Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband

• 14-03-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey
    Just wondering if anyone has tried Vodafone or Sky broadband, currently have Eir efibre and find it very good but very expensive. Based in the South Mayo region.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

freddie_ wrote: »
    Hey
    Just wondering if anyone has tried Vodafone or Sky broadband, currently have Eir efibre and find it very good but very expensive. Based in the South Mayo region.
    Thanks

Of you don't need a phone on the line go with Westnet. Local provider, great customer service and the only isp in the area with unlimited usage. They also supply the best routers, 10x better than the junk Eir and Vodafone supply.

€40/month for broadband only connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Have had Vodafone for the last 4 years, no issues or downtime and no usage cap either, €40 just for broadband, nice steady download speeds of around 9.0MB/s on Steam.

I had Eir before that and nothing but issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Of you don't need a phone on the line go with Westnet. Local provider, great customer service and the only isp in the area with unlimited usage. They also supply the best routers, 10x better than the junk Eir and Vodafone supply.

€40/month for broadband only connection.

Just got connected with westnet so you beat me to this post .. only issue I had was that it took several weeks t get them here but then I am offshore . I wanted to use a local firm and actually they are the only ones who come out here, Beats vodafone etc and better than digiweb . When I asked if unlimitedusage meant fair i user policy they grinned and assured me I could leave it on 24/7 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Have had three for years with the dongle put outside the window to get a 3g signal. As too far from the exchange to get it by phone line.

Just recently upped contract to a E5573 WiFi and new sim and am getting a very fast 4g signal most of the time with the e5573 inside the window, but suspended near the top of the window. I know where the broadband poles are so point the WiFi towards it. Zipping along.

I bought contract of €54 pcm for 100gig and they've just gone unlimited (fair usage 750gig) for €30, bugger

3g/4g isn't broadband. I understand its the only option in places, as it is for me but to recommend it in a location where VDSL is available is madness.

I have customers on Vodafone connections and while it is reliable, when issues arise its impossible to talk to someone who knows what they are on about.

By comparison, Westnet is a relatively small company and I would say anyone that picks up the phone would have good technical knowledge.

I am not in anyway associated with the company but I have tested their troubleshooting skills on an install recently and they had it resolved within 15 minutes. To top it off it was me that caused the problem. I dread to think how long it would have taken Vodafone or Eir to figure out my mistake and tell me what the problem was.

Add to that, they are a local company, local employees, and locally owned.

• Advertisement

3g/4g isn't broadband. I understand its the only option in places, as it is for me but to recommend it in a location where VDSL is available is madness.

To be fair, in my haste to help, I missed the "efibre" bit in the OP. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Westnet is good if your only a light internet user. It’s no good for gaming as congestion is a problem with high pings.
    If your a heavy user who downloads a lot then westnet is not for you.
    Now there new ftth will be the business
    Would def recommend that as it’s thecway forward westnet Paul seemed like a sound fella aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Westnet grand if you've no other option but their speeds are chronically slow (4Mbps). Imagine another option to consider.

Lads, come on now, at least have a look at their website before commenting.

They offer VDSL, the same as any other provider. Their pings are lower than both Eir and Vodafone on VDSL or efibre as Eir call it.

What you are commenting on is their fixed wireless product. Unfortunately the issues you speak of are inherited from the technology.

The OP clearly said they were in a VDSL area.

As for imagine as an ISP, I would rather 56k.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Westnet grand if you've no other option but their speeds are chronically slow (4Mbps). Imagine another option to consider.

I'm getting 20 Mbps ping on the three 4g WiFi on a good day and it's usually easily over 10 Mbps. Vast improvement on the 3g crap of lucky to get 1 Mbps. Can post pics tomorrow if wanted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement