Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset Disintegrated

Options
  • 14-03-2018 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Went for a spin last night only to notice a lot of play in the headset. Initially thought the wheel wasn't secured properly as I replaced the tyre but it was indeed the headset.

Inspected it this morning. I originally posted a thread here where the bike shop said I needed a new cassette and headset on a relatively unused bike (2,000km, 1yr old). The headset/fork was fine on my last spin in January before I brought it to the bike shop, they were the ones who said I needed a new headset.

Looking at it today it just seems there's the fork then the bearings and the upper half of the casing in the frame. From what I remember, having the fork off over a year ago, there should be a fully sealed unit in the frame as I remember spinning it back and forth. The bearings don't touch the fork?

Now I'm trying not to be tinfoil hat, but there was no play on my last spin or any from last year and the bike was in the shop for gear adjusting then they start telling me I need a new headset.

Before I email Canyon regarding new parts, what are the causes here and why are my bearings fecked? This is all very strange and it's not something I could have forgot to put on because the unit is sealed and wouldn't come off and I've only had the fork off once, close to when I got the bike.

15e5PPe.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

If you search this thread you'll see many instances of people ranting about canyon headsets. Part of the problem is canyon use smaller than average lower bearings.
    I've been riding a canyon since 2015 and have come to accept that the lower bearing on canyon acros headsets decay more quickly than others.

I clean/regrease regularly, replace the bearings and entire headsets myself now.

To be clear - my next bike will be a Canyon - I'm willing to accept this higher than normal maintenance/replacement aspect of Canyon headsets - knowing that everything else about the bike is punching WAY above what I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Take off your tin hat...your LBS told you you needed a new headset (bearings) and looking at that photo they were right.

I take it that's a photo of the lower headset bearing? I assume the upper one is not as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

mcdonrob wrote: »
    If you search this thread you'll see many instances of people ranting about canyon headsets. Part of the problem is canyon use smaller than average lower bearings.
    I've been riding a canyon since 2015 and have come to accept that the lower bearing on canyon acros headsets decay more quickly than others.

I clean/regrease regularly, replace the bearings and entire headsets myself now.

To be clear - my next bike will be a Canyon - I'm willing to accept this higher than normal maintenance/replacement aspect of Canyon headsets - knowing that everything else about the bike is punching WAY above what I paid.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue other people are having, problem is I only found out after I got the bike. Doesn't really help me much, mainly about people getting bearings from a company in Dublin. Problem is mine is fecked altogether and it seems sites are no longer selling them separately and you need to buy the whole headset and most of them don't match and out of stock.

The frame also broke on my previous Canyon completely out of the blue so my track record with them isn't good.

I think I'll just get this headset replaced and it will be the last road bike I purchase for a long time...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Doesn't really help me much, mainly about people getting bearings from a company in Dublin. Problem is mine is fecked altogether and it seems sites are no longer selling them separately and you need to buy the whole headset and most of them don't match and out of stock..

Do your own research and it’s totally up to you.
    All I can advise is what I did... I sourced sealed upper and lower bearing units on eBay and bought 2 sets.
    Brought one set to my LBS fo fit, next time I fitted myself. The last time I bought the complete headset from Canyon (via online chat is best to verify model etc....)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

mcdonrob wrote: »

do you need a headset press-tool to fit the bearings??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

devonp wrote: »
    do you need a headset press-tool to fit the bearings??

No. They drop in easily.(2014 Ultimate SLX)

Eamonnator wrote: »
    devonp>do you need a headset press-tool to fit the bearings??
    No. They drop in easily.(2014 Ultimate SLX)

I know it's a Pressfit BB tool and it was at the extreme ends of the thread but I was able to use http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/x-tools-press-fit-bottom-bracket-installer/rp-prod155423 for final push. Maybe as Eamonnator found I didn't need it, but I had it to hand so used it.(2015 Ultimate AL SLX)

Advertisement