Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken has no taste

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL have this offer on corn fed chicken but it ends 14th March...
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=7658

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rosmoke wrote: »
    Check this out, my mother in law comes over, prepares a soup and a couple of other meals and says it from the 1st bite she has:
    "what's wrong with the chicken? It's tasteless"

Then my mother, comes over just a week ago and same, she cooks something and then says the same thing "this chicken doesn't have any taste at all!"

I don't think it's a coincidence as I noticed it too, and I'm not picky at all, I'd eat anything.
    Different cultures , different tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I’ve been growing carrots the last couple of years. The first time you pull one, you think ‘Oh yeah, that’s what carrots used to smell like’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What could possibly make chicken in Ireland different? It’s not even probably Irish chicken.

What matters with chicken is the cooking. It can be dry if cooked incorrectly.

Actually they are proudly labelled IRISH CHICKEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I’ve been growing carrots the last couple of years. The first time you pull one, you think ‘Oh yeah, that’s what carrots used to smell like’.

Agree totally. NB they are better if you take them out of the plastic bag as soon as you get home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's more down to freshness than anything I'd imagine. If you smelled a commercially grown carrot fresh out of the ground it'd probably be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yes sourcing a good chicken with taste can be hard,i like to roast them in a halo oven and very juicy and no need to season it for my taste. 20 years ago my mother often bought a boiler and not seen them for a while as they were great for salads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I bought a small organic turkey in Marks at christmas, it was reduced form sixty euros to ten euros.

I thought it would taste amazing but really there wasnt much difference to the free range turkey I usually buy.

The gravy from the organic turkey was absolutely gorgeous though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder how much they are paying at home, are they comparing like with like.

It's about 2.2€/kg for a whole chicken, 550€ avg wage (month) after tax, cost of living is very low, used to pay 60€ a year for car insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In butchers in France, they leave the head on, with feathers, so you can identify the breed. These chickens are very tasty and very expensive.
    Cheap chickens from the supermarket taste much the same as cheap chickens from the supermarket, here.

OP, I suspect that your in-laws are not comparing like with like as I guess most countries have better access to quality, expensive chicken than Ireland.

I buy chicken thighs from O'Sullivan's in The English Market, Cork.
    They are not free range or organic but they are Irish, GMO & Antibiotic free and very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

With this thread in mind I cooked chicken breasts on the bone for dinner tonight. They were just ordinary ones, from Dublin Meat company. As usual I put olive oil, lemon zest & juice and crushed garlic on them. They were delicious, really moist and tender and the meat itself tasted really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,747 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have pretty much stopped buying breasts. I mostly buy thighs, take out the bone (and the bit of cartilage at the end :) ) cut off some of the spare skin underneath and roast on some veggies with a little bit of stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Any chicken meat cooked off the bone, e.g. breast, is going to taste bland.
    Whole roasted chicken meat will always have much more flavour.

Advertisement