Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 tooth sprocket (SRAM PG1170)

Options
  • 14-03-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

hey folks,
    does anyone know where I might get an 11t sprocket - as in, just the 11-tooth one, not a whole new cassette.

I tried a shop in Dublin and they said they wouldn't be able to get it - suggested trying an online search but I can't see any individual sprockets.

I could just buy a new bike of course.... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Would a Shimano equivalent work? https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-ultegra-r80006800-11-speed-11-tooth-replacement-sprocket/aid:712498

On the other hand ask a large store (cycle superstore?) if they don't have a worn PG11xx cassette they want to bin - 11t cogs are unlikely to be worn out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a Sram Red 22 cassette, which is worn.
    It has an 11 tooth cog.
    As Alek says, the 11 tooth cog is unlikely to be worn out.
    Mine looks looks to be fine.
    If you think, it would be any good to you, P.M. me your details and I'll post it to you, F.O.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Alek wrote: »
    Would a Shimano equivalent work? https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-ultegra-r80006800-11-speed-11-tooth-replacement-sprocket/aid:712498

On the other hand ask a large store (cycle superstore?) if they don't have a worn PG11xx cassette they want to bin - 11t cogs are unlikely to be worn out...

hmmm! I wonder if the Shimano might do actually. I was in Superstore first and they said maybe for Shimano they could get one, but not for SRAM.
    Possibly they're just not available as spares - looks to be cheap enough for the Shimano one so I might give it a try and just see.

... - 11t cogs are unlikely to be worn out...

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It has an 11 tooth cog.
    If you think, it would be any good to you, P.M. me your details and I'll post it to you, F.O.C.

ah that's a million for that - really appreciate the offer

I was thinking the same about the sprokets myself - I've never had to replace one before. This was my first SRAM cassette (and only got it because the missus has one on her bike* and they clean up so, so, sooooo shiny :o ). There's only 9000km or so on it, and I'm...lets say...not the most powerful person in the world.
    I do use the 11-sprocket for 2 sessions per month (just one hour each, 50x11 all the way round) so I think maybe, despite having the power output of a baby field mouse, I managed to wear it down a bit and now with my new chain on it's jumping every so often. Never happened with the ultegra cassettes....maybe SRAM is a little bit 'softer'.

*yes, I'm tempted to rob her one as she wouldn't use an 11t and wouldn't notice it, but if I got caught.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Chain skipping on the small cog is usually due to a stiff link / lack of lubrication / grime build-up on the chain itself. Been there, done that!

I honestly doubt you have worn out the 11t cog, not wearing out the others :)

• Advertisement

Chain skipping on the small cog is usually due to a stiff link / lack of lubrication / grime build-up on the chain itself. Been there, done that!

I honestly doubt you have worn out the 11t cog, not wearing out the others :)

yeah I think you're right: I was actually just checking there - I used the "11-tooth replacement sprocket" text description from the link you sent above, to see if I could locate one with that search-string from someone/thing on eBay or whatever...
    Anyhoo, it threw up a couple of results, one of which was to lube the KMC MissingLink before fitting it - have to say I've never done that but yeah I think you're right in that it might just be that link being stiff. Can't see myself wearing out the sprocket.

The KMC link is not directional, so it's not that.
    The chain is cut one more link shorter this time than my old chain, so I might have to reposition the mech a little bit with the adjuster screws as well.
    Chain is brand new - cassette is sparkling clean, so grime etc isn't it.
    It's Di2 so not a cable tension thing, and I tried the micro adjusting to eliminate it being the mech trying to hop up onto the 12t sprocket due to mal-adjustment.

Hopefully it's just the lube - I'll do that tonight and test again tomorrow.

thanks for the suggestions! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

@Eamonnater, if that offer stands, I'd appreciate it if it's not taken-
    It has an 11 tooth cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

P.M. your details.
    I'll post tomorrow,
    E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

P.M. your details.
    I'll post tomorrow,
    E.

Thanks!!! Done!!

Advertisement