Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esta waiver expires whilst in the US

Options
  • 13-03-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

i want to make sure 100% that im ok

my esta expires 3 days after i travel to the US.

Do this make any difference to the travel arrangements? , i.e does the esta only need to be valid on the day you travel or for the duration of your time in the US?

They is no way to renew it early..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

If it expires 3 days after you return then it doesn't expire whilst in the US?

Entry is only permitted for 90 days max or up to the expiry of your passport or expiry of your esta.

You can renew your esta when ever you like. You do not have to wait for it to expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

I said it expires 3 days after i travel, so i'll be in the US whilst my esta lapses

are you sure you can renew your esta before it lapses?

There is no place i can see that can be done on the https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

You don’t renew an Esta, you apply for a new one.

From the FAQs on the website

HOW DO I RENEW MY ESTA?

If your ESTA has expired, you must reapply by submitting a new application at esta.cbp.dhs.gov. Existing authorizations cannot be extended.

You do not need to wait until your ESTA expires to reapply. You may do so at any time. Should you receive the message "A valid, approved application with more than 30 days remaining has been found for this passport. Submitting this application will require payment for this application and will then cancel the existing application." you will simply continue to begin your new application. Your prior ESTA will be canceled and replaced with your new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

And also from the FAQs

DO I NEED TO APPLY FOR A NEW ESTA IF MY CURRENT TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION WILL EXPIRE WHILE I'M IN THE UNITED STATES?

No. ESTA travel authorization needs only to be valid upon arrival in the United States

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

lynchie wrote: »
    Entry is only permitted for 90 days max or up to the expiry of your passport or expiry of your esta.

Might be an idea to edit this response as it's completely wrong, even if you made it sound official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

For Irish passport holders there is no six months rule, passport just needs to be valid for the duration of the trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

For Irish passport holders there is no six months rule, passport just needs to be valid for the duration of the trip

oh, you must be talking about an irish passport :D edited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Tenigate wrote: »
    oh, you must be talking about an irish passport :D edited

And many other nationalities :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Ok ive found out. ESTA only needs to be current on the day you enter the country..

Advertisement