Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL 2nd Round, 2nd leg, Barca (1) vs (1) Chelsea (RTE, BT Sports)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

GavRedKing wrote: »
    2nd best come back of all time, after Barca dumping PSG out last year.

3rd greatest, even Barca’s comeback last year isn’t in first place because it didn’t really count for anything in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Essien wrote: »
    It's frustrating to be 2 down having not actually been playing that bad.

Mistakes get punished severely in Europe compared to the Premier League; especially against established sides like Real or Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SlickRic wrote: »
    Giroud is showing in this game why he's never been elite.

Has destroyed good work by Willian and Hazard on multiple occasions now.

Be interesting to see how Muller and I'm not even gonna try spell lewa fully fare against Barca. Giroud is not doing enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Thought that was in.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how Muller and I'm not even gonna try spell lewa fully fare against Barca. Giroud is not doing enough.

Barca haven't been great here in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Scoreline harsh on Chelsea who have done reasonably well. I thought Willian and Kante had a good half. Messi looks a threat whenever he gets it. Pity the Alonso free-kick didn't go in as it would have given Chelsea a lift. Hard to see Chelsea getting two goals and not conceding any in the next half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

blueser wrote: »
    George Hamilton on RTE; "Reasons to be cheerful for Chelsea. Well; score twice and don't let Barcelona score again, and you're through". Cutting edge commentary there from George.

Every time he commentates, he achieves what I thought was impossible and says something even more stupid than last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Barca haven't been great here in all honesty.

If you listen to George Hamilton you'd think they are playing the best football ever seen.

He is full of it tonight. Gushing praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

So close, Alonso. So frustrating, Chelsea are the better team but 2 lapses have been punished. Need to just go for it now, they look nervy when Willian or Hazard runs at them, just need Giroud to read these situations better and there could be some joy from his lay offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

blueser wrote: »
    George Hamilton on RTE; "Reasons to be cheerful for Chelsea. Well; score twice and don't let Barcelona score again, and you're through". Cutting edge commentary there from George.
    And he's just repeated it. In case we missed it the first time around, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How do Barca get away with surrounding the ref in packs constantly?

I've never been able to warm to them. Even with all the advantages they have, they, for as long as I can remember, have been the absolute whiniest yet sneakiest team going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A lot of Chelsea possession breaking down with Giroud. He doesn't look quite up to speed with the other Chelsea players and their positions and is being rushed/panicked into flicks that are not working (or he is just not good enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

A bold substitution is needed from conte. I’d bring morata on for giroud, he’s more mobile and interchangeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People were moaning about Pique going down when he clearly got an elbow on the jaw. Why all the moaning about him going down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do Barca get away with surrounding the ref in packs constantly?

Didn't you know they are more than a club.
    They are allowed to do things others aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Chelsea have played really well. Where was this type of performance against Man City? Probably easier to get yourself up for a massive game in Europe than a scrap for top 4 lol

beya2009 wrote: »
    Chelsea have played really well. Where was this type of performance against Man City? Probably easier to get yourself up for a massive game in Europe than a scrap for top 4 lol

City pressed really high frequently with intent. Barca are dropping off. Very often only commiting 2 to midfield. Very easy for Chelsea to build numerical superiority. Chelsea in truth haven't created a lot apart from set plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just fcukin score!

Looked a peno to me at first glance.

• Advertisement

That's a penalty all day.

Stay on your feet ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Shocking dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not enough in that for me to give a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

DIVE with no one to beat

Maybe I'm naive, but it looked like at least a lean on his back. Plus, I don't know why he'd dive in point blank range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Penalty and a red for me. Pulled him back by the arm. More than enough to throw him off balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Can't believe he didn't give it. If it was the other end I have no doubt he would have given it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That's a penalty all day.

I was sure it was first look but nah, looked like he hit the deck far too easy. He should have just put it in the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Admittedly I don't watch Chelsea too often, but is Courtois usually this bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nothing. Lucky to avoid a booking for the dive. Instead he got Giroud one . Great call by the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Pulled his arm, and looked to have clipped his right leg. Looked a pen.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Can't believe he didn't give it. If it was the other end I have no doubt he would have given it.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

I would have awarded it. There's enough there to put him off balance. I'd agree it would have been given the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not surprised it wasn't give TBH.

Id have no doubt however if it was at the other end its a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Enough contact for a peno IMO.......no doubt Barca would have gotten it.....

Giroud is horrific.

I think it's one of those the home team may get the away side not as likely.

Giroud needed to go wide there to leave Willian with a 1 v1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

NukaCola wrote: »
    Enough contact for a peno IMO.......no doubt Barca would have gotten it.....

Wasn't there a big dive by Suarez to win/spoil "the greatest comeback of all time" against PSG last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Willian to Giroud equalls goal threat.

What the feck was I thinking? Giroud has the wit of a breeze block

Alonso went down in such a great position & it's not like he's not capable of scoring. Could have easily stayed on his feet but wanted the pen & a red.

• Advertisement

With the way Chelsea have been playing all game, with Hazard and Willian driving forward with the ball on the ground...playing Giroud over Morata or Pedro is a bit weird.

RTE proving they are the least racist commentators by mixing up Willian and Hazard :D

Ohhh Gomes.

*grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

not a big fan of watching Barca, they always seem to get the rub of the green from refs.... they go down under any challenge and try and persuade the ref to give them frees... but and they'll cynically foul you when you break their press..

that game v PSG last season was a disgrace also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

ERG89 wrote: »
    Alonso went down in such a great position & it's not like he's not capable of scoring. Could have easily stayed on his feet but wanted the pen & a red.

aye....some dive in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Alonso looks a better striker than Giroud or Morata.

Unbelievable. Messi's done Courtois again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

To be fair, that third goal changes nothing. Chelsea still need to score a sh!t load of goals without reply to go through.

Courtouis should've done better on all three goals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That's all folks

Advertisement