Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA trip, worth buying Drone over there?

Options
  • 13-03-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Heading to the US, basically Drones over there seem(?) a bit cheaper than here.

I was looking at a DJI mavik pro.

Worth buying over there, risks? worth it? Anyone done it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

In the event you do purchase one, buy loads of SPARES for it. like blades, batteries, usb leads. Ask for a shipping process as well. I'm sure we have "Cool Dude Expert Drone repair agents" this side of the 'pond but I'd prefer to have options for shipping it back for repair if anything happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

well batts and blades are on amazon uk. Unless there is some issue with the mavik air?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    In the event you do purchase one, buy loads of SPARES for it. like blades, batteries, usb leads. Ask for a shipping process as well. I'm sure we have "Cool Dude Expert Drone repair agents" this side of the 'pond but I'd prefer to have options for shipping it back for repair if anything happened.

Shipping anything back and over the Atlantic will be expensive and quickly eat up any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

If you're buying any DJI drone, go for the Fly More Combo packs which come with a ton of extras you'll need (props, batteries, case, etc).

And just to repeat what's been said, if you buy it in the states, it can only be serviced/replaces/etc there if there's an issue. For that reason alone, I bought mine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

theothernt wrote: »
    If you're buying any DJI drone, go for the Fly More Combo packs which come with a ton of extras you'll need (props, batteries, case, etc).

And just to repeat what's been said, if you buy it in the states, it can only be serviced/replaces/etc there if there's an issue. For that reason alone, I bought mine here.

Thanks, I have been trying to look around, is it common for the DJI's (mavik air) to have issues out of the box? Do they all need professional servicing at some point from DJI?

Just trying to guage my risk,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

jogdish wrote: »
    Thanks, I have been trying to look around, is it common for the DJI's (mavik air) to have issues out of the box? Do they all need professional servicing at some point from DJI?

Just trying to guage my risk,

Judging from the DJI forums, the risk seems to be quite low - things were a bit with the Mavic Pro.

If you decided to buy it in the states, take it out on a few test flights to make sure everything works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I bought my P3A in the states a while back, brang it in hand luggage in the DJI pack no problems. Security gave it a very thorough going over but nothing out of the ordinary!

Definitely test it while on holidays, I did and everything worked fine so I had no headache of returning etc.

Advertisement