Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bean to Cup Machine

• 13-03-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

I want to buy a coffee machine that makes coffee similar to what I get in my local cafe or insomnia - I normally but a regular americano

I dont like the idea of pods and dont want to do too much work preparing the machine as only may use it 3 or 4 times a week.\

Would like to experiment with different type beans.

From what I have read it appears a bean to cup machine is the best/simplest option.

My budget is between 100 and 400 euro.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of machine, am I better trying to get a more expensive machine second hand or is it best go for a new machine in harvey norman etc.

Any tips advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi

I want to buy a coffee machine that makes coffee similar to what I get in my local cafe or insomnia - I normally but a regular americano

I dont like the idea of pods and dont want to do too much work preparing the machine as only may use it 3 or 4 times a week.\

Would like to experiment with different type beans.

From what I have read it appears a bean to cup machine is the best/simplest option.

My budget is between 100 and 400 euro.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of machine, am I better trying to get a more expensive machine second hand or is it best go for a new machine in harvey norman etc.

Any tips advice appreciated.

If you just want Americano then buy my nespresso machine on adverts :)

40 cents per cup and hardly any mess or cleanup.. Cheaper if you buy third party pods.. People rubbish nespresso but I've friends from Portugal and Spain that swear by it.. I used to have a machine that I put ground coffee into and it was fine but the nespresso is just consistently good coffee...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭John Electrician33

I dont like coffee from nespresso machines - dosent taste like real coffee.

As i said I am looking for a bean to cup machine and want the option to try different beans not stuck to those pods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

I dont like coffee from nespresso machines - dosent taste like real coffee.

As i said I am looking for a bean to cup machine and want the option to try different beans not stuck to those pods.

The only issue you might have with bean to cup machine is keeping grounds fresh if you only use couple of times a week

If you check the bargain forum theres a delonghi bean to cup machine regularly offer that's well rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Get the cheapest Delonghi Bean to Cup.

Although , have you considered to get Aeropress , V60 or something similar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9062135/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780844%7CCoffee+machines%7C16527134.htm

I got one off these on special for €220 and love it, went from Nespresso machine and no comparision between it. loving choosing different beans from different regions and locally roasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The only issue you might have with bean to cup machine is keeping grounds fresh if you only use couple of times a week

If you check the bargain forum theres a delonghi bean to cup machine regularly offer that's well rated

The whole point of a bean to cup is that it grinds it fresh for each and every cup so there is no worry about "keeping grinds" fresh. keeping beans fresh is obviously a concern but you will have that with any machine, and even using it 3-4 times a week you would probably get through a 250g back in a few weeks anyway so it's not an issue.

OP I have had a delonghi esam 4200 for 4 years now - still going strong. used to have a gaggia and Iberital grinder separates, which probably offered more flexability and a slightly better cup but to be honest you are only talking about reasonably small differences for most people who are not experts, once you are using decent, fresh beans imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I got my Delonghi 4200 from amazon warehouse deals. It was brand new apart from packaging which only had a few scuff marks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001EOMZ5E/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Spend the money on a good coffee grinder and an Aeropress, if it's regular americano you're drinking. It would make a better cup of coffee then a been to cup. Then in the future if you wanted to upgrade to a good coffee machine you'd have the grinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

mad m wrote: »
    I got my Delonghi 4200 from amazon warehouse deals. It was brand new apart from packaging which only had a few scuff marks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001EOMZ5E/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have one of these and also an aeropress. This beats the aeropress.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭John Electrician33

Thanks for replies. I like the look of the De'longhi bean to cup coffee machine, I assume this will make coffee similar to Insomnia or local coffee shop?

And finally does this machine make coffee in the same way as coffee shop - ie half fill cup with water then use machine to make a shot of coffee and pour this into the cup of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Thanks for replies. I like the look of the De'longhi bean to cup coffee machine, I assume this will make coffee similar to Insomnia or local coffee shop?

And finally does this machine make coffee in the same way as coffee shop - ie half fill cup with water then use machine to make a shot of coffee and pour this into the cup of water.

Have a look on amazon warehouse deals, they are giving 20% extra off today only and there is a few De’Longhi machine there to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Surely no one can’t stop you to pour shot of espresso in a cup half full of water.
    Unless you are looking 1 button click for Americano? Then answer is NO.
    You probably have to spend €1000-1500 for this .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

For €30 odd Euro you'll find it hard to beat an Aeropress for consistent coffee / long black / Americano.

You drink from an AeroP with a good bean from a proper roaster (better than Insomnia etc easily) and you might be disappointed after you shell out big bucks on an auto type machine.
    Especially if you just want a black coffee....

I use an AP at work daily, have a Gaggia Classic and Kalita Wave and another AP at home. The Gaggia makes, after months of farting around with it (grind size etc) a decent if not, better than most coffee shops, Cappucino or Latte.

I was gagging to buy a big Rocket or similar but managing to hold off nicely :)

Good, ground correctly, fresh beans is where it's at IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Hi
    I bought this:
    Melitta E970-101 Caffeo CI From amazon last Black Friday. Got it for £450 and have to say I am very pleased. Was tracking prices for a while and decided the time was right. Makes about 3 cups a day on average and obviously there’s a little work in it but it’s well worth it.
    Had a baby gaggia for years and then nothing as the pod machines didn’t do it for me and OH wanted something convenient for the milk so held out for this.
    Still experimenting with beans but it keeps it interesting.

Advertisement