Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk with heavy rain and strong winds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rain has eased but wind worse than ever. Dare not try to go outside. Been blown over before this year.
    amendment;rain is back, hurtling sideways against the house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ferocious gust of wind here has blown everything across the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Flooded roads already all around and in Mallow town here in North Cork. Council are erecting flood gates in Mallow as we speak with the Blackwater already bursting its banks into the town park.

It was absolutely wild for hours this morning, rain off the mountains was like rivers, as the water from the West is gathered along the length of the river over the next few hours the Blackwater is going to do so significant damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Deedsie wrote: »
    When is this due to pass? Cant see any radar images anywhere for the rest of today. Sick of this unsettled weather.

Tonight,the East coast could see rain up until 11pm or so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

20.0mm so far today in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hasn't stopped in Tipperary since last night. Many roads starting to flood and some impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Terrible day in Dublin. Rain of variable intensities and windy making it feel cold. Better than the mild/drizzly muck of the past few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Unfortunately our anemometer has suffered some damage here in South Laois. The wind speed is not recording since 3.25pm, however direction remains recorded. Currently 21.8mm of rain since just before 2am when this rainfall began. Top gust today was at least 52mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Expect Met Eireann to get a bit of criticism tomorrow. They go real heavy with some warnings, have everyone up to 90 and barely mention a storm like today. Wind and rain in Wexford/ Carlow today on a par with the worst this winter. A rough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Expect Met Eireann to get a bit of criticism tomorrow. They go real heavy with some warnings, have everyone up to 90 and barely mention a storm like today. Wind and rain in Wexford/ Carlow today on a par with the worst this winter. A rough day.

I've not seen anything outside the Yellow creiteria though. Granted flooding was an issue, but wind shouldn't have caused much of an issue as the Max gust I can see is 55kts, within yellow creiteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm in Kildare and can see a lot of water sitting in the field opposite my house.

I was walking pushing a buggy today and had to really hold onto it. There were a few frightening gusts in open areas and I was glad to get home. Still lashing and howling wind. I'm gonna light the fire and enjoy listening to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

You’re typical Atlantic Low would normally have 4 or 5 hours of strong gusts here in Waterford but today they lasted 12 or 13 hours. With heavy rain at times definitely the worst day since Ophelia. For the record I recorded a Max gust of 89km/h and 33.3mm of rain.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I've not seen anything outside the Yellow creiteria though. Granted flooding was an issue, but wind shouldn't have caused much of an issue as the Max gust I can see is 55kts, within yellow creiteria.

All I can tell you empirically is that round here, today's wind & rain are on a par with anything this past winter, including the infamous hurricane. I've been looking a bit cautiously at a beech tree near us exposed to SE & E gales. Last time I looked at it that way was in 'storm ophelia'.

I can see a big flood on the Derry river out the window and that's at a distance in the evening gloom.

I'm not a big fan of all these heavily broadcast coloured weather warnings but a bit of inconsistency apparent :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Up to 25.4mm now in Dublin 16....1'' in old money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Worst day at my station in years with 98kmh gust and 38mm of rain, all rivers in are have burst their banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Johnstown to Freshford road in NW Kilkenny closed due to flooding. The Johnstown station reports 38.6mm. Meanwhile ten miles east of there in Durrow we have 25.9mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Seems a high end yellow warning but with Orange level impacts.

Dublin City centre is a mess this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I have never seen anything like the rain. Some of the roads are near impassible with floods. Huge amounts of land under water. Wasn't expecting this at all.

This has been far more impactful than some of those named storms if you ask me, including Dylan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Thankfully we have escaped the worst of this, didnt really start raining properly til around 5 and even at that, its mostly light misty stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Very large flash outside my window in Dublin 16. No thunder to accompany it. Nothing on Lightning Maps. Power still on. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's a weird, sharp looking squall line South of Wexford on both Netweather and raintoday's radars.

Is it a radar quirk or an actual feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

gabeeg wrote: »
    There's a weird, sharp looking squall line South of Wexford on both Netweather and raintoday's radars.

Is it a radar quirk or an actual feature?

Looks real, a bit funny near the coast but looking at the infrared on sat24 it looks to be real

River Dodder in Dublin tonight. Photos courtesy of Vxlks.

DCEjJL2.jpg

EbYOHWQ.jpg

fCE9WPl.jpg

Tr8Ou12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Snow will always attract attention, and has the potential for lots of disruption.

A yellow wind/rain event occurs several times each year, and isn't even a named storm.

I'm very surprised to see a thread at all, and personally think it's unnecessary.

Had to take 3 detours to get home from work and I was on an early finish to collect kids from.school at 3. Was late as even with those detours still had to pass through one significant flood and one small but very fast flowing flood crossing the road. North cork. It was pretty brutal. River from my house highest I've seen it in the 10 years I've been here
    Presuming with all the recent melting snow land was pretty saturated so it didn't much to flood

30.0mm so far today in Dublin 16.

Not surprised the Dodder is flooding...between rain and snow melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just saw this thread now.

Was raining heavily basically all night in Cork City until about 3pm today with some very heavy showers during the night and around 12/1pm. Wind was getting gradually stronger during the night with my neighbours station recording 94kmph gust at the highest. Looking at the Bandon Early Flood warning system the river looks to be gradually increasing, mallow burst its banks and thankfully the Lee seems to be ok so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

DOCARCH wrote: »
    30.0mm so far today in Dublin 16.

Not surprised the Dodder is flooding...between rain and snow melt.

Seems to be the station where its likely to be flooding.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000009010/0001/week/

Advertisement