Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver and Vancouver Island

Options
  • 14-03-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Planning to Visit Vancouver and Victoria in September
    Can someone advise on the Best way to get to the Island? we are planning on hiring a car for BC and a second car on the Island.
    Any local information very much welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Long time ago so don’t have any exact info but I got the ferry it was a nice trip with no hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My son lives on Vancouver Island,when we visited him 2 years ago we got the ferry from Vancouver to the island and then a bus to Victoria which took about an hour, we also hired out a car on the island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

I hired car in Calgary for 3 weeks and traveled around Alberta and BC. Visited Vancouver Island as well by ferry. You can buy ferry tickets in advance or at the approach to the terminal. They even let me use ferry leaving 2 hours earlier because there was a space. they are very flexible.

PS. Whistler is located 121km from Vancouver downtown and it is a must visit place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You can use the Sea Planes as well, we didn't as thought our luggage would be too much (we were on a long honeymoon). We actually got to Victoria from Seattle by ferry (loved Seattle) we'd been in Vancouver earlier on the trip.
    We hired a car - Ford Mustang convertible (not a car nut but loved driving that) it didn't cost much more than a normal car. We only spent the night in Victoria, I wasn't mad about Victoria, very English small town vibe to it which the yanks and Canadians love but not what I was looking for.
    We drove over to Tofino which we just loved, great vibe lovely scenery. Vancouver Island is pretty big so you could spend a good bit of time there. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Planning to Visit Vancouver and Victoria in September
    Can someone advise on the Best way to get to the Island? we are planning on hiring a car for BC and a second car on the Island.
    Any local information very much welcome

You can take your car on the ferry but it's expensive enough.

It's $12.70 per passenger and $57.50 per car each way. (The car fare doesn't include any passengers).

http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares/pdf_format/BCF_Fares.pdf

The other option is to get the bus to Tsawwassen from Vancouver to get the Ferry and then get a bus from Swartz Bay to Victoria but that'll add a few hours onto the journey. It depends how much you value your time.

Advertisement