Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a house off a garage

Options
  • 14-03-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have power in my garage to run electric gates.

A neighbour wants to use the garage to run their new house while waiting for ESB supply to be connected

Is this a complete overload ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Presumably the power in your garage is coming from your house. So, the answer is yes, that would be too much load.

Don't do it. Not your problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is impossible to say with the information provided.
    I can tell you this:

Many moons ago I supplied a friends house from and extension lead which was plugged into a socket in a garage. We had to ensure that the load was small or the 13A fuse in the plug would blow. So the load was limited to:
    Intruder alarm
    A few lights
    Smoke detectors
    Heat detectors
    Boiler
    Circulation pump for central heating

Anything beyond this and we were pushing our luck!

The main reason was we wanted the intruder alarm functioning as the house was empty much of the time. Before that we used a car battery to power the intruder alarm as it would last for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It would be an nice thing to do but I’d urge you to ensure the line is protected properly to avoid any damage to your infrastructure.

I’d go below the 13A standard plug fuse and use one of the plug in RCD devices too to protect anyone working downstream.

I’m doing the exact same thing myself at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Impossible to say without more info:

When you say run his house, do you mean the entire electrical load for his house, or just a couple of lights and maybe a socket?
    What size is the supply cable to your garage, and what breaker is it supplied from in your house?

If your garage has just a 2.5sq or 4.0sq cable supplying a socket circuit, then you are limited in what you can supply. If your garage has, say a 10sq cable, fed from a 32A breaker, then you can do a lot more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

_Brian wrote: »
    It would be an nice thing to do but I’d urge you to ensure the line is protected properly to avoid any damage to your infrastructure.

Unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the existing infrastructure this won’t be an issue. If there is such an issue it should be dealt with anyway.
    I’d go below the 13A standard plug fuse and use one of the plug in RCD devices too to protect anyone working downstream.

Why limit to below 13A ?? This is not much for an entire house. Any temporary supply should only be connected by a qualified electrician. Depending on the circumstances it may be possible to connect a 20A supply or even larger. The electrician should be able to make that call. In terms of an RCD if fed from a socket this should be in place already, again the electrician can determine this. If the wiring on the new house is complete I would consider an additional RCD pointless.

The “trick” here is to ensure that all cables are sufficiently protected, nothing is overloaded and earth fault loop impedance values are not exceeded due to longer cable runs (temporary wiring). Finally ensure that volt drop is not excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

seamus wrote: »
    Don't do it. Not your problem.

Bad advice - Love your neighbor as yourself

Advertisement