Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mudguards

Options
  • 14-03-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I have recently replaced my hybrid. New bike had those slim clip on mudguards - that clip into a bracket bolted to the frame. Commuting after the snow and especially this morning has made it abundantly clear that these mudguards don't provide adequate protection.

Mudguards from previous hybrid worked perfectly, but they have been "inherited" by my 17 year old and I can't in fairness reclaim them now, he has been delighted to get them because his previous ones had come off.

So I am asking for recommendations for full mudguards. Bike has full mudguard brackets so don't need raceblade style ones. I want full protection for the rain, this bike is for a short commute (7.5km) and so weight is not really an issue, nor tbh is looks really. Disc brakes but with mudguard mounts that shouldn't be an issue i imagine - I know there are some raod bike ones that use rim brake calipers to mount onto.

Which ones should i get? I want stable, full coverage, fit and forget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

SKS plastic full length guards are probably the closest to fit and forget. There are longer versions to be had also.

I have a set of Gilles Berthoud stainless steel guards on my bike which are very effective, very pretty but they tend to crack due to metal fatigue over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cdaly_ wrote: »
    SKS plastic full length guards are probably the closest to fit and forget. There are longer versions to be had also.

I have a set of Gilles Berthoud stainless steel guards on my bike which are very effective, very pretty but they tend to crack due to metal fatigue over time.

For commutting, especially given the lack of regard for aesthetics :D, a front flap(which you can make from dpc, milk cartons etc) is a great addition for dry feet and drivetrain longevity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Second cdaly's suggestion. I had them and they were trouble free until I needed a wider one. Replaced them with cheaper Contec ones that were fine, but not as well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

I have a pair of Berthoud mudguards still perfect for the last 12 years. There are more types of aluminium available now. Honjo from cycles-ales-singer.fr.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

sks blumells ordered online from chain reaction cycles here

get the right set for your wheel and tyre size

a bit of fiddling to set up but great coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chromoplastic are good. Cutting the stays to length is tough without a dremel. Junior hacksaw takes forever and blade destroyed in process.

Agree on front mudflap. Can home-make or maybe get in Dutch Bike Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Chromoplastic are good. Cutting the stays to length is tough without a dremel. Junior hacksaw takes forever and blade destroyed in process.

A cable cutter will cut the stays...eye protection might be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I read that doing that ruins the cable cutters though. Maybe not. On the day I decided that I'd rather ruin the 50c hacksaw blade than risk ruining the cutters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I use an angle grinder with a cutting disc - quick and clean.

Advertisement