Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan to pay tuition fees

• 13-03-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Im wondering if there are any banks that would lend tuition fees and you don't have to start paying back the loan until you have finished college? Id be looking at 21k loan but wouldn't be able to make payments during the course (4years) but wouldn't be an issue once its finished. Any where Ive looked student loans are maxed at about 10k and you have to start paying back straight away but I'm sure I am just not looking in the right places.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Im wondering if there are any banks that would lend tuition fees and you don't have to start paying back the loan until you have finished college? Id be looking at 21k loan but wouldn't be able to make payments during the course (4years) but wouldn't be an issue once its finished. Any where Ive looked student loans are maxed at about 10k and you have to start paying back straight away but I'm sure I am just not looking in the right places.

Thanks!

What course are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,594 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You don’t pay the fees up front. So you don’t need 21k

What course is it?
    Have you done a course before ?
    Are you an Irish citizen ?

Would you consider a part time course do you can work and pay for it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for replies. No it will be three year x7k I have enough to pay for the first year but won't be able to save enough for the other 3 years. I already have a degree hence having to pay full fees. The course I would like to do can not be done part time.

Well I’d its over three years why start pay interest for year 2 and 3?

Is it a degree ? You could find an open university masters or similar which would be more affordable

ted1 wrote: »
    Well I’d its over three years why start pay interest for year 2 and 3?

Is it a degree ? You could find an open university masters or similar which would be more affordable

It's to do nursing so cant do it online unfortunately. I have already deferred since last year in the hope of saving more but didn't manage it due to some unexpected expenses. Im sure I could get a 7k loan but then I would be stuck for the following year as I wouldn't have the first loan payed off. These types of loans are available in the UK if I'm correct? I see all the banks offer student loans but none related to tuition fees.

• Advertisement

https://aib.ie/our-products/loans/education-loans

I just found this actually. while not covering the entire amount it would be helpful. Its a very expensive loan though, is it?

With s nursing loan most financial institutes would consider you a flight risk !!

My wife is going back to do teaching
    And the teachers credit union provides loans for the course.

A quick google shows that the health services credit Union may do similar

https://www.hsscu.ie/loan-calculator/

Oh no really?! I think being a single parent with two kids might finally go in my favour! As much as I’d love to emigrate! That looks good. I’m a long standing member of the credit union, hadn’t thought of going to them. It might be an option. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Hi,

As you may know the credit union will give you a loan of 10x your deposit (subject to some other rules). However they will keep that 10% as collateral . I also believe the credit union will not allow you to defer payments.

I recently took out a 20K loan to do a masters degree and that was my experience, currently 2/5 years into repaying it with the credit union.

Different credit unions have different rules. The teaching one and probably the nursing one will give you the full amount regardless of savings.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,338 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When I went to do a masters AIB gave me a loan basically to pay my fees and pretty much live off for the year. They let me only pay interest for the year I was actually studying then it went up to full payments the September I finished.

Advertisement