Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda green bin charge ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Due to the partial service of areas by operators and totally different offerings in different areas a comparison site would be nearly impossible to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They'll all be charging soon enough, if they continue to collect green waste.

I posted this in the Recycling forum,

It's not just Ireland that is affected by this, it has become a worldwide issue and even the likes of Australia and the UK are now having problems with building waste mountains, some councils in Australia had already stopped collecting recyclable waste even before the China ban.

If our local councils collected that waste and not private companies we'd still have to pay more for it via increases in property taxes, or decreases in services elsewhere, to cover the costs.

This is one area in which the majority of papers will drum it up as private companies looking to rip off consumers, enabled and encouraged by the we won't pay crowd.

Prices for recyclable waste have dropped through the floor and if it's costing companies more to process it, while getting paid less, they may just stop collecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hurrache wrote: »
    They'll all be charging soon enough, if they continue to collect green waste.
    Well all that I know of are already charging at the moment, in the sense that I know of nobody who will collect green waste without you being signed up for other removals.

I know you obviously mean they will all be charging individually for pickups & weight -but I have heard people who were actually surprised that they could not just get a green bin from panda. Their logic being "but sure its free".

This is often the excuse I hear about junkmail, "sure what harm does it do, just dump it in your green bin, its FREE".

Since the pickups are "free" in my area I notice most people put it out everysingle time they can, while the black bin (though collected weekly) is very sparse come collection day. I never put out half full green bins, if others did the same they would have saved the companies a bit.

Since they are going to now profit from the green bins, and those who have it out every 2 weeks (and often several extra bags) I would hope that the the other charges, like annual charges etc might come down, as they could afford to.

I expect woodies will be pleased with the increase of "no junkmail" signs. And an post will lose revenue as they are one of the biggest junkmailers out there. I suggest people get a "no unaddressed mail" sign rather than "no junkmail".

The weight of junkmail might be very low per year but its the principle that will have people up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Well that's the end of putting glass bottles in the green bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

rubadub wrote: »

Since the pickups are "free" in my area I notice most people put it out everysingle time they can, while the black bin (though collected weekly) is very sparse come collection day. I never put out half full green bins, if others did the same they would have saved the companies a bit.

Not putting the bin out as often won't be any saving in the grand scheme of things unless it's a very rural area. The truck still has to travel the same route and is likely stopping close or possibly beside you anyway.

• Advertisement

.Since they are going to now profit from the green bins,

Who, customers or the waste collectors?

And what I meant by if they collect it at all is that it's becoming financially unviable to collect green waste, hence some companies and councils elsewhere stopping collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

€21 isn't much per annum and they said there is no plans to increase it in years to come.

And what I meant by if they collect it at all is that it's becoming financially unviable to collect green waste, hence some companies and councils elsewhere stopping collections.

You are saying green waste (which universally means compostable material) when the topic of the thread is "green bin", standard mixed recylables

Waste providers are obliged to collect mixed recyclables, and in areas over a certain population they are obliged to collect compostables also - they can't just opt out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We've been paying by the lift for the recyclables bin for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

guess there is no real point in separating out the rubbish for the green bins anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Charlie19 wrote: »
    €21 isn't much per annum and they said there is no plans to increase it in years to come.

I don’t know where they’re getting the €21 per year price from.

If it’s 80 cent per lift and there’s 26 lifts a year then that’s €20.80. Then you’ve to factor in the 4.5 cents per kg per lift as well. If you put out an 18kg bin each lift thats an extra €21, so in a year that’s €41.80, not the biggest expense in the world but there’s only one way those prices are going to go.

L1011 wrote: »
    You are saying green waste (which universally means compostable material) when the topic of the thread is "green bin", standard mixed recylables

Waste providers are obliged to collect mixed recyclables, and in areas over a certain population they are obliged to collect compostables also - they can't just opt out.

I'm not taking about compostables, I mean what goes in the green bin from the point of view of Panda (I'm fully aware different companies can have different coloured bins) so I should have been clearer, green waste - green bin waste.

Maybe they can't opt out collecting it but they probably can stop recycling it or just stockpile it as is happening in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If green waste is costing more to recycle than it is to collect, well then sooner or later this farce will have to stop. Everything in the black bin and save water rinsing out the cartons, tubs and plastic bottles. It will happen, sure haven't we got a humungous incinerator now.

I'm not taking about compostables, I mean what goes in the green bin from the point of view of Panda (I'm fully aware different companies can have different coloured bins) so I should have been clearer, green waste - green bin waste.

Maybe they can't opt out collecting it but they probably can stop recycling it or just stockpile it as is happening in other countries.

EPA will get them eventually on either option.

They're going to have to invest in sorting lines rather than assuming its been sorted properly by the customers and firing it off to China as has often been the case.

Remembered reading an article on Thornton's sorting system when waiting for a Ford dealer to hand me back my van a few years ago, found it oddly easily:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/lifting-the-lid-on-what-s-going-to-waste-after-all-that-recycling-1.485506

Notice that they were getting cash for selling plastic film, which we've now been ordered not to put in recycling!

oceanman wrote: »
    guess there is no real point in separating out the rubbish for the green bins anymore..
    I think the green bin collections will be cheaper per lift and per kilo. You have to work it out.

We have a brown bin, it is smaller than the black or green. I was wondering if it was cheaper to just have a black bin. I think we pay a yearly fee to have the brown, and I don't think there is a rule to stop putting food waste in the black bin (there might be now). The price per kilo for the brown was less, but as it is smaller and (I think) had a yearly fee it might be cheaper to get rid of it.

Some have discounts if you have/opt for smaller bins.

Also besides cost some might rightly or wrongly believe the green bin is doing something good for the environment.

I remember in the 80s as a kid I put glass bottles in a recycling machine in dunnes cornelscourt, it printed out a receipt or something, they were paying for the bottles. In the US you see homeless people collecting drinks cans to get money. I am surprised there is nothing like that here, maybe there is no money in it here. But if there was people could leave out cans & glass for anybody to collect, and they could check themselves to see it is not just a load of dirty nappies.

I still think it is odd we do not reUSE glass bottles here rather than recycle. Reusable milk bottles were extremely common in the 80s, and in europe beer bottles are too.

We've been paying by the lift for the recyclables bin for years.

Lucky you! I wish I had the same option. Instead I have been paying over the odds, chipping into a central fund for my neighbours who take the piss (putting bins out every chance they can) and develop far more waste per household than me.

I bet when this comes in, and if still only collected only 2 weeks, I will see less than half the bins I see out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

When the service was privatized the councils gave an estimate regarding the amount of waste to be collected. It is my opinion that it had fallen short and waste operators were left dealing with a lot less waste than they expected. For example there are two households on my street who never put a bin out. I’ve seen one guy just put the rubbish in his car and drive off in the motning. My guess is that it gets binned in work. The latest development will just end up with folks tossing the recycling in with the waste if it’s cheaper, the stuff being burned or worse agsin, being dumped all over the place. Bottom line is that waste companies are delighted with this latest decelopment, it’s more revenue and less work in that you don’t have to dick about with recyclables if it’s pitched in with the trash

Since they are going to now profit from the green bins,
    I meant the waste collectors, which I think was obvious, I did not use the word "benefit" so struggle to see how customers would "profit". I do not really expect to see the reduction in annual costs that I hope for. If profit margins stayed the exact same then annual costs could obviously be reduced and those people who rarely use the green bin would benefit (or you might say profit?).
    guil wrote: »
    Not putting the bin out as often won't be any saving in the grand scheme of things unless it's a very rural area. The truck still has to travel the same route and is likely stopping close or possibly beside you anyway.
    I think the rural areas would save less, the truck has to go all that way out, only to discover the bin is not put out. In my area I reckon each week only 20-25% of black bins are put out, terrible waste having trucks drive around every week.

I would like to see a service that collects far less, so I am not chipping in for those using it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

That was my point about the truck travelling the whole route, it has to do it everywhere. Anything longer than a fortnightly collection wouldn't suit the vast majority of customers. I drive a bin lorry and that's my experience.

I meant the waste collectors, which I think was obvious,

But this is the whole issue, worldwide, now. They aren't profiting from recyclable waste which is why it isn't obvious as to who you were speaking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

But this is the whole issue, worldwide, now. They aren't profiting from recyclable waste which is why it isn't obvious as to who you were speaking about

Which begs the question. Why recycle if it’s going to cost you? Somebody is making money from recycled plastic, paper etc. There’s quite a few business selling the stuff

Which begs the question. Why recycle if it’s going to cost you?

It's a sad world when such a question needs to be asked. Over the course of the year it's next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

It's a sad world when such a question needs to be asked. Over the course of the year it's next to nothing.

Fair enough, but I suspect that it is the multiplicity of the relatively next to nothings that is annoying people.

Again I thought it was obvious since the phrase you are proposing I said/meant was...
    Since customers are going to now profit from the green bins,
    which makes no sense to me. How would the customers profit from the green bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I would recycle quite a lot so will just get 3 containers. I will put all my recycling into a bin in the kitchen and then segregate it to the 3 containers which are then put into the car and driven to the local recycle centre (about 2 miles away) and then disposed of there (I will be going anyway to dispose of my bottles) I know that is not feasible for all but you will defo see a big increase in the traffic going into local recycling centres, in my opinion.....

Maybe they will start charging for bringing your recycling to them soon !!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I would recycle quite a lot so will just get 3 containers. I will put all my recycling into a bin in the kitchen and then segregate it to the 3 containers which are then put into the car and driven to the local recycle centre (about 2 miles away) and then disposed of there (I will be going anyway to dispose of my bottles) I know that is not feasible for all but you will defo see a big increase in the traffic going into local recycling centres, in my opinion.....

Maybe they will start charging for bringing your recycling to them soon !!!

My local council dump charges €3 entry, and €4 per rubbish bag. They offer the full recycling service as well. I usually go about once a month, but they seem to have been tryin to close it for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

whiterebel wrote:
    My local council dump charges €3 entry, and €4 per rubbish bag. They offer the full recycling service as well. I usually go about once a month, but they seem to have been tryin to close it for quite a while.

'the polluter pays' has a fundamental flaw that must be addressed quickly or we re gonna see an increase in illegal methods of waste disposal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'the polluter pays' has a fundamental flaw that must be addressed quickly or we re gonna see an increase in illegal methods of waste disposal
    I think we are seeing that already..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oceanman wrote:
    I think we are seeing that already..

Unfortunately, I don't see this changing for the moment, I'm not even sure any of our political parties see these flaws, not even our pro environmental green party, and if it does truly fail, this would be a shame, as there has been some major advantages since it's implementation, public awareness of waste management issues being one, but there are others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Thornton’s going to start charging €1 per recycle bin lift from May 1st

http://thorntons-recycling.ie/green-recycling-bin-charges/?pageNum=0

Advertisement