Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever bought anything from The On?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Never heard of it before. €39 for a cap never mind anything else - wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

The weather jacket looks the business but 240 quid. I've seen the runners advertised around but never heard anyone say if theyre any good. The sole looks a bit like the soles on the old Sketchers yet they claim to be a running site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

They've been heavily marketed to triathletes and are actually very popular amongst them. I've a pair of their racing shoes, pretty sure they were called Cloudraces. I don't see them in the link you provided, but I guess the Cloudflash is the latest incarnation. I bought my current pair in 2015. They're not very durable and I only ever wear them for racing. I think they're the business and I'll keep using them until they fall apart. My current pair replaced a pair I bought only a year and a half beforehand, but they got a lot more wear in that time than the new pair I have over three years. The cushioning is fairly minimal, but I've worn them in marathons and Ironman marathons without issue. Still though, even if was given a new pair every week, I wouldn't do all my training in them.

So impressed was I with their racing shoe, I also tried a pair of their sturdier training shoes. I'm not sure what the model was, but I didn't like them. Although I know some people who did. For me, the extra large lugs on the soles made contact with the ground feel very strange. I couldn't get used to this sensation and and the runners quickly became something I only wore casually.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Just purchased a pair of Cloud Flyers off their website,its the stability version in their range.....
    I got to do a four mile run in a pair of Cloud Flows at a try on night in the RunHub and really liked them!! But the CloudFlow is a neutral shoe so going with the Flyer....
    I see they are having another try on night next Wednesday night along with a CEP promotion too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 darcygirl

I recently bought a pair of On Cloudflow. Very happy with them so far. Only down side is they tend to pick up more muck etc than other runners so I seem to spend my time cleaning them!

• Advertisement

Just got my CloudFlyers... delighted with the fit and feel,cant wait to go for a run later in them...
    Will post back to let ye know how the run goes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I notice they do support trail runners :D if they are any good I would get them! I need support and it is so hard to find a trail runner with it 169 pricey so they would want to be good and wear well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Baby75 wrote: »
    I notice they do support trail runners :D if they are any good I would get them! I need support and it is so hard to find a trail runner with it 169 pricey so they would want to be good and wear well

Whether they're any good or not, I wouldn't wear a pair of ONs if running trails, twigs and stones will get stuck in the lugs and you'll find yourself having to stop every so often to pick them out.

zico10 wrote: »
    Whether they're any good or not, I wouldn't wear a pair of ONs if running trails, twigs and stones will get stuck in the lugs and you'll find yourself having to stop every so often to pick them out.

Thanks Zico I will keep looking :D because yes that would drive me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You generally don't need support for trails, each footfall will be landing at a different angles and the ground has more give anyway.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    You generally don't need support for trails, each footfall will be landing at a different angles and the ground has more give anyway.

Thanks, Hurrache!

So I have been running in the Cloudflyer now for a while, on my second pair now....
    Had to introduce them gradually into my training because the 7mm drop was causing me some discomfort. I have problems with my peronials in my right leg, but the shoe has actualy helped with my problem as the she lets your foot splay and lets your lower leg muscles work more naturally.
    When I wear a conventional shoe my foot feels encased, so ive been wering the Flyers more and more....
    Doing all my track sessions in them and my last couple of races and find them very responsive but still get a nice heel to midfoot cushion...

I got some of their apparel and even do pricey its class, gona get the jacket for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

Love the On stuff. Its so lovely to run in. Moves very well through the foot strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

So I have been running in the Cloudflyer now for a while, on my second pair now....
    Had to introduce them gradually into my training because the 7mm drop was causing me some discomfort. I have problems with my peronials in my right leg, but the shoe has actualy helped with my problem as the she lets your foot splay and lets your lower leg muscles work more naturally.
    When I wear a conventional shoe my foot feels encased, so ive been wering the Flyers more and more....
    Doing all my track sessions in them and my last couple of races and find them very responsive but still get a nice heel to midfoot cushion...

I got some of their apparel and even do pricey its class, gona get the jacket for Xmas

I bought this jacket, it looks very nice and is extremely light with a great hood but there is no protection from the cold in it.
    I have a few Nike running jackets that are much more efficient though not very rain proof.
    I don't think Id buy this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

M.m.m. wrote: »
    I bought this jacket, it looks very nice and is extremely light with a great hood but there is no protection from the cold in it.
    I have a few Nike running jackets that are much more efficient though not very rain proof.
    I don't think Id buy this again.

I've never tried this, or any of the rest of their gear, but a ~172g ultralight wind & rain resistant jacket will never offer much in the way of warmth. You need to layer insulation underneath it for that.

lgk wrote: »
    I've never tried this, or any of the rest of their gear, but a ~172g ultralight wind & rain resistant jacket will never offer much in the way of warmth. You need to layer insulation underneath it for that.

Have you actually viewed the product on their site and the statement they make about protecting you from the elements due to the material the jacket is made from?
    Part of the reason they charge the price for the jacket.

I was just trying to help out the OP before he buys the jacket.
    He hasn't even thanked my post.

That's gratitude though!

Thanks your smart arsed post instead. Bet he will buy the jacket anyway.

Good luck to him. I hope he puts a big gaping hole in it and doesn't get a refund.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/products/weather-jacket-navy-shadow-m

''Weatherproof

Stay warm and dry in On’s weatherproof running gear. It is crafted from premium materials and applies function where you need it. Bonded where needed, protective fabrics blend with ventilation. This means the right balance between protection, breathability and freedom of movement.''

Have you actually viewed the product on their site and the statement they make about protecting you from the elements due to the material the jacket is made from?
    Part of the reason they charge the price for the jacket.

I have read it all yes, and looked up reviews on a couple of sites that give pretty good reviews of running gear. The reviews are generally very positive in terms of its performance in the category, albeit at a price.

I have other ultralight jackets, but I understand the basic laws of physics enough to know that an ultralight membrane can never offer much if anything in the way of insulation properties. They do however protect you from the elements as advertised, those being wind and rain. It is the wind protection that offers temperature regulation in that it helps prevent heat loss due to wind chill, but with all ultralight shells, you need to layer appropriately underneath.

I was just trying to help out the OP before he buys the jacket.
    He hasn't even thanked my post.

That's gratitude though!

Thanks your smart arsed post instead. Bet he will buy the jacket anyway.
    Good luck to him. I hope he puts a big gaping hole in it and doesn't get a refund.

Wow! Bitter much?

I have read it all yes, and looked up reviews on a couple of sites that give pretty good reviews of running gear. The reviews are generally very positive in terms of its performance in the category, albeit at a price.

I have other ultralight jackets, but I understand the basic laws of physics enough to know that an ultralight membrane can never offer much if anything in the way of insulation properties. They do however protect you from the elements as advertised, those being wind and rain. It is the wind protection that offers temperature regulation in that it helps prevent heat loss due to wind chill, but with all ultralight shells, you need to layer appropriately underneath.

Wow! Bitter much?

Ah go and get a sense of humour and if that fails then go and ask On for a job. You can tell them how to design the jacket

Ah go and get a sense of humour and if that fails then go and ask On for a job. You can tell them how to design the jacket

That's actually a great idea, I could ask them to make the jacket magic and somehow generate heat harnessing the power of dreams and wishful thinking!

That's actually a great idea, I could ask them to make the jacket magic and somehow generate heat harnessing the power of dreams and wishful thinking!

Well that should keep you busy for a while:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement