iGPU to parasitise and only very undemanding games will have any hope of playability even at medium or low settings at 1080p, which really seems to be Vega11's Achilles' Heel.

As for the Intel route above... Going for a half-assed CPU and a half-assed GPU right from the start will likely give much better immediate results simply from having a GPU and is a much better bet if you want to game on a 1080p monitor but you might easily find yourself in the unenviable position of having to upgrade both components not too far down the line, especially if you like CPU-heavy titles. Two CPU cores is finally starting to not-cut-it at this point in time. Going for a decent Intel or AMD quad and a GPU will likely push you clean out of budget unless you can get a good second-hand deal on an old i7 or something.

I still don't know what was going through AMD's head when they brought out this generation of APUs, other than their customary clutching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory thing anyhow >_> Why is Vega11 the best iGPU available in any non-ludicrously-high-end Intel APU? y u do dis AMD? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

G4560 + GTX1050 will easily beat the Ryzen 2400G in games by a considerable margin, though a few games that are very CPU heavy will not fare brilliantly on the G4560 - but it's fully upgradable to i5/i7 down the line and 2nd hand prices for S1151 CPU's are continuing to drop sharply.

Forget A8/A10 processors - totally rubbish for games even with a good GPU added. You will get by OK with the integrated GPU of the 2400G for a while, even most AAA titles should run OK at lower settings. That PC in your original link is a joke.

Something like this for €630 is a solid all-rounder entry level gaming PC.

Anyone know what PSU and Mobo is in this Rig?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

Hi

you should read my thread about this company before buying from them.....if anything goes wrong or doesnt work - they will throw you under the bus.

send me a pm if you want the details

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057829476

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

AVOID Custompcparts company and all the other names it uses like the plague.

Upped my budget a bit and got this:
    JKOTfyAh.jpg
    Runs like a beaut, thanks for the advice! The only problem is I don't know whether I should get a white exhaust fan - to complement the white LEDs in the intakes - or a black one to blend in with the rest of the interior…

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kYjpBb
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kYjpBb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£137.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
    Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste (£4.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£65.99 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£109.34 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.06 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.95 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card (£162.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£38.99 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £678.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-23 01:11 BST+0100

(Luckily managed to get the RAM and graphics card for cheaper than those prices!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's a super solid build! Enjoy it :D Eventually you might want to upgrade the GPU to something like a 1060 (or equiv in whatever the next generation brings) but the 1050ti will do you for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I hope you didn't get charged for a TXM Gold, cos that's clearly a CXM ;)

Well spotted! Getting a CX550M was what I intended. I don't know how the TXM slipped into the PCPP list - I wasn't using a filter for that component.

Advertisement