Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 emails to rent a small 1 bed in Dublin.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

So to bring it to market value You can do some work on it. The only way the RTB will come after you is if the new tenants as for past rent amount and report it. I did not want to risk it myself as I am renting below market but by €300 a month and I will bring it up inline with allowed amount until it hit's market value.

You could also sell and buy another with the rent up at market valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ELM327 wrote: »
    Sorry, you had not mentioned you were in an RPZ.
    OP mentioned their apartment is in Dublin. Isn't the whole of Dublin a RPZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd rather rent to some one i know. Could you offer a family and friends discount? business do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd rather rent to some one i know. Could you offer a family and friends discount? business do it all the time.
    LL is stuck then, with the discounted rate being the base rate against which future increases can be calculated. Plus, if they declare one amount as the ‘official’ rent, but collect a lower sum, they’ll still be paying tax at the marginal rate on the official figure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭TanyGray

gar32 wrote: »
    So to bring it to market value You can do some work on it. The only way the RTB will come after you is if the new tenants as for past rent amount and report it. I did not want to risk it myself as I am renting below market but by €300 a month and I will bring it up inline with allowed amount until it hit's market value.

Thats another risk as far as im concerned. Anything where the decision is out in some random RTB employees hands is a huge risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Tax the bollox off landlords - act all shocked when they sell up to vulture funds.
    Foster a punitive anti-landlord climate in the courts - act all shocked when landlords try to limit people entering part-4.
    Demand that all new buildings are Class A energy efficient - act shocked when there are no budget homes for poor people in prime areas.
    Bitch and whinge about Dublins "beautifull" skyline and limit upwards expansion - act shocked when price rises ripple out into the countryside faster than Usain Bolt.

The people, and the politicians they elected to represent them have entirely created the current situation. Welcome to the world you wanted.

Spot on sadly. I'm not a landlord but agree on the above. It's a bit like at the end of planet of the apes and he realises it was us all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I had a 2 bed to let recently, got easily over 250 calls. The hardest ones were the single mothers crying down the phone, or representatives from housing agencies pleading on behalf of marginalised families living in hotels who can't find accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

500 emails suggests your idea of the current market rate is wrong. If you want to test the hypothesis-put it back up at +600 and I guarantee you you'll still get 100 emails+.

AmberGold wrote: »
    I had a 2 bed to let recently, got easily over 250 calls. The hardest ones were the single mothers crying down the phone, or representatives from housing agencies pleading on behalf of marginalised families living in hotels who can't find accommodation.

I fully understand people are experiencing serious difficulties due to the nature of the market rather than their own fault, and I am certainly not judging anyone. But I am not sure sounding desperate on the phone is helping their cause. Unless a landlord decides they want to show some charity and not fully treat their rental property as a business, someone who sounds confident is probably more attractive to them as a prospective tenant.

You put your phone number in the ad?? I'd never do that. Far too time consuming. Much easier to filter by email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hope you have a number for a sim you can throw away, as otherwise they'll be ringing you for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I just used emails and no phone number. That is madness.

So I have 20 viewing planned and I hope to house 2 people over one. I feel that a small thing I can do to help the housing problem. I am sure that their are many old couples living in big 4 or 5 bedroom's house which they don't need. A good tax intensive to down size from FG / FF so younger families can buy. It would increase the number of houses to buy and may have some effect on prices but I would think not much.

I just A good tax intensive to down size from FG / FF so younger families can buy.

This one reason why many countries have much higher property tax than we do here. It helps make the market more fluid and to optimise the use of available resources in the country. In the long term it benefits everyone as the resulting prices moderation are likely to save FTBs as much on their mortgage as they would be in LPT over their whole life.

You can’t have a Big Bang approach though as people who purchased recently will rightly feel it is unfair towards them. I would be in favour of a clear pre-defined schedule to gradually triple the tax over the next 10 years, and also not only index it to the property value but also on the size of the property.

I usually create an anonymous gmail account and forward mail to my real account. You can even filter out by keyword if required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭TanyGray

murphaph wrote: »
    I usually create an anonymous gmail account and forward mail to my real account. You can even filter out by keyword if required.

Im still getting calls and I'm not even renting the place. I'm putting it on airbnb.
    I think the last tenant have my number to anyone they know who might be looking to rent and they are ringing me day in day out.
    I wish I had done email only the last time I rented now. I even got two calls from charities on behalf of people. I told them they are welcome to rent as a company and can then sublet to whoever they like, but it's me and the charity who the deal is between. They wouldn't go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

TanyGray wrote: »
    murphaph wrote: »

Im still getting calls and I'm not even renting the place. I'm putting it on airbnb.
    I think the last tenant have my number to anyone they know who might be looking to rent and they are ringing me day in day out.
    I wish I had done email only the last time I rented now. I even got two calls from charities on behalf of people. I told them they are welcome to rent as a company and can then sublet to whoever they like, but it's me and the charity who the deal is between. They wouldn't go for that.

They dont want to risk of problem tenants. Easier to pass that onto te private landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I had someone look to rent from me before. They were on social welfare. Didnt even have the deposit. I actually worked with them see if they could get it. Nothing happened. Even had the local people before profit counciler call me to give a character reference. The point of the story is social welfare tenants dont care how much the property rental is they will always apply. So a house normally renting for 2k you could ask 3k and welfare tenants will still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

So I have 20 viewing planned and I hope to house 2 people over one. I feel that a small thing I can do to help the housing problem. I am sure that their are many old couples living in big 4 or 5 bedroom's house which they don't need. A good tax intensive to down size from FG / FF so younger families can buy. It would increase the number of houses to buy and may have some effect on prices but I would think not much.
    Like what, the existing PPR relief, the existing age tax credit? Effectively you'd be giving a further tax benefit to people that arguably dont need it as they are exceptionally wealthy to start with. Would be a better use of tax payer funds to actually build some extra supply - won't hold our breath on that one...

A Tax "stick" would be more effective but political suicide so never going to happen in a million months of Sundays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The practicalities of downsizing are too much for many elderly people. The legal system, the need for cash up front for deposits, the limbo waiting for contracts to be signed mean that many do not want to contemplate it. tax incentives are a nonsense response. It would need a government agency who would organise the practical side of things. there was a scheme a few years ago where houses were split in 2. Each half was given to a downsizer who then sold their own house and paid have of the cost of the split house. That kept people in their own areas and provided one additional family house in the area without using any additional land or services.

Advertisement