Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Swimming Pools

Options
  • 14-03-2018 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

County Kildare with a population approaching a quarter of a million people has only two public swimming pools.

County Wexford (just as an example) with a population half that of Kildare has five.

Every town with more than 10,000 deserves and can support a Leisure Centre (a swimming pool on its own will not make money, but if it also has a gym or other leisure facility it can and usually is profitable).

Maynooth, Newbridge/Kildare Town, Celbridge, Leixlip would be obvious locations.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KCC are attempting a joint venture with the university to co-run a single pool for both. Didn't get funded in the last round of the old swimming pool funding and there isn't much move on new funding

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Maynooth is really missing a big gym (Ben Dunne /Flyfit etc). The only option is the glenroyal really. Actually now that I think about it, same for Leixlip and Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

19 euro for adult and child to use pool in the Glenroyal. Anyone know prices of other hotels in the locality that allow pay by use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I usually use Clondalkin, a family swim (2+2) is €16, hopefully the proposed one in Lucan will be handier, when built (I won't hold my breath).

There was a proposal to build one facing the Applegreen garage in Celbridge built that didn't get planning permission iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

NedNew2 wrote: »
    County Kildare with a population approaching a quarter of a million people has only two public swimming pools.

County Wexford (just as an example) with a population half that of Kildare has five.

Every town with more than 10,000 deserves and can support a Leisure Centre (a swimming pool on its own will not make money, but if it also has a gym or other leisure facility it can and usually is profitable).

Maynooth, Newbridge/Kildare Town, Celbridge, Leixlip would be obvious locations.

Opinions?

Tell us something we don't know! In Leixlip going on 18 years and it's been a bugbear since before I got here.

Meanwhile around €4 million a year of our local property tax is going to other counties to support their leisure facilities.

Personally I blame (1) our local representatives, and (2) Kildare Co Council... I've lived all over the country and never have I lived anywhere which such an ineffective local authority.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Tell us something we don't know! In Leixlip going on 18 years and it's been a bugbear since before I got here.

Meanwhile around €4 million a year of our local property tax is going to other counties to support their leisure facilities.

Personally I blame (1) our local representatives, and (2) Kildare Co Council... I've lived all over the country and never have I lived anywhere which such an ineffective local authority.

While I agree with you on KCC and local reps.

There is a reason for the bit in bold. And it's also not €4 million for leisure facilities.
    Fact is we all live in the same country. Looking out for the parish is very Healy-Rae-ist. I'd be more annoyed at the ineffective use of funds and overall planning of projects by KCC than anything else.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Fact is we all live in the same country. Looking out for the parish is very Healy-Rae-ist.

If we all had the same standard of facilities I wouldn't mind, but we don't. The fact is other parishes are being looked after first with our money, which is very Healy-Rae-ist.

n97 mini wrote: »
    If we all had the same standard of facilities I wouldn't mind, but we don't. The fact is other parishes are being looked after first with our money, which is very Healy-Rae-ist.

Exactly. As this thread is only about swimming pools i'm leaving it there but there are other services that the LPT goes for, most of which aren't for leisure. Big picture.

Exactly. As this thread is only about swimming pools i'm leaving it there but there are other services that the LPT goes for, most of which aren't for leisure. Big picture.

Most of which we don't have either. Recycling centre, decent library opening hours, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

There is a public rally organised in Kildare Town on the 24 th of March to have a Leisure Centre/swimming pool built.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/public-demo-kildare-town-swimming-pool-funds/213128

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Most of which we don't have either. Recycling centre, decent library opening hours, etc.

Not disagreeing with this but do people not get the idea behind why a portion of LPT taxes are distributed out?

If you really think that Kildare and N Kildare in particular is lacking in comparison to other parts of the country...

As I said earlier... back to swimming pools, i'm sure everyone will be heading along to the town on the 24th for the pool march.

If you really think that Kildare and N Kildare in particular is lacking in comparison to other parts of the country...

In terms of council provided services, North Kildare IS lacking compared to the rest of the country. We may as well not exist to the permanent staff of the council

Keep the GAA boundaries and put us administratively in to South Dublin.

L1011 wrote: »
    Keep the GAA boundaries and put us administratively in to South Dublin.

Spoke to a member of the Kildare North Garda division in October. Lowest detection rates in the country (officially). She said when Leixlip was part of the Dublin Metropolitan Division such poor performance (as a result of poor resourcing) wouldn't have been tolerated. I also would prefer us the be administratively part of Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maynooth is really missing a big gym (Ben Dunne /Flyfit etc). The only option is the glenroyal really. Actually now that I think about it, same for Leixlip and Celbridge
    Its not massive but we do have the Leixlip Amenities Centre!

Advertisement