Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake upgrade

Options
  • 14-03-2018 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

It's time to upgrade the brakes: '14 Defy 3, comes with Tektro TK-R312 and the outer cable going to the rear is split in 2. There eyelets under the top tube and the inner cable exposed. I remember, when I had my first road bike 28 years ago, it had a full length cable which was held in place by a plastic clip.

I'm going to do the same setup this time, bypassing the eyelets, as the water ingress caused me trouble on the bare parts. Is there a tidy way of securing the outer cable to the top tube?

The replacements parts: Tiagra Br-4600 and Dura Ace 9000 cables. I don't have a special cable cutter, what can I trim the cables without doing much damage?

Thank you!

And while we're getting technical: any recommendation on grease for head tube and hub bearings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I use MS4 grease on everything on the bike. As for the brake cable dilemma, you could use cable ties to hold the cable onto the frame - but it might rub in places. You could put a slice of old inner tube under the ties, but this wouldn't look so good. Id stick to what the frame is designed for and get decent cables - jagwire polished ones are supposed to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

As triggermortis says, the cable ties won't look great, and will rub the paint on the frame.

If you drop a good bit of dribble-oil (ie: not thin, spray stuff) into the cable housing sections before you assemble the cables, it will keep moisture out a lot better.

You can also use grease - it's hard to inject it into the housings, so put it onto the inner wire and use the wire to carry it inside by repeatedly running it through the housing before actual assembly.

Advertisement