Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda to Start Green Bin Charges

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They will be universal, I can imagine some companies saying their one will only work with their bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Greyhound will be charging me 15c per kg for green bin collection. From 28 May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Badabing wrote: »
    Greyhound will be charging me 15c per kg for green bin collection. From 28 May

Thornton’s, with their pay per lift of 40kg for €9.90, works out nearly 25c per kg. The 10c difference per kg seems very small considering ones for landfill and the others for recycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had my green bin lifted by Panda last week and expected a green bin charge. No charge is showing on the account.
    Did anyone get charged for the green bin yet?

Edit: Panda released an update a few days ago. It's available on their website. Charges for the green bin start from 2nd May 2018 link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I had my green bin lifted by Panda last week and expected a green bin charge. No charge is showing on the account.
    Did anyone get charged for the green bin yet?

It started on the 2nd. They pushed it back a couple of weeks but didn't bother telling us.
    I got a text yesterday which linked to the original news item but the date is changed.

https://www.panda.ie/household/news/supended-collections-dlr-and-fingal.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Am with Thorntons, Green bin collected on Wed, first time to be charged, €1 per lift.

However, they obviously messed up. I got charged €2 as the same bin was lifted twice (some cardboard may have gotten stuck at the bottom and didn't empty properly the first time).. Got it rectified in the end but something to be mindful about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

RockDesk wrote: »
    It started on the 2nd. They pushed it back a couple of weeks but didn't bother telling us.
    I got a text yesterday which linked to the original news item but the date is changed.

https://www.panda.ie/household/news/supended-collections-dlr-and-fingal.html

What does the text say, that link isn't working?

Panda site is hopeless, anyone know the max weight,if any for a green bin, and charges per kilo? Also has the start date for green bin charges changed from 2nd may. If you can put up a link for this please do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Charging started from 2nd May.

Text from link.

"Panda Addresses the China Problem

Panda collects and processes 100,000 tons per annum of mixed dry recyclables from over a quarter of a million homes across Ireland and many commercial businesses.

Recycling is a Global business and for more than a decade China has been the main processor of recyclables, not just from Europe, but also for much of the world. For a variety of reasons, including high levels of contamination, China has recently stopped accepting recycling material from outside its own borders. So with China closed as an outlet, the cost of recycling worldwide has escalated dramatically as more companies world-wide jostle for access to reduced outlets in the rest of the world.

Panda is committed to recycling in Ireland and in order to maintain Ireland's excellent recycling rate, it is critical that the cost of recycling is met. Unfortunately, to meet increasing costs, we have introduced charges for the recycling bin collection service effective 2nd May 2018. However, these charges are relatively small and will be used to help maintain a sustainable recycling culture in Ireland.

In DLR and Fingal County Council areas, we are charging just 80 cents per lift of your recycling bin and 4.5 cents per kg to collect, process and transport your recyclables, a relatively small price to pay to be able to continue to recycle in a sustainable manner for future generations.

Please go to the following link to see an article in the Irish Examiner covering what Panda does with your recyclables in its recycling facility in Dublin

http://bit.ly/Examinerart"

There's nothing on their website to say how much the bin weighed. My invoice just showed that a 240l bin was lifted. They have a 'Lifted' charge and a 'Collected' charge in the same invoice.

• Advertisement

I can't get information on mypanda site,or panda site, just rubbish about China, nothing about green bin charges. What would a full 240 litre green bin weigh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

horse7 wrote: »
    I can't get information on mypanda site,or panda site, just rubbish about China, nothing about green bin charges. What would a full 240 litre green bin weigh?

Anywhere from 5/6kg upto 50/60kg. Some people put a lot of books or magazines in the recycling bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Second lift done now and the cost was just over 1 EUR for the lift. As long as it stays within 1-2 EUR, I am happy enough with that.

Is there a waste regulator being set up? I remember reading in 2016 that a regulator was to be established but nothing since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is there a waste regulator being set up? I remember reading in 2016 that a regulator was to be established but nothing since then.

Self regulation maybe, always works well!

Advertisement