Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Renting Rooms

Options
  • 13-03-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a house that I'm currently getting ready to live in and I'm hoping to rent a room as owner/occupier. Given my location I will only be renting to a Garda student, no college students.

I know the limit for non-taxable income (rent, money towards bills etc.) is €14,000 per year. I won't be making anywhere near this but I do have a few questions for those here in the know.

1. Contract/no contract?

2. Does this person have use of my sitting room and TV?

3. Apart from a mattress and bed base, what else am I obliged to provide?

4. How does one go about splitting bills? Is it as easy as it sounds i.e. 50/50 or would you need to base it on how much time is spent by each person in the house? The house had PrePayPower already installed so I renewed the contract for a year so that won't be too bad I hope.

That's all I can think of for the moment but I'm sure more will come into my head.

In relation to question 2 - A friend of mine rented a room in Cork and had his own TV in his room and never used the owner's sitting room. Just wondering if this is the usual or does it depend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The person will be a licensee in the house. If it is a trainee garda, the rent may be paid by someone other than the trainee garda themselves and they may have conditions. there is no obligation to supply anything or allow use of the sitting room. It all depends on what the market demands. If you say no sitting room, you might find it difficult to let. Equally there may be resentment from the lodger if they are confined to a bedroom, which makes for a toxic atmosphere in the house. Most people find it helpful to write down the terms and have it signed, for the purpose of avoiding misunderstandings. Some people will agree to anything to get in and then promptly ignore anything which doesn't suit them. It is far easier to confront them with a document they signed and say no smoking means no smoking etc. Bills are agreed as a fair proportion of expected use. 50/50 is easiest and simplest. If someone argues they are out all day and away at the weekends and never turn on the lights, keep nothing in the fridge, don't cook and bring their washing home at the weekends, just tell them to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1. Contract/no contract?
    No contract; you don't want to give them more rights than they have (which is fcuk all). Maybe term what they're signing an agreement? Others may be able to verify what they've called this.
    Really up to yourself. But bare in mind it's your house, and you don't want to be living in your own room because they take over your TV every day. Are you a passive person? Do you feel that you'd be able to tell the person if they're taking the piss if they have the remote all the time?
    Provide a desk that they can put a TV or laptop on top of. It gives them the option of staying in their room.
    4. How does one go about splitting bills? Is it as easy as it sounds i.e. 50/50 or would you need to base it on how much time is spent by each person in the house? The house had PrePayPower already installed so I renewed the contract for a year so that won't be too bad I hope.
    Who is PrePayPower with? The cost can sometimes be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Put a TV and Sky/whatever in the room and have the rule that you pick what's on in the livingroom; works for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

the_syco wrote: »
    No contract; you don't want to give them more rights than they have (which is fcuk all). Maybe term what they're signing an agreement? Others may be able to verify what they've called this.

Really up to yourself. But bare in mind it's your house, and you don't want to be living in your own room because they take over your TV every day. Are you a passive person? Do you feel that you'd be able to tell the person if they're taking the piss if they have the remote all the time?

Provide a desk that they can put a TV or laptop on top of. It gives them the option of staying in their room.

Who is PrePayPower with? The cost can sometimes be high.

If someone was taking the piss I would have no problem letting them know. If they ask why, I'll show them who's name is on the mortgage :D

Prepaypower.ie. I know the unit rate can be higher but I'd rather have the facility there to do it that way and get used to my usage rather than having a surprise bill in the door every 2 months.
    Put a TV and Sky/whatever in the room and have the rule that you pick what's on in the livingroom; works for us.

I won't be getting Sky in the house. Saorview and my Android box is what I have.

If all goes to plan, my tenants will only be there 12 weeks at a time so getting Sky in would be a waste of time and money if that's what they wanted to do but I certainly won't be getting Sky myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

the_syco wrote: »

That is a contract. A contract is in fact a metaphysical object. When the terms are reduced to writing it is often called a memorandum of agreement. It is sometimes called an agreement for a right to reside at ??? address. If lodgers are only there for 12 weeks, the thing to do would be to take money weekly, have a kitty separate from the rent and pay the bills from the kitty as well as other outlays such as washing up liquid, soap in bathrooms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're going to have people who are only there for 12 weeks, and who will be studying during that time.

In this case, I'd say it's totally unreasonable to expect them to provide their own desk, chair, mirror, reading lamp, heater, wastebin, .. even their own duvet.

Forget "obligations".

Kit the room like a modest BnB. Yes, for a 12 week tenant, provide everything including sheets.

Either give them a TV in their room, or share the sitting room with them (Personally I think not giving them access sounds very petty, but I know some people do it that way.)

Make the rent inclusive of bills. If they're only there for 12 weeks, that's only 2 or 3 billing cycles: if you try to do a %-age split, you'll be forever chasing because of the difference between actual and estimates or somesuch.

Among other reasons for this way of thinking: it's baby cops you'll be letting to. You don't want to come to a traffic stop in a few years time, and meet one of them who's p*ssed that he ended up in the Traffic Corps 'cos he got sick while he was at the garda college, because he lived with a mean boll*x who didn't even provide a heater he could control in the bedroom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't always agree with everything Mrs OBumble posts- but I'd have to say she is spot on with her post here. Its a 12 week stint for someone who is probably away from home for the first time. I'd suggest you try and be as accommodating as possible.

The joker in all of this- is your pre-pay power meter?
    Why- as an owner occupier would you go with this option?
    It makes no sense whatsoever- its probably among the most expensive possible way to buy electricity (particularly when you factor in the daily standing charge- though the unit rate is also nutty). If you're within your 14 day cooling off period- I'd strongly advise you have a look at www.bonkers.ie and get an idea of a better option. Its almost impossible for you not to save a couple of hundred quid over and above what Prepaypower will charge you.

And people think the motors forum is bad :rolleyes:

I came here to ask a few simple questions and I'm being made to feel like the bad guy.

Thanks folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I came here to ask a few simple questions and I'm being made to feel like the bad guy.

Thanks folks.

By now the penny should be dropping. Landlords are always the bad guy. Develop a thick skin before becoming one. You will be the object of great begrudgery, ridicule, hate and contempt.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    By now the penny should be dropping. Landlords are always the bad guy. Develop a thick skin before becoming one. You will be the object of great begrudgery, ridicule, hate and contempt.

:pac:
    Once upon a time- being a landlord or letting a room etc- was a good way to make some money- while doing good- and you had reasonable rights as the owner of the property. Now- it simply doesn't matter that you're the owner- once someone moves in- it becomes their 'home' and their rights to a home trumps any ownership rights you have.

At some stage- someone will bring a case testing property rights- I suspect it'll be one of the REITs- or someone with sufficient motivation and funds to pursue it for all its worth. Until then- its a continuation of dilution of property rights- and additional rights for tenants- regardless of whether, or not, they pay their rent (which now appears to be optional). The cases at the RTB tell a very sorry story- the highest number of cases relate to tenants overholding in properties when given compliant notices to end the tenancy- the next largest category are tenants who have just given up on paying their rent.

While this thread is a little different- in that the OP is an owner-occupier- and is going to be letting a room under the rent-a-room scheme- there are an entirely different set of rules that he is going to have dictated to him by An Garda Síochána- who will also do their utmost to try and minimise the costs for recruits- its by no means a money spinner for the OP. I would suggest talking to some others who are engaged in what the OP is doing- in the Templemore area- get a feel for what it entails- and how its dealt with by AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

I rented out rooms in my house for years and it's not as bad as it sounds. The big difference between your standard landlord tenant is that you are living in the house yourself and that means normal law governing tenants does not apply. Remember you hold all the power and rights in owner occupied situation.

I do feel up front conversation about bills is fair. I used not split 50/50, I always looked for a contribution since they often were not there at weekends, while I was. I also tried to build a basic rapport with them, they are a guest in your home and as such I worked it that way, so sitting room kitchen bathroom etc was all shared appropriately. Cleaning we did together. Or I had a professional if tenants would contribute to it. I always took a deposit and refunded it at end. Sometimes there were delays in rent bills etc, but always I found talking to them resolved it with a week.

I had 12 different people over 8 years. Made good friends out of most and the one problem /mistake I let in, I kicked out after 6 weeks.

I would apply common sense to how that person might like to be treated, they are not there to be milked. Take a deposit and remember you have all the rights as an owner occupier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks folks.

TBH the way you come across isn't helping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I know the limit for non-taxable income (rent, money towards bills etc.) is €14,000 per year. I won't be making anywhere near this but I do have a few questions for those here in the know.

You're right you won't it's a set amount. Less than a 100 euro a week. They are basically a guest with little to no rights.

You will be renting to a Garda student by your own admission. You will be paid a set rent by the Garda college the student will not be liable to pay you towards electricity. How do I know? Because my son is a Gaurd who recently passed out of Templemore. You come across as someone who wishes to make as much as possible by giving as little as possible to the person who is under your roof. Word of advice 'respect' any complaints and you won't have students next time.

Well sorry if I'm coming across as giving them as little as possible but I have fvck all money to be spending on heaters (terrible idea) etc. This is my first house and all my savings went towards my deposit, solicitor fees and stamp duty.

I still don't get what the animosity is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well sorry if I'm coming across as giving them as little as possible but I have fvck all money to be spending on heaters (terrible idea) etc. This is my first house and all my savings went towards my deposit, solicitor fees and stamp duty.

I still don't get what the animosity is about.
    Standard Irish begrudgery towards landlords IMO. Par for the course really.
    You'll get one or two sensible people but the vast majority are tenant rights extremists. I've been a landlord (indirectly through a syndicate, I had little to do with the day to day operations) and a tenant for 10 years in houseshares, and on my own and with partners. And I'm about to be a private homeowner, buying my first house. So I've seen all sides of the coin.

Renting property is a business, for the renter and the rentee. Treat it like such and you'll go far. You're not looking for friends, you're looking to make a profit. Best of luck with it, ignore the begrudgery. :)

No animosity here but you seem clueless as to what you are expected to provide, like did you even read your opening post. Base and a mattress.
    As for renting to a Garda student your contract is with the college not the student and the accommodation will be inspected plus the rent you receive is all you will get. Also the student ( or college for that matter) is not liable for any bills. So you need to reassess you electricity supply as this could end up costing you a damn sight more than a standard bill.
    Good luck sounds like you will need it.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    No animosity here but you seem clueless as to what you are expected to provide, like did you even read your opening post. Base and a mattress.
    As for renting to a Garda student your contract is with the college not the student and the accommodation will be inspected plus the rent you receive is all you will get. Also the student ( or college for that matter) is not liable for any bills. So you need to reassess you electricity supply as this could end up costing you a damn sight more than a standard bill.
    Good luck sounds like you will need it.

Clueless...yes because I’ve never done this before. Asking questions here because of that fact but all I’m seeing is snide, bordering on nasty comments from the likes of you.

Clueless...yes because I’ve never done this before. Asking questions here because of that fact but all I’m seeing is snide, bordering on nasty comments from the likes of you.

I have told you what you can expect when renting to a Garda student as my son was in the situation you are hoping to enter. The rent paid was less than 90 euro. He or the college was not liable for any other bills. He was only in the accommodation on a 5 day basis. Your opening comment tbh set the tone which you are continuing with now. If you think renting to a Garda student will turn you a profit prepare to be very disappointed. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I think people are bung very reasonable towards you. You asked if you could day no to your tenant using the sitting room and then asked was 50/50 acceptable to ask towards bills. Your friend may have stayed in their room but I rented rooms in houses for years and never was that a rule. To be honest I wouldn't move into such an unaccomodating home. I did spend most of my time in the room but that choice was mine. The Sky suggestion was to encourage pp to stay in their room. To the person suggesting that someone who is only staying 12 weeks should buy their own desk is ridiculous. Who would do that for 12 weeks and then the next person buy another desk. If you don't provide a desk (and it's not necessary to do so) your tenant may use the table in the kitchen/sitting room. It's not a simple way to make money. But you can make it easier. I agree with including bills in the rent if ppl only staying 12 weeks.

• Advertisement

Terri26 wrote:
    But you can make it easier. I agree with including bills in the rent if ppl only staying 12 weeks.

They are hoping to rent to a Garda student, the college pays a set rent. There is no option to include bills. The rent paid by the college is not negotiable.

They are hoping to rent to a Garda student, the college pays a set rent. There is no option to include bills. The rent paid by the college is not negotiable.

Well it must be paid at a rate that is at or above market rate for a room in the area and enough to cover average bills as otherwise why would anyone rent a room to them.

By the sounds of things op it might be better to find working professionals in the area looking for a room.

Any house shared situation should be 50/50 bills unless you are doing a mon-fri let. I have shared with people in the past who would only stay in the house once or twice a week, never watch the tv etc but still contributed their full share to all bills incl sky as it was their choice not to be in the house.

Contract: I would be slow to put anything in writing or having anything signed as it only appears to give the person more rights than they have. List a set of house rules, laminate and stick on the fridge or whatever that's as far as I'd go.

If you had a second sitting room living room then I would very much encourage telling room renters that one is for you only and they can use the second, if it's only one living room it's probably going to be a hard sell to disallow their access, renting rooms will be a compromise and that will likely have to be one. Stick a cheap desk and chair in the room and that should hopefully encourage them to spend a lot of their time there.

Some people in here have strange views with some of the comments, the op is obviously doing it to help cover his mortgage and his aim should be to do as well out of it as possible with the least hassle, he isn't doing to as a charity.

Well it must be paid at a rate that is at or above market rate for a room in the area and enough to cover average bills as otherwise why would anyone rent a room to them.

It's under 90 a week can't remember the exact figure, might ask my son. They have no problem securing places, so rents are probably low enough in the area. I doubt a professional would be happy with what the OP is hoping to offer.

It's under 90 a week can't remember the exact figure, might ask my son. They have no problem securing places, so rents are probably low enough in the area. I doubt a professional would be happy with what the OP is hoping to offer.

Aside from the question he asked about sharing the sitting room (which is a fair question for someone who hasn't rented a room before especially as you do hear of it happening) it sounds exactly like any houseshare I've lived in, most of which were not owner occupied and most of my housemates were professionals.

Also at 90 a week that's close to 400 a month, take two students that's almost 800 a month which would be close to covering a mortgage for people in many parts of the country so not sure how you think the op won't turn a profit. It's tax free too remember.

Aside from the question he asked about sharing the sitting room (which is a fair question for someone who hasn't rented a room before especially as you do hear of it happening) it sounds exactly like any houseshare I've lived in, most of which were not owner occupied.

He is seeking to rent to a specific type of person Garda student and seems to have done zero research. He hopes to be able to share bills. Doesn't happen, the rental is like old fashioned digs without the food and for only 5 days. Plus if what I have heard is true the rental to Garda students will not be indefinite. So the OP may be better off seeking a standard house share.

He is seeking to rent to a specific type of person Garda student and seems to have done zero research. He hopes to be able to share bills. Doesn't happen, the rental is like old fashioned digs without the food and for only 5 days. Plus if what I have heard is true the rental to Garda students will not be indefinite. So the OP may be better off seeking a standard house share.

Well it's a very strange situation where a student isn't covering their own rent and bills, almost a unique situation I would say so it's hardly a major error bing made I would guess the vast majority of people would have assumed that's how it works.

Well it's a very strange situation where a student isn't covering their own rent and bills, almost a unique situation I would say so it's hardly a major error bing made I would guess the vast majority of people would have assumed that's how it works.

It is unique- both in the context of students- but also in the public sector (students in other sectors do not have similar breaks afforded to them). Gardaí also get rent and uniform allowances- and correct me if I'm wrong- a Dublin allowance- for those who serve in the Pale.

Gardaí and Garda students- are exceptional- and regular rules for rent-a-room etc- do not apply.

What's strange? They are trainee Garda and move out of college accommodation after 24 weeks to make way for the new intake. The Garda college pays rent on their behalf for the final 12 weeks. The student is not liable for any costs associated with accommodating them and the college only pays a set rent. No electricity bills/heat/sky etc. Perspective landlords have a choice they are not forced to rent to Garda students.

What's strange? They are trainee Garda and move out of college accommodation after 24 weeks to make way for the new intake. The Garda college pays rent on their behalf for the final 12 weeks. The student is not liable for any costs associated with accommodating them and the college only pays a set rent. No electricity bills/heat/sky etc. Perspective landlords have a choice they are not forced to rent to Garda students.

It's very strange because any other student in the country, be they university, IT, nurses on placement etc pay for their own accommodation and associated bills (be it themselves or their parents).

• Advertisement

It's very strange because any other student in the country, be they university, IT, nurses on placement etc pay for their own accommodation and associated bills (be it themselves or their parents).

They are not traditional students in the true sense of the word.
    Anyway whether the OP likes what I say or not is irrelevant although a bit of research or perhaps talking to a neighbour that rents to the college would have informed him of everything I have said. That's the situation regards trainee Garda in Templemore. Set rent, over 5 days and no utility bills. That's it I'm out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement