Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Noise

Options
  • 13-03-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Wondering if someone can help me.

I have an Asus Zenbook - i5 7200, 256SSD, 8GB RAM.

The fan noise is unbelievable. It's so bad. What's more, I feel like the performance of the machine deteriorates when I hear it.

I am by no means a 'heavy' user, just chrome and PowerPoint and Word documents opened at one time.

Googled this issue, and made some adjustments that I, not being very tech savvy, was able to do.

But it's really annoying and frustrating, and willing to try anything someone else may have done or had a similar issue.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the ran is running loud, it's probably got good reason to do so.

What's the CPU usage like when this happens? What's the temperature like and what program are you checking with? Have you tried blowing out dust from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You need to remove fluff from inside, which is reducing the cooling effect of the fan, hence it comes on more. like this
    3-Fluff-blockage.jpg
    I'm not familiar with your model, but it may need complete disassembly. Some models are well designed and have an access panel. Blowing air in through the fan outlet may help, but will blow the fluff around onto other components and may cause other problems. Always use it on a hard surface to keep air inlets unobstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for the replies folks, sorry for the delay in replying.

Yeah it's very frustrating. It's not all the time, but I would say 80% of the time I'm using the laptop. Forgot to mention that the laptop is only 6 months old, and the fan has been loud pretty much since I got it.

Not techy at all, wouldn't even know where to start about opening it up!

Not sure how to check CPU usage, or what would be considered normal.

Appreciate your input folks, it's so loud....as I type!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Let's check the CPU usage as that's simple.

If it has Win10 given it's age, right click the task bar and choose task manager.

You'll be in the simple view to begin with, so click more details.

You'll then see the columns with each applications usage and the total. When the fan is loud, tell us what the total is, and what application is eating most CPU time.

One option is the machine is compromised, and being used for mining, which would max out the CPU.

Or it's just something as mundane as dust and fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks Spear.

CPU usage is 10%, Google Chrome is 6.9%

Memory is 67%, Google Chrome again is 1500MB

Hope that makes some sort of sense. The figures are constantly changing, with a long list of applications.

• Advertisement

Do you have the Asus utils supplied? That normally includes a temp monitor.

But with the low CPU usage, dust/fluff is looking more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Use CoreTemp to check temperatures.

It sounds like there was bad thermal paste application at factory considering you say it's always done this from new, which also makes it unlikely to be dust accumulation (though it easily could be if its second hand you bought it).

A lot of laptops have higher fan curves at relatively low temperatures....so if it's not a great job you will unfortunately hear it a lot.

The solution is to open it up and remove the heatsink/clean it and CPU and reapply thermal paste...but if its in warranty bring it back to the shop, explain the issue, and explain that it's been like this since you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I had a fan problem last year,

turns out it wasnt the paste, or fan itself.

It was the screws on the fan. They were too tight after I reapplied paste. It was causing the fan itself to grind. Check and see if they are too tight/loose.

Might be something completely different, but worth a check :)

Advertisement