Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARDS scam?

• 13-03-2018 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

A few months ago we had a transaction on our account for c. €40 for ARDS Baltinglass. That was the payee. Today, another one for ARDS Macroom. Macroom would be our local town but we can't figure out what it is.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A few months ago we had a transaction on our account for c. €40 for ARDS Baltinglass. That was the payee. Today, another one for ARDS Macroom. Macroom would be our local town but we can't figure out what it is.

Anyone any ideas?

Was it a direct debit or standing order payment?

Can your bank give your information on how they are debiting. They debit must have been set up at some point. They can't "just take it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone any ideas?

Google tells me it's Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. You been feeling a bit wheezy lately?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

An atm in macroom? Or baltinglass?

How much was withdrawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

The latest one was a debit card transaction for €40.30. On Sunday. Neither of us used our cards (it's a joint account) on Sunday. I can't pull the statement from a few months ago but neither of us were anywhere near Leinster, never mind Baltinglass at the time. As I remember there was one transaction for c. €40 and another for 10 or 11 euro. We queried them with the bank at the time but heard nothing back and seems we just forgot about it til now. I'm really flummoxed.

The latest one was a debit card transaction for €40.30. On Sunday. Neither of us used our cards (it's a joint account) on Sunday. I can't pull the statement from a few months ago but neither of us were anywhere near Leinster, never mind Baltinglass at the time. As I remember there was one transaction for c. €40 and another for 10 or 11 euro. We queried them with the bank at the time but heard nothing back and seems we just forgot about it til now. I'm really flummoxed.

Well €40.30 means you had to key in your pin so it had to be one of you tbh...

Check with the bank for the exact dy the transaction took place e.g. it was done on Thursday hit your account on Sunday

A petrol station?
    A spar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a petrol station or shop, the dates won't be exactly when the cards were used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The date the transaction hits your account may not be the day the tx happened. Happens to my account all the time. I think I have healthy balance then get refused at atm due to "insufficient funds" and when I check online I see a tx from a few days ago has just hit my ac.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Sounds like a petrol station or shop, the dates won't be exactly when the cards were used.

This ^^^

Also, the Baltinglass address could be the parent companies address, rather than the place you actually used the card. Most banks have a 24 hour help line for customer queries. Try ringing them (bare in mind you could be on hold for a while though).

Another thing, if you access your statement online, hover the mouse over the line with that transaction - it might give details in a little box (Ulster Bank does anyway).

Best of luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

€40.30 is definitely petrol.

Unless it's something else.

Thanks for the replies folks, must have a closer look so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Probably Topaz

I thought it said 'AIDS scam'. Clearly not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I'm going to transfer this one to the banking forum as they might have more experience with this type of transaction. Please note the change of forum and forum rules when posting.

Buford T. Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

€40.30 is definitely petrol.

Unless it's something else.

I'd agree. Definitely petrol or something else. One or the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'd agree. Definitely petrol or something else. One or the other

The .30 is odd for petrol so I'd say it's something else. But then if you were daydreaming you could go over by .30cent easy. So it could be petrol, or, something else.

Petrol and a freddo? Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Petrol and a freddo? Makes sense.

Nope.
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/freddo-bars-price-3303454-Mar2017/

Must be something else so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sidcon

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Ard-Services-Limited-204169

It's Topaz - ard service is the company name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

sidcon wrote: »

Can confirm this too. All my Topaz transaction have ARDS and the town

The reason you are seeing transactions for dates you weren't in the particular towns would be because of the delay in transactions posting. Depending on when the branch submits their batches your account may not be debited until up to a week or so after the transaction (although the funds will be deducted from your balance as pending).

• Advertisement

sidcon wrote: »

I called petrol station!

Where do I get my prize?

Still pretty sure the 30c is a Freddo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Still pretty sure the 30c is a Freddo

Or trigger happy at the pump! I can never hit it bang on

Thanks folks, clears it up. Mods please close the thread as question has been answered.

Advertisement